Macaroon Bars and Chewing Gum

Was reading an old thread about what it was like in Ibrox in the 60s-80s, everyone mentioned macaroon bars and chewing gum and all the other stuff like wee guys wearing helmets and standing in empty cans to see the game, folk pishing on each other, the songs they used to sing etc, folk wearing half a dozen scarfs tied to each limb etc, love those types of threads

But I've always wondered, how did macaroon bars and chewing gum become the popular items for sale? :lol: just always sounded a bit random to me :lol:

Older Bears - post your stories of the old days at Ibrox,  love reading them

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, With Heart and Hand said:

Was reading an old thread about what it was like in Ibrox in the 60s-80s, everyone mentioned macaroon bars and chewing gum and all the other stuff like wee guys wearing helmets and standing in empty cans to see the game, folk pishing on each other, the songs they used to sing etc, folk wearing half a dozen scarfs tied to each limb etc, love those types of threads

But I've always wondered, how did macaroon bars and chewing gum become the popular items for sale? :lol: just always sounded a bit random to me :lol:

It was same wee guy that sold them at very away game. He used to walk the terraces.

7 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

It was same wee guy that sold them at very away game. He used to walk the terraces.

Quite a short guy, always wore a beat up suit or jacket. Carried his wares in cardboard box and his sales pitch ended with drawn out Bars, with a particular emphasis on the rs. He sometimes expanded his stock with Mars Bars and would change his sales pitch accordingly. 

10 minutes ago, Jakes Pal said:

Quite a short guy, always wore a beat up suit or jacket. Carried his wares in cardboard box and his sales pitch ended with drawn out Bars, with a particular emphasis on the rs. He sometimes expanded his stock with Mars Bars and would change his sales pitch accordingly. 

That's him

23 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Wish we knew where he was .If he is still alive .Always cheered me up when I was younger . Seeing his cheeky face and his weird catchy way of selling  .

Being nostalgic but they were great times being on the old terracing

i am old enough to remember that  was the same at all grounds  he had a distinctive  cry get your macaroon bars and chewing gum                                                                                                           e

Aye! none of your fucking Pizza slices or fancy croissants with Adriatic mince back in them days, sonny Jim....I've actually see guys that pished they would shove the chewing gum in their gob then take a bite of their Macaroon bar straight after it...Can you imagine those two things mixed together? :rofl:

His cry was:

'Ere 'e spearmint chewing gum, chocolate, macaroon bars!!!!

Translation:  There are the spearmint chewing gum, M&B chocolate bars, macaroon bars.

The way he shouted it made it sound as if it was just the one item.

There was also the guy at the top of the stairs selling cheese rolls and spam rolls.  He sold the spam as ham.  Had them in a large cardboard egg box.  The cheese rolls were edible but I always felt you took a chance with the spam ones.

16 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

His cry was:

Translation:  There are the spearmint chewing gum, M&B chocolate bars, macaroon bars.

There was also the guy at the top of the stairs selling cheese rolls and spam rolls.  He sold the spam as ham.  Had them in a large cardboard egg box.  The cheese rolls were edible but I always felt you took a chance with the spam ones.

Spam's good for a few days out the fridge :crabflute:

30 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

His cry was:

Too be fair .I never once had food poisoning where's as I do remember they used to boil the onions in the snack bars 

Give me the boak thinking how ill I was eating from them in those days 

Have to say I always liked the rolls and the macaroons .

40 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

His cry was:

The rolls at the bottom of the box were a nono as the pish from the terracing seeped through the cardboard box onto the rolls.

8 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Too be fair .I never once had food poisoning where's as I do remember they used to boil the onions in the snack bars 

Give me the boak thinking how ill I was eating from them in those days 

Have to say I always liked the rolls and the macaroons .

Never mind the onions being boiled so were the  burgers ans0d as you say thinking about them gives you the boak.

40 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

His cry was:

Them rolls were howling but if you'd have a few pints and had the munches it was easier than standing in the Q for pies especially at away games.

47 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

His cry was:

Spot on JCD ...

54 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

His cry was:

5 star dining on the slopes of Ibrox, when it was raining the rolls were fucked.

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

His cry was:

The guy with the box of rolls must have had an 'understanding' with the turnstile operators. It would be like Rangers allowing one of the street vendors to set up in the Copland concourse.

And yes, I did sample those cheese rolls, lovely when drunk.

Mentioned it before but always gives me a laugh thinking about it. 

Hampden in the seventies. Wee guys wandering down the stairs selling his macaroon bars. Takes a tumble and rolls down about twenty steps. Gets up and immediately shouts "get your broken macaroon bars here". 

Quality salesman ?

2 minutes ago, mearns loyal said:

Mentioned it before but always gives me a laugh thinking about it. 

Hampden in the seventies. Wee guys wandering down the stairs selling his macaroon bars. Takes a tumble and rolls down about twenty steps. Gets up and immediately shouts "get your broken macaroon bars here". 

Quality salesman ?

:lol::lol: only in Glasgow