Mayweather vs McGregor - August 26th

Ryan_1

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, callumbo87 said:

On what basis will Mayweather be hit badly?    He may be 40 and slower than his prime but no boxer other than castillo and

arguably De La Hoya have ever come close to beating him. Difference between them and Mcgregor, both were celebrated amateurs

with years of dedication and had been fighting boxing champions.   

Hell, a young Alvarez(arguably weight drained) could not lay a glove on Mayweather and he was 24 and in his prime.

McGregor has never had a pro boxing fight in his life and lets be honest from online spars he looks terrible with poor technique.

Agreed . Mayweather lets boxing down  and himself by taking this charade .

Marciano's record is one of the most amazing in history and this guy insults his memory by taking this on .

I thought he was better than this . Sadly , he is just a greedy bastard .

It will be over in 2 rounds and hope he still cripples the Irish bastard .

Having said that . A cut up is not out of he question ..... See greedy bastard  in earlier text

1 hour ago, KingKirk said:

The only way McGregor wins is if he makes Floyd work for every minute of every round.

Agree but he wont have the stamina to do this and throwing leather without actually connecting tires you out mentally and physically.

Maidana, Castillo, Gatti, Alvarez etc etc have all tried to pressure him with consistent punch output but his shoulder roll

and fast counters swiftly made them demoralised and drained. These guys were true boxing champs, Mcgregor has no chance.

I predict this will be like the Gatti fight, pot shotting with mid round tko.

33 minutes ago, callumbo87 said:

Agree but he wont have the stamina to do this and throwing leather without actually connecting tires you out mentally and physically.

Maidana, Castillo, Gatti, Alvarez etc etc have all tried to pressure him with consistent punch output but his shoulder roll

and fast counters swiftly made them demoralised and drained. These guys were true boxing champs, Mcgregor has no chance.

I predict this will be like the Gatti fight, pot shotting with mid round tko.

Hard to shoulder roll a south paw, leaves you open for a straight left. I doubt you'll see an awful lot of that in this fight, which is a shame because watching Floyd shoulder roll is a joy.

McGregor looks good for someone who is not a boxer. He would probably beat our local fighter Scott Quigg already and he's thought for Boxing world titles. With a good bit of work he probably give the likes of Ricky Burns a run for their money. That's good considering he's in a different sport and has to train kicks and other stuff. 

Thats the level were guys are fighting for world titles and sometimes winning them. Not bad at all. Guys like this though are not good enough to be one of the dominate fighters in their division like a Ricky Hatton. They just manage to win belts for a little while. Your Hattons usually destroy these type of fighters and stop them going any further.

Above dominant champs in divisions there is the guys who clear out and move through divisions fighting all the top guys. The P4P elite fighters of the day. The guys who have a chance of being considered all time greats. Floyd is near the top of this list. He beats you up standing his ground, on the back foot, and even when lying against the ropes. It's why fighters stop being so aggressive against him. He bangs their heads around good whilst they are the one throwing most punches. He's done this to the likes of Canelo, Marquez, and Pacquiao. He's also better than most of the top guys coming forward. 

So McGregor doesn't have any chance other than the daft hope of landing a big punch. It's just too big a jump for anyone to be expected to do. The boxing pundits are getting carried away though when the say things like a good amateur would beat McGregor as lots of lower level boxing is poor. We must all have seen terrible British level bouts. McGregor looks much better than some of these guys for me.

Mayweather is a different kind of animal though. Look what happened when a gate keeper like Hatton stepped up. He went flying head first into the corner and went to sleep. It was even dangerous when Hatton faced Pacquaio. It's just a completely different level again. I think Hatton would destroy McGregor too.

It being Floyd is the only thing that will make this fight last past three rounds. I will be suspicious if it goes past six that he's carrying the MMA lad because the difference in ability and experience is so wide. Someone said about the fight being a health risk and it's true. If Mayweather was really serious about ending this fight then it would be a bad beating almost from the start.

I'm just glad McGregor never called out Golovkin. Although maybe the authorities wouldn't be dumb enough to sanction that one.

I haven't seen anything that suggests McGregor beats any World-level fighter tbh. 

Dana's carefully edited leak of sparring may have looked good, but he showed absolutely no discipline against a sparring partner that clearly had no intention of hitting him back. 

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

I haven't seen anything that suggests McGregor beats any World-level fighter tbh. 

Dana's carefully edited leak of sparring may have looked good, but he showed absolutely no discipline against a sparring partner that clearly had no intention of hitting him back. 

I was trying to give the guy some credit because I've seen some boxing people completely disregard his ability and talk like any decent amateur would clown him. There are also a lot of poor boxers out there. The local fighter where I live, Scott Quigq, has fought for world belts and is considered decent but doesn't look much better than guys like McGregor could be with some work. But I mean with a lot of training that would be the best I could see McGregor reaching although I still think he'd lose to guys like Ricky Burns. I was more trying to depict the difference in this situation at best for a guy who is not a full time boxer. I don't think he has any chance of going beyond round 9 and even then it will only be because Mayweather fucks around taking the piss out of him. 

6 hours ago, William McBeath said:

McGregor looks good for someone who is not a boxer. He would probably beat our local fighter Scott Quigg already and he's thought for Boxing world titles. With a good bit of work he probably give the likes of Ricky Burns a run for their money. That's good considering he's in a different sport and has to train kicks and other stuff. 

Thats the level were guys are fighting for world titles and sometimes winning them. Not bad at all. Guys like this though are not good enough to be one of the dominate fighters in their division like a Ricky Hatton. They just manage to win belts for a little while. Your Hattons usually destroy these type of fighters and stop them going any further.

Above dominant champs in divisions there is the guys who clear out and move through divisions fighting all the top guys. The P4P elite fighters of the day. The guys who have a chance of being considered all time greats. Floyd is near the top of this list. He beats you up standing his ground, on the back foot, and even when lying against the ropes. It's why fighters stop being so aggressive against him. He bangs their heads around good whilst they are the one throwing most punches. He's done this to the likes of Canelo, Marquez, and Pacquiao. He's also better than most of the top guys coming forward. 

So McGregor doesn't have any chance other than the daft hope of landing a big punch. It's just too big a jump for anyone to be expected to do. The boxing pundits are getting carried away though when the say things like a good amateur would beat McGregor as lots of lower level boxing is poor. We must all have seen terrible British level bouts. McGregor looks much better than some of these guys for me.

Mayweather is a different kind of animal though. Look what happened when a gate keeper like Hatton stepped up. He went flying head first into the corner and went to sleep. It was even dangerous when Hatton faced Pacquaio. It's just a completely different level again. I think Hatton would destroy McGregor too.

It being Floyd is the only thing that will make this fight last past three rounds. I will be suspicious if it goes past six that he's carrying the MMA lad because the difference in ability and experience is so wide. Someone said about the fight being a health risk and it's true. If Mayweather was really serious about ending this fight then it would be a bad beating almost from the start.

I'm just glad McGregor never called out Golovkin. Although maybe the authorities wouldn't be dumb enough to sanction that one.

This fight as a fight is a complete mis-match and an absolute joke. McGregor would struggle against English title fighters never mind one of the best boxers of this generation. You state that he would probably beat Quigg and give Burns a run for his money, based on boxing skills I dont think he would get close to either of them plus he is fights at 20 lbs more than Burns and also 30 lbs on Quigg so you would like to think with the extra weigh he would have a chance but he would still get his arse handed to him. If you were making a comparison the same weight the Mayweather easily out boxed Canelo, Canelo easily beat Liam Smith and then Liam Smith was in a proper scrap with the British champion Liam Williams which was a close fight and only got stopped due to a cut. I personally think that Williams smashes Mcgregor.

Mcgregor has talked himself up so much that people are actually starting to believe in it. If I picked out an amateur and who had an unbeaten record and put him in against Mayweather people would be slagging him rotten and tbh the last couple of fights people were slagging him for fighting Berto and he had 33 fights by then.

10 hours ago, lidorfc said:

Hard to shoulder roll a south paw, leaves you open for a straight left. I doubt you'll see an awful lot of that in this fight, which is a shame because watching Floyd shoulder roll is a joy.

Yeah good point! Watched the Judah and Mosley fights again and he seemed to employ a higher guard and took the lead in exchanges. 

Mosley in his prime would have taken Floyd out after he hurt him, especially the second time, hence why Floyd in my book would just scrape into top 10 of all time.

It wont matter what defensive strategy he employs for this fight, McGregor wont see the punches coming and importantly I don't think will land a decent punch on him.

1 hour ago, james_85 said:

This fight as a fight is a complete mis-match and an absolute joke. McGregor would struggle against English title fighters never mind one of the best boxers of this generation. You state that he would probably beat Quigg and give Burns a run for his money, based on boxing skills I dont think he would get close to either of them plus he is fights at 20 lbs more than Burns and also 30 lbs on Quigg so you would like to think with the extra weigh he would have a chance but he would still get his arse handed to him. If you were making a comparison the same weight the Mayweather easily out boxed Canelo, Canelo easily beat Liam Smith and then Liam Smith was in a proper scrap with the British champion Liam Williams which was a close fight and only got stopped due to a cut. I personally think that Williams smashes Mcgregor.

Mcgregor has talked himself up so much that people are actually starting to believe in it. If I picked out an amateur and who had an unbeaten record and put him in against Mayweather people would be slagging him rotten and tbh the last couple of fights people were slagging him for fighting Berto and he had 33 fights by then.

I'm not starting to believe in any hype. I only follow boxing and don't really like MMA but I've seen plenty of poor world champions and plenty who got title fights who were far from good. I obviously meant if they were the same weight too.

McGregor with a good bit of training and warm up fights would be no worse and possibly better than guys like Quigg in my opinion. We've had a few Scottish fighters like this win world belts over the years such as Pat Clinton or Paul Weir. McGregor's KO of Alverez was better than what I've seen guys like that do. With the right coaching and tune-up fights I see no reason why the guy would not become as good as your average boxer who gets a world title fight.

I seen Smith's fight with Canelo. That's kind of what I'm saying about the elites being far superior to even good guys in the divisions. Beneath the good guys though there are a lot who are not very good. That's why guys like Smith rack up a lot of wins in the first place. As for the William's fight, I never seen it but what I said is I've seen some really poor boxers fight for British titles.

Do people believe that the greater mass of professional boxers are blessed with great fighting ability and McGregor couldn't live with any of them no matter how much training he did? Of course not and that's what I'm saying. With the right training he would at least give the guys I've mentioned a run for their money let alone the many poorer ones who win nothing.