Players being told today

Ivybank

22 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Horrible as it is, the goal next year is not to win the league, its to come second and close the gap.

That is just unfortunately where we are at the moment.

No point in wasting a wage who will never be good enough to get to where we want to be, free up his wages and spend them on someone who after a year will be fully settled and ready to help us win the league

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

You said you expect us to win it. That means you think that we are the favourites to win the league.

If you mean that the goal should be to try and win the league, then I agree, we should try to win the league, but I dont expect us to win it.

If we come second and run them close, then we have shown good signs of progression. This would be a successful outcome and give us something to build on.

If we win it, against all the odds, it would be wonderful and unexpected. To expect it is just silly though, and reeks of 'uber staunchness'.

That outlook can become permanent; don't kid yourself that it it's something you can turn off and on. This is Rangers we're talking about. We need to really break free from being through the lower leagues. 

21 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I can't see Waghorn, Kiernan, Forrester, Holt, Halliday or Hodson being here next season. Not sure about Tavernier, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was leaving.

I think Holt will still be here. Useful squad player. 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No point in wasting a wage who will never be good enough to get to where we want to be, free up his wages and spend them on someone who after a year will be fully settled and ready to help us win the league

Agreed.

If we can get shot of him and replace him with someone who can do a better job then I would be all for it.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

You wouldn't beat them playing with that. We did nearly beat them here though, playing a different way though!

But under your definition, we failed in that game.

I think we were very successful.

We held our own and put up a hell of a fight, we didnt win but we took a hell of allot of pride from it. It was not a failure.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

But under your definition, we failed in that game.

I think we were very successful.

We held our own and put up a hell of a fight, we didnt win but we took a hell of allot of pride from it. It was not a failure.

I'm not trying to be clever, but I didn't see it as failure, although it was frustrating that Cousin didn't take his chance. 

2 minutes ago, Dougie_B said:

Apparently Pedro is targeting 12 new players. Will take a while for them to bed in but likely that Alves has said yes to coming. 

I read it was five very decent/great signings and 4 squad players was on FF posted by a guy who quite accurate at times.

32 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Horrible as it is, the goal next year is not to win the league, its to come second and close the gap.

We should be building a squad to win the league with the minimum aim being second

Our "goal" should always be to win the league it should never be to achieve second, we can maybe expect second but we shouldn't aim for it

3 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Probably right. I'm not a fan, mainly because of his final ball, but it would make sense.

Probably on fairly modest wages and has a good attitude so would expect him to still be around. 

2 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

We should be building a squad to win the league with the minimum aim being second

Our "goal" should always be to win the league it should never be to achieve second, we can maybe expect second but we shouldn't aim for it

I don't want to get too existentialist here, but if you aim you expect; it could be argued!

I'm thinking he's told...

Hill, Senderos, Windass, Crooks, Toral Hyndman, Halliday, Kiernan, Forrester, Hodson, Waghorn, MOH its game over. 

I think he would like to keep Mckay and Tav but if sufficient bids came in and he was guaranteed the cash they would also go. 

Garner, Wilson, Wallace, Miller, Dodoo and the kids are those he's keeping IMO. 

It makes sense, because he apparently has 5 top players he wants who will be the core of the first team, with another 4 good enough squad players. 

I can see us lining up next season

Fod

Abella Alves Wilson Wallace 

Jack Rossiter (if fit) 

Dorrans Mckay McLean

Garner

Alnwick, Dodoo, Krancjar, Miller

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

I'm not trying to be clever, but I didn't see it as failure, but it was frustrating that Cousin didn't take his chance. 

I do understand what you are trying to say. It just boils my piss when 'expect' is used to say something other than it means.

If someone says that they 'expect us to win every game in the Europa League next season', then they by default 'Expect us to win the Europa League'.

This means they think we actually will win the Europa League.

Of course, they dont think this is the case. Its just an expression that they want the team to do as well as possible and give everything they can on the park.

If the team do this, and they comfortably take second place, but fall just short of actually winning the league against a team with a much higher budget than us, then I think this would be considered progress and something that we can build on.

Success to me right now would be getting thing in order to stop them getting 9/10 in a row. If we cant get our shit together and stop them doing this, then it really is a failure. I dont expect to win the league next year, but I do expect us to improve, if by a miracle we do win it, then it will be the best title in our history.

41 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Couldn't bring myself to put a 'like' to this.....but unfortunately I am in full agreement, we've still a long way to go!

We'll get there!

'Mon The 'Gers!

Never Forgive Never Forget

22 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Forest already have players in their positions who are more highly rated than them so I don't think he will.

Exactly folk that think he's going to come here and raid our team are in dreamland,we ain't that lucky and as you say they have better players in every position than us

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Unfortunately we lack quality in so many areas that financially that may not be possible for every player. It will take time and if that means retaining someone who isn't going to be part of the title winning team but may be required due to injuries and suspensions then so be it.

If we have a young promising player in the developoment squad then I completely agree, bin the other dud and give the youngster the experience.