Barjonas on Miller

SuperTav

JAMIE BARJONAS has thanked Light Blue mentor Kenny Miller for helping him on the road to first team glory at Rangers.

The midfielder made his Gers bow in the win over Partick Thistle last weekend and was handed his Ibrox debut by boss Pedro Caixinha on Saturday.

Barjonas replaced Jason Holt midway through the second half and produced a solid performance as Caixinha’s side clinched a 2-1 win.

The 18-year-old has made the step up from the Gers Development Squad and he is grateful for the words of wisdom from experienced campaigner Miller.

He said: “Kenny Miler has been a big influence. He comes in on his days off to help the 20s and comes to 20s games.

“He is a brilliant athlete and he gives all the boys good motivation. He is a good role model for me personally and all the rest of the Under-20s.

“If you have got something to ask, he will sit down with you for hours and speak to you about whatever you want to speak about. He is always there to help and always there to motivate you.

“He just says to enjoy yourself, play your game and don’t be nervous, no matter if you are playing in front of 40 people or playing in front of 50,000 people.

“Just do what you are good at, keep the ball, get back into position and work as hard as you can. That is all you can do.

“I have got a bit of strength about me, a good range of passing and I think my best strength is my composure on the ball.

“I have confidence to take the ball, keep the ball under pressure and keep it for the team.”

It has been a dream week for Barjonas as he has made his first two outings in Light Blue and helped Rangers to successive Premiership wins.

Boss Caixinha is set to overhaul his Gers squad in the summer but the midfielder is determined to remain in the Portuguese’s plans.

He said: “I am just taking every day as it comes, working as hard as I can in training and trying to catch the gaffer’s eye. When I get on the pitch, I let my feet do the talking and trying to do as much as I can for the team.

“I am just taking every day as it comes. I am trying to kick-on as much as I can and working as hard as I can.

“I am hopeful [I can still be involved]. He is going to bring in quite a few players but I like that, it is a challenge.

“Even if I am back down to the 20s, I will work as hard as I can and hopefully push on and get as much first team experience as I can.

Good to see that the mentoring Kenny has been doing with the Under-20's is rubbing off. He's the perfect player to have in there with the amount of experience under his belt. I hope he goes on to become a coach for us in the future, hopefully his attitude and talent as a player will transfer over to the coaching side.

I'd like to see Barjonas get more minutes in the next two games as well.

24 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Looked composed when he came on, hopefully gets a run in the next couple of games.

Think the lad getting on ahead of Halliday tells a lot about the managers thinking of Halliday.

Worse, he brought Waghorn on in midfield ahead of him too. Tells you all you need to know. 

5 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

Should get him out on loan next season and see how he progresses same with beerman

seen Barjonas a few times in the reserves and he didn't stand out for me

Can't see any of them going out on loan next season after the news they will be playing the cream of Europe at their age group plus 1 game a month against the senior teams of lower leagues here. 

3 minutes ago, lazza1873 said:

Sounds like a Daily Record story...

To be fair, it was before he had that job.

That said, i still don't know if it was him who was saying it, it was when folk were touting him for the number 3 job.

11 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Millers' not doing it out the kindness of his heart, he is only doing it to further his own career.

Sure i read that on here.

Think it was @The Dude who said something along those lines?

He's doing it as it's part of the requirements of his completing his coaching badges. He needs to do so many hours of practical coaching before he can complete his badge.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

To be fair, it was before he had that job.

That said, i still don't know if it was him who was saying it, it was when folk were touting him for the number 3 job.

It was me that said it. I make no bones about it. It's part of the requirements for him to complete his coaching badges. He didn't wake up one day and decide to just go help the 20s.

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It was me that said it. I make no bones about it. It's part of the requirements for him to complete his coaching badges. He didn't wake up one day and decide to just go help the 20s.

That article reads as if Miller is enjoying doing the role and making lots of time ( sometimes hours) for the lads to pass on any experience he can.

No disputing that he will require to have practical coaching/managenent skills to complete his badges, it's pretty much the same in most industries, but he appears to be applying the same commitment to it that he did his entire playing career.

Great pro.

Just now, The Dude said:

Another loyal reader I see.

Haha not really wouldn't waste my time on their bile.

Was tongue in cheek my comment, I knew it was before you go the job with the furore of the other week in mind. 

And for the record wasn't a dig on your new role, not anyone's business to tell someone how to make a living. Enjoyed your content on the u20's along with Elf. 

5 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

That article reads as if Miller is enjoying doing the role and making lots of time ( sometimes hours) for the lads to pass on any experience he can.

No disputing that he will require to have practical coaching/managenent skills to complete his badges, it's pretty much the same in most industries, but he appears to be applying the same commitment to it that he did his entire playing career.

Great pro.

From everything I've seen and my brief chats with him, he does seem to be really enjoying it. Tbh, I'd expect him to give it the same commitment that he does playing. It's not been something that's ever been in question throughout his career.  He's a fantastic pro and has been ever since breaking through at Hibs.

I recognise that Miller isn't doing this out of the goodness of his heart, but he has to start somewhere if he is to pursue a coaching role in the future. I'm glad that he has got involved with our youth setup and that the lads are learning from him, and seem enthusiastic about him being involved.

Being able to communicate to the younger guys what it means to win 3 titles, a Scottish Cup and a League Cup as a Gers player, and the expectations of the Club and fans that comes with being a Rangers player can only be a good thing.

Lee Wallace is another who is getting his coaching experience, albeit with Tynecastle, and who can hopefully impress onto the younger generation the loyalty and commitment needed to become an ambassador for the Club. 

1 hour ago, there'sonlyoneamoruso said:

Is it too much to ask of the lad to start him against the Sheep?

Agreed, would you consider starting a few more youngsters as well? I know our home record against they bastards is at stake but wondering if there would be real value in blooding a few more youngsters ahead of next season. Burt, Wilson even Rudden?!

14 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Agreed, would you consider starting a few more youngsters as well? I know our home record against they bastards is at stake but wondering if there would be real value in blooding a few more youngsters ahead of next season. Burt, Wilson even Rudden?!

TBH I wouldn't go too mad with the changes. We are pretty poor at the moment and I'd rather keep the record against Aberdeen.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

From everything I've seen and my brief chats with him, he does seem to be really enjoying it. Tbh, I'd expect him to give it the same commitment that he does playing. It's not been something that's ever been in question throughout his career.  He's a fantastic pro and has been ever since breaking through at Hibs.

Stenhousemuir, do your research .:tongue: