Kenny Miller thinks he's Messi

graeme_4

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

He is, when he's in his best position. 

I hold no grudges, apart from the fact I don't think he should ever be in the HoF. 

He's the hardest working player in our squad, but sometimes you need to work smarter rather than harder. And he's shite / wasted when he drops deep to try and play a role he just isn't capable of playing. 

Sound's as if Miller isn't the only one tracking back OP. :lol:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disagree on two fronts. Firstly, Miller has been superb for us all season and is one of the few players who can hold his head high. A superb professional who hopefully can continue to have a role at the club for many years. Secondly, I don't think he has ever been a natural finisher, he's been a 2nd striker for most of his career - someone that has scored 10-20 a season, not the 25 goals you'd expect from a first striker. Part of our problem is our supposed Number 9s over last few years are totally inadequate - we waste chance after chance. I think he is playing in the correct role for him taking into consideration the players around him - the fact that a 37 year old is running, dropping deep and showing more drive and commitment than any of our deeper players should be a source of severe embarrassment for our whole midfield.

He gave the ball away cheaply in the second half which let the opposition start a dangerous counter.

Instead of chasing back he actually shuffled into a further forward position, pretending he was a forward and abdicating himself of any responsibility to defend.

And he did the exact same thing in the previous game against hertz.

He always finds a place in the team in a variety of positions he can't play and always plays 90 minutes even when he's obviously knackered.

15 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

Disagree on two fronts. Firstly, Miller has been superb for us all season and is one of the few players who can hold his head high. A superb professional who hopefully can continue to have a role at the club for many years. Secondly, I don't think he has ever been a natural finisher, he's been a 2nd striker for most of his career - someone that has scored 10-20 a season, not the 25 goals you'd expect from a first striker. Part of our problem is our supposed Number 9s over last few years are totally inadequate - we waste chance after chance. I think he is playing in the correct role for him taking into consideration the players around him - the fact that a 37 year old is running, dropping deep and showing more drive and commitment than any of our deeper players should be a source of severe embarrassment for our whole midfield.

Would you not agree that this season he has been our most natural finisher? 

21 minutes ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

Disagree, none of the other players are brave enough to try and make something happen. But if there's only 1 player on the team trying to make stuff happen it usually goes tits up

Maybe in the next match we could play Barjonas and Holt, with Windass ahead of them; Miller playing up front alongside Garner.

25 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Would you not agree that this season he has been our most natural finisher? 

I take your point but I think there is a difference between being our top scorer and a natural finisher. He has stepped up as Waghorn, Dodoo and Garner etc have been so awful in front of goal. I think he has 13 goals...so not a great return for a striker compared to what we've been used to previously. Not to detract from his performances at all though.  

Just now, DrLaudrup said:

I take your point but I think there is a difference between being our top scorer and a natural finisher. He has stepped up as Waghorn, Dodoo and Garner etc have been so awful in front of goal. I think he has 13 goals...so not a great return for a striker compared to what we've been used to previously. Not to detract from his performances at all though.  

I feel this year he plays a very different game to what he did in the past: before he used his pace and either running with or on to the ball. This season he appears to be getting into positions within the box more; exemplified by his goal up at Inverness and a similar one he scored a few weeks ago. I think on that basis he has become our most natural finisher. You''re right though, we haven't had great returns on our strikers, and hopefully we find someone a lot better next season.

Miller has been our best player in all sorts of ways this season. 

If only the others had half his desire when he puts on the jersey, nevermind his goals, even at his age.

Unfortunately it also shows how shite the others are as well, as Miller's only doing what is expected of a Rangers player. 

37 minutes ago, King Jela said:

He genuinely makes us worse when he drops deep. He isn't a good enough footballer to be a no.10, he should be up front or on the bench. 

That was the case last night, he had a few misplaced touches, and couldn't open their shape up the way a more natural midfielder would have done. His touch, for that particular role, is fairly poor.

8 hours ago, Inigo said:

To be fair, he's got 4 goals in the last 7 games and 2 top drawer assists. Not sure he's been that ineffective. 

I think Miller has generally been pretty good. 

10 goals and 7 assists in 2700mins of league football.  I think "ineffective" is a good label for Kenny when you look at this season as a whole.  He's done a bit more the last few months but that certainly doesn't make up for 6 months of nothingness.

1 hour ago, DrLaudrup said:

Maybe he'd have scored a bit more if he was playing upfront and told to stay upfront :dunno:

When he's coming deep to take the ball off the defenders then helping defend at RB and all over the place it's no wonder he's only got 13 goals.

Yes, Kenny is no Messi and is too old for centre mid but surely even his critics can see our season would have been even more fucked without him. The fact he is playing there because he is marginally better than our other shite midfield choices says a lot about our other options just now.

You cannot ask any more of a player than that he gives 100% every game. If that is not good enough then it isn't really the player's fault - he is in the wrong position or the wrong team.

maybe focus the criticism on the shitebags whose biggest effort all game is pulling the jersey over their head  :dunno:

17 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Anyone else completely exasperated with Kenny Miller at the moment? 

I don't question his effort, or his desire to win, but he's completely ineffective in this new "no. 10" role.

He's an instinctive finisher, and can usually sniff out a chance, but his touch, vision and ability to pass a ball are generally shite. He's never been that kind of creative player, and at 37 never will be. He just doesn't have the ability to play that Messi style role for Rangers.

I get the needs must given our injury and bawbag crisis list of casualties, but he is not suited to this position at all. Spends the game giving the ball away and then moaning at seemingly everyone and anything. 

Not sure how much is his own doing, and how much is the managers telling him to play deep - but I cannot get my head around the thinking behind it at all. 

Played Garner in twice and Joe should have buried them.

51 minutes ago, BluebearDory said:

Yes, Kenny is no Messi and is too old for centre mid but surely even his critics can see our season would have been even more fucked without him. The fact he is playing there because he is marginally better than our other shite midfield choices says a lot about our other options just now.

You cannot ask any more of a player than that he gives 100% every game. If that is not good enough then it isn't really the player's fault - he is in the wrong position or the wrong team.

maybe focus the criticism on the shitebags whose biggest effort all game is pulling the jersey over their head  :dunno:

I never normally listen to woman when it comes to football. I know it's sexist but it's just the way I am. But, I couldn't have said that better myself. 

2 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

For the OP to pick out Kenny Miller for criticism, in that squad, suggests to me that Miller has horsed his wife or girlfriend.

There's a joke in there somewhere about going too deep :lol: 

19 hours ago, onefootwillie said:

This for me his the main reason for our poor season

There's a reason why Warburton went and signed Kranjar, Rossiter and Barton...to sort out the midfield.

Yeah that didn't work out we know, but now Pedro is putting Miller in there simply because the others who are fit/left are not fit for purpose.