Hill and Bates

Inigo

Great wee partnership of old head and youngster today. The big success of the day for me.

Thought Hill played a captain's role and young Bates played superbly. Bates maybe missed one tackle and had one bad pass, otherwise his reading of the game, distribution, heading, tackling and positioning were very good. 

Encouraging stuff from Bates, and I just wish we'd brought Hill in a few years ago.

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, PRW. said:

By far Bates best game for us today.

Goncalves and Johnson are two decent, physical opponents and he done well against them.

Usual solidness from Hill, real shame he is leaving.

Was covering well down the right flank for Tav also. Looked quicker than usual today

1 minute ago, BlueAvenger said:

The 2 of them did well today but they are not good enough for next season.

If he continues like that he certainly is as one of 4 centre halves.

Bates still has a lot to learn, but as others have said I thought he played very well today. Seems to have stopped panicking when he has to pass the ball out from the back as well. :thumbup:

Hill has been a great professional all his playing days, age has just caught up with him unfortunately and we need a younger version for next season, wish him well for the future. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Lets not get carried away, we were at home against a ten man hearts team for over an hour

Nobody is from what I can see. All of the comments so far seem to be quite tempered. 

The second part of the comment is pretty irrelevant to the fact that almost everything he did, he did well (which was quite lot, considering that despite them being down to 10, they controlled much of the second half and had a lot of position in our half).

Praise is due today, there's no doubt about that.

Don't know what game people were watching but I thought Bates was rotten again. Hearts got in behind us countless times and if they had better strikers they would have taken at least a point from that game. The boy isn't good enough. 

Young Bates is painfully slow but he does make it up for that with his positional sense, and surely Pedro realizes that Clint is our best CH, only reason I can think of in letting him go (apart from his age) is that he is pretty sure that he has a couple of CH's certain of signing.

29 minutes ago, kaiser1041 said:

Couldn't agree more and Bates never hides which is an added bonus

Yep. The boy, at very least, seems to have balls and a good attitude.

Probably more than that if today is anything to go by. We shall see...

13 minutes ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

Don't know what game people were watching but I thought Bates was rotten again. Hearts got in behind us countless times and if they had better strikers they would have taken at least a point from that game. The boy isn't good enough. 

The only times Hearts really got behind us was from the fullback positions and after a break when the centre halves were up for a corner.