Welcome To Rangers Fabio Cardoso

Guest Lloyd72

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rangers already have one half of next season’s centre-back partnership in Bruno Alves, and they appear to be closing in on the other half in the form of Fabio Cardoso. The 23-year-old is a graduate of Benfica’s academy who moved to Vitória de Setúbal last summer in search of first-team football, signing a four-year deal. After establishing himself in the first-team around October, he would go on to play 23 times in the Primeira Liga. Largely he impressed and is looked upon as an intriguing prospect within Portuguese football.

Partnering him with Alves should work very well for Cardoso’s development. In many ways, they do tend to complement each other. Alves is a dominant centre-back who’s excellent at winning aerial battles, and isn’t afraid to tear into challenges. He’s looked upon as a fiery character, but does have great experience having featured at the highest level in Portugal, Russia and Italy, as well as on the international stage with Portugal.

Cardoso is much more mild-mannered in comparison. He’s not particularly robust in the tackle or in the air. He won only 53.18 per cent of his aerial duels in Portugal’s top flight last season (61st among all defenders who spent time at centre-back). Instead, he looks to sniff out danger with his anticipation and positioning, which has been widely complimented on.

2 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Huge signing by all accounts. Great age, great value, great potential. A partnership of him and Alves is a massive step up. Reminiscent of Weir and Carlos with Alves nurturing young Fabio although arguably these two are an upgrade on those two. If they're anything like Weir and Carlos we're absolutely laughing.

My thoughts exactly it has a big Carlos feel about it.......Big Carlos was a relatively unknown to us apart from the Europa league games......plying his trade with a mid table Spanish side we weren't sure what we were getting......that all changed as we got a cracking big centre half, I hope if Cardoso proves to be every bit as successful here then we build a team round about him and don't just punt him a year later for a tidy profit, it's up to the board to make sure that we don't need to sell players the minute they are a success.

59 minutes ago, thehost said:

Good to see we are bringing players in.

How good is the Portuguese premier league?

Was Ranked 5th in Association Ranking for the Champions league. So 3 teams, Benfica were auto to the group stages. Think Porto were the play off round. Sporting made the groups but in with Real and Dortmund.

Benfica ans Porto went out in the last 16.  To Juventus and Dortmund.

Its a good league, high standard and a number of future superstars linked for big money moves this summer. Miles ahead of the Spl.

Delighted with the potential and i am sure we have a cracker 

12 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

My thoughts exactly it has a big Carlos feel about it.......Big Carlos was a relatively unknown to us apart from the Europa league games......plying his trade with a mid table Spanish side we weren't sure what we were getting......that all changed as we got a cracking big centre half, I hope if Cardoso proves to be every bit as successful here then we build a team round about him and don't just punt him a year later for a tidy profit, it's up to the board to make sure that we don't need to sell players the minute they are a success.

Scenes if he starts to produce performances like big Carlos in Florence!

2 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Huge signing by all accounts. Great age, great value, great potential. A partnership of him and Alves is a massive step up. Reminiscent of Weir and Carlos with Alves nurturing young Fabio although arguably these two are an upgrade on those two. If they're anything like Weir and Carlos we're absolutely laughing.

Has anybody seen the guy play? Cos rob keirnan was the right age when he signed.

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

I noticed the gaffer says this gives us options now we have 4 Cb's  Kiernan not one of them I havn't seen him in pics at the training group has he been told to stay away

We've also got 5, unless he's not including Danny Wilson because of his injury?

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

He wasn't mentioned by the manager when he named the 4. 

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

We've also got 5, unless he's not including Danny Wilson because of his injury?

Pedro says we have 4 Alves, Cardoso bates wilson.. He said Bates and Cardoso will start together (I assume he means in first round of the EL)

Hes punted Kiernan but with the window not open yet has he been told to stay away

7 minutes ago, gersandy said:

Has anybody seen the guy play? Cos rob keirnan was the right age when he signed.

I doubt many of us have, myself included however I don't think Kiernan was ever tipped to be a future Portuguese international nor did he receive glowing reports from a wide number of those who have seen him play week in week out in his homeland. We can only rely on those who have seen him for now and by all accounts many in Portugal think very highly of him.

Of course the proof will be in the pudding. Let's hope he's a success.