Midfield

5 hours ago, onefootwillie said:

Are there any of our midfielders that are up to the task . I am struggling to think of any who would be worth a place even as back up. This for me is our weakest area of the team 

Miller was our best midfielder.

Tells the story.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment our midfield is full of players who are more akin to playing as an attacking option and they are all like for like. We have been screaming out for a player with a bit of a physical presence and a defensive mind-set. Initially Halliday was asked to fulfil this role but it is not natural to him and his ability to sense danger and be in the right position has been shown up since we came back to the premiership. This position is anchor in midfield is a must during the close season along with a central defensive partner ship. This would allow the likes of Windass, Miller etc to play in their more familiar role. I thought Windass made some good runs today in the attacking sense.

It was our strongest area at the start of the season. It is now the worst. And considering how bad our defence and attack is, it says a lot.

Saying that, we are still 3rd and in Europe so it won't take a lot to make big strides in the next few years if the recruitment is right. As the season draws to a close it's obvious we underestimated what was needed to challenge the scum but I also didn't realise how really poor the rest of Scottish prem is. We have been the worst we have been since the 80s yet we can still beat most of this shite.

Get a decent midfield, a strong spine and a team capable of beating most teams home and away and all it comes down to is 4 games against they manky bastards.

Battle is on.

On reflection, we require steel throughout the team, we are powder puff through and through bullied everywhere we go. Making crazy tackles may look hard, it isn't,it is stupidity and lack of ability.

3 minutes ago, thedonald said:

On reflection, we require steel throughout the team, we are powder puff through and through bullied everywhere we go. Making crazy tackles may look hard, it isn't,it is stupidity and lack of ability.

The only reason defence and attack arent highlighted as much as the midfield atm is due to two aging players - hill and miller.

Like you said it's the whole team, and frankly we wont be relying on hill as he's away, and we cannot rely on miller - because it would be stupidity.

Like Pedro said the only place he doesn't have a problem is goalkeeping, and wes has turned out to be the best of the signings which I predicted when bread was bringing all of these lads in.

11 minutes ago, thedonald said:

Spot on ,we need steel everywhere but any new signing must use their brains as well , getting send off for crazy tackles will not help us. I just hope we can get some players in soon that have the character and strength first game in Europe is at end of June.

18 hours ago, mearns loyal said:

Could anyone explain what Windass actually brings to the midfield...

Yea! A fucking poofy Alice band for his hair....Apart from that? fuck all to be exact.

2 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Spot on for me. I don't see where people think he is a good player. Midfield is one position where you can't hide, but he somehow manages it.

I played midfield my entire adult life along with guys who were brilliant ball winners in the tackle; guys who could sweep behind the defence and pass the ball to me perfectly to let me set up attacks and be in the opposition box when I needed to be...For me, Windass can do none of this, yet he is classed as an attacking midfielder? Apart from getting hauled down outside the box yesterday all he did was mishit 5-10 yard passes and did nothing in the way of helping our defence.

If I was Pedro I would have hooked him after the first 30 minutes as he was fucking horrific. It shows you where we were pathetic when our entire midfield were hooked with still 20 minutes left to go and an 18 year old youth player comes on and at least showed some determination to do his best.

Midfield as we know it this season is no more than a cosmetic veneer of what a proper Rangers midfield should be.

Did the midfield unit function over the course of the season to consistently produce performances that could be assessed as 7 or better out of 10?  No.

A score much closer to 1 out of 10 is, imo, more accurate.   

There is no doubt in my mind that a far more competent, combative and creative midfield needs to be created.    That alone would be a tall order but when added to the need for a far better CB partnership and defence, and strikers that can actually score goals then the scale of the rebuild needed - and scale of the appalling legacy left by Warburton - is there for all to see.  

19 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

In your opinion. I think he has something and reckon that in a team with better quality around him he will show up well.

It is all about opinions. However, some people's opinions are hard to understand. I keep saying it; Windass is worse than two men short. Bet you any money you think Garner is good.

3 minutes ago, ronniescu said:

It is all about opinions. However, some people's opinions are hard to understand. I keep saying it; Windass is worse than two men short. Bet you any money you think Garner is good.

No actually I don't. But if I was garner I would be raging at how he has been played. He has always played with a partner so think he has been dealt a shitty hand being isolated up top.

37 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

I played midfield my entire adult life along with guys who were brilliant ball winners in the tackle; guys who could sweep behind the defence and pass the ball to me perfectly to let me set up attacks and be in the opposition box when I needed to be...For me, Windass can do none of this, yet he is classed as an attacking midfielder? Apart from getting hauled down outside the box yesterday all he did was mishit 5-10 yard passes and did nothing in the way of helping our defence.

If I was Pedro I would have hooked him after the first 30 minutes as he was fucking horrific. It shows you where we were pathetic when our entire midfield were hooked with still 20 minutes left to go and an 18 year old youth player comes on and at least showed some determination to do his best.

I'm trying hard to accept Pedro but my faith is waining fast when I see Windass being involved. I cringe ery time I see him in posters' suggested line-ups. He's horrendous. Does nothing except continually give the ball away. 

1 hour ago, Ozblue said:

Yea! A fucking poofy Alice band for his hair....Apart from that? fuck all to be exact.

Fkn detest fannies that wear Alice bands. Unless your name is Amoruso or Buffon .... then it's allowed. And shoelaces round your napper is only allowed if your name is Pedro Mendez. 

13 minutes ago, ronniescu said:

I'm trying hard to accept Pedro but my faith is waining fast when I see Windass being involved. I cringe ery time I see him in posters' suggested line-ups. He's horrendous. Does nothing except continually give the ball away. 

I have to admit some of his selections and formations have me wondering if I have to go to specsavers when I see the team names come up on the telly, but then I reason there could be several reasons for it like guys swinging the lead at training, injuries we don't know about, players who know they are getting shafted so couldn't give a fuck whether they play or not etc, so I will give him a decent go at it before I get too critical....All this depends of course how much King and the board are willing to invest in his style sand methods.