McKay Keen To Stay

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take whatever we can get for him - attitude is shite, he has had a lot of game time to prove himself and he hasn't done it. Having one good game every 4 months isn't worth it.

If he looked like he applied himself and wanted to develop as a player then you might say keep him, but there's nothing to suggest that his attitude is any different to when he was farmed out on loan in the lower leagues

Only player in the squad that's actually a good footballer. Ridiculous that people want him gone given the state of our current squad. Our squad needs a major overhaul and getting rid of McKay should be way down the list.

One of the few with any real quality. 

1 minute ago, rangersmad86 said:

But but but wingers don't need to tackle and tell me a winger that is consistent ?. I'd piggy back him to any club that gave us decent money and wish him all the best

How mch would you pay for a worker who only turns up once every four months?

It won't be decent and rightly so. We are deluding ourselves with this waste of a jersey.

He has probably demanded a lot more wages and Rangers are holding out, Not worth more in my opinion, not a first team pick as he is a shite bag when the going gets rough, Don't let the last couple of goals go to your heads as soon as he signs it will be back to the player we know who turns up 1 in 10.

1 minute ago, jackrfc95 said:

Only player in the squad that's actually a good footballer. Ridiculous that people want him gone given the state of our current squad. Our squad needs a major overhaul and getting rid of McKay should be way down the list.

One of the few with any real quality. 

WTF in your mind is a good footballer? Can he beat a man? Consistently deliver a final ball? Has vision? Head a ball? Positional awareness? Physical presence? Guile? Prolific goal scorer? Physical toughness? Mental toughness? 

Pray tell wtf he is good at? He's had two fucking years to prove himself.

This thumbsucker turns up at the wrong game every week. This shitebag is all that is wrong with this squad and should be the furst out the fucking door.

Has he consistently delivered 7 out 10 types of performances in the games he's played this season?   I don't think so.

Is he 'man' enough for the way the Manager wants the game played next season....aggressive, pressing, 'defend the team & defend the coach' and does he have enough of all the other characteristics the Manager has been setting out?    I'm not convinced. 

Is he capable of delivering 7 out of 10 on a consistent enough basis next season under Pedro's coaching and requirements of ways to play?  I'm not convinced.

Is he capable of keeping his thoughts away from the media so that business is conducted inside Ibrox and not a negotiation in public played out via the Scottish media?    Seems he is quite prepared to step outside the notion of keeping business matters in-house at Ibrox by being prepared to plea his case via the media.   I wonder if Pedro will be best pleased about this when he sees the press cutting.  

The thing is though I think he is better than most of the other first team squad members which probably does not say a lot in their favour.   The point being that others are, imo, much further ahead of him in the exit queue so unless there is a bid for him I can still see him being around Ibrox next season.  But if so he'd presumably not be one of the core players the Manager talks about.  Why?  ........because he can't or won't hit 7 (and better) out of 10 performances often enough.

10 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Not a popular view I know, but I'd let him go for good money. He has talent in spades, but he hides for a big percentage of the game and is a bit of a shitebag.  I know he has scored a couple of face saving goals for us but he doesn't have the attitude or bravery to back that up consistently .  I want better.

I'd agree with this. If a decent offer came in we should accept it and reinvest the fee

Like most of his team mates this year he just hasn't performed well enough at a higher level,we keep rolling out excuses for them but they're just not good enough.

I hope McKay proves me wrong if he stays but to move on as a club we first need to identify those who can stay and see us improve and those who aren't good enough.

Sadly there's plenty to choose from in the not good enough category.

6 minutes ago, jbm26896 said:

Agreed - don't understand the constant criticism on here 

It's because he very very rarely shows any of his ability in a game.

It's much more frustrating to have a player with ability just not bother his arse week after week than it is to have a player with limited ability trying his heart out and coming up short

11 hours ago, Captain Hilts said:

I've noticed a change in his attitude in the last 2 games. The head is up alot more. 

The talent has undoubtedly always been there, but not always the attitude. 

Playing for his new deal. Seen it before with countless players, he'll come on to a game until he puts pen to paper and then go back to being anonymous.

Just now, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Playing for his new deal. Seen it before with countless players, he'll come on to a game until he puts pen to paper and then go back to being anonymous.

The cynic in me is thinking the same.

Would like to think Pedro is having a positive influence on him though. 

1 minute ago, Captain Hilts said:

The cynic in me is thinking the same.

Would like to think Pedro is having a positive influence on him though. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see us cashing in tbh. With Pedro talking about needing warriors and men in the team I don't really see where McKay fits in there.

I'm a little surprised that quite a few are so willing to be happy for him to leave. I get that he has been inconsistent, I get that he looks like he lacks heart at times and I get that he is frustrating as fuck, however I genuinely believe he is one worth keeping. He is still easily one of our best players. Admittedly, that may not say much but in terms of a squad overhaul, I think we would regret it if he left, and right now, IMO, he is the least of our concerns.

McKay has so much raw talent, and the key, like every player is to get the best out of them on a consistent basis. If Pedro has any belief in his own managerial ability, then he will be believe he can mould and develop McKay into a complete player. He has far more positive attributes then negatives and with the correct guidance could evolve into a very good player. There's not many within our squad who IMO we can improve as a player to a level good enough for us but McKay is certainly one of them. 

In fairness to McKay it's been quite a unique journey. When McKay first broke onto the scene in the 3rd Division he looked bright. Suddenly though he was shipped out on loan. He then burst his balls, doing extra training for the arrival of Warburton to make an impression. Warburton was impressed and last season, for his first full professional season, at a club as demanding and critical as ours, at a time when promotion was essential, IMO he was a huge success. I think most of us believe Warburton didn't quite have a ruthless streak and almost accepted not winning every game. That must filter through to the players. If you have that mentality instilled to you it can be easy to lack aggression,hunger and fight. It's not righ, it's not acceptable t but it's understandable if you lack leadership from the top. It's clear to me Pedro does not lack aggression. If he can instill this into McKay, we could have a heck of a player on our hands. With the right mentality, application, aggression and desire McKay would be an incredible asset.

You've also got to appreciate, this as his first season in the SPL, kwhere collectively we have been a shambles at best, and quite frankly pretty much everyone comes out of this season with no credit. It's not as easy as just wiping this season for our memory but the reality is we're not going to change about 20 players. On that basis McKay HAS to stay IMO as he CAN offer us something.

His goal against Partick, just one of many incredible pieces of skill over the last few seasons, was so impressive. To pull the ball out of the sky, to dink it over the defender, show composure, and then calmly slot it away was a thing a of beauty. Not many players have the first touch, awareness, vision and technique he has and without exaggerating, not many players have that goal in their locker. It's the type of goal, if Messi scored, everyone would be wetting their pants. Coincidentally, if McKay was currently with another club, and we seen his obligatory Youtube showreel (which I know can be doctored and manipulated) would have us all very excited, especially compared to some names we've been linked with. For us to sign another 22 year old from another club with his raw ability, IMO would be a) hard to get and b) very expensive, especially when you consider how much mediocre teams like Motherwell, Sheep and Hivs are valuing players.

McKay is far from the finished article, he's even admitted this himself. Not one player can be forgiven for only turning up a few games a season. It's simplay not good enough. If he continues to do that then I agree he has to move on. However, with the new manager coming in, a new philosophy, a new mindset, a different way of coaching, playing and playing alongside better players, I believe McKay will thrive. I also think, like a lot have touched upon, a change of position may help. I'm not for one second comparing players or clubs, not even remotely, however, you look at guys like Bale and Henry at the start of their career, and at times they were indifferent, and very hit and miss. Once they found the right manager and right position then suddenly their careers went through the roof. There are many other players who fall into this category. Even Hazard last season, he was absolutely terrible but now this season he is magnificent again. Again, i'm not comparing players, clubs, leagues, opposition however there are many factors that can impact a player being inconsistent, which I fully appreciate McKay himself has to take responsibility for.   

Even if some don't want him, it makes sense to give him a new deal just to increase the transfer fee we may get as I do believe clubs will be interested. With only one year left we won't get as much as I believe he may be worth. That said though, I personally hope we do keep him, play him more centrally, alongside better players, instill that steely determination and aggression into him and let him shine. Regardless of what happens nexy season is going to be a huge season for McKay..............