Macaroon Bars and Chewing Gum

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tannerall said:

Those MB bars, a poor mans Fry's Cream. I never ever saw them in any kind of wrapper at any stage. Health and Safety hadn't been invented then.

865ed296ac9088279948e833393504dc.jpg

They sellers used to wipe their snotters on them before the games 

That's why they looked like they had been too close to some caramel wafers  ?

46 minutes ago, mearns loyal said:

Mentioned it before but always gives me a laugh thinking about it. 

Hampden in the seventies. Wee guys wandering down the stairs selling his macaroon bars. Takes a tumble and rolls down about twenty steps. Gets up and immediately shouts "get your broken macaroon bars here". 

Quality salesman ?

Absolutely brilliant :lol:

I miss the wee old guy that stood outside the stadium between the Govan and Copland in his sheepskin coat. His wee sales shout was 'get yer hats, scarves, pendants and badges'. Same shout every week. This was in the mid-late 80s. Think I got my first ever scarf from him.

Also the shite chocolate bars. Can't remember the brand, but they were wee rectangles in blue and white wrappers. And the 'Aye Ready' salted crisps.

3 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

Was reading an old thread about what it was like in Ibrox in the 60s-80s, everyone mentioned macaroon bars and chewing gum and all the other stuff like wee guys wearing helmets and standing in empty cans to see the game, folk pishing on each other, the songs they used to sing etc, folk wearing half a dozen scarfs tied to each limb etc, love those types of threads

But I've always wondered, how did macaroon bars and chewing gum become the popular items for sale? :lol: just always sounded a bit random to me :lol:

Great memories. Some amount of booze used to get taken in. In the 70s Oxford bags were popular (trousers for those who don't know) and they were great for smuggling in booze.  Football socks with 2 or 3 cans or half bottles tucked in each leg with bags hanging loose over the top. Hard to think we couldnt go a couple of hours without a drink. I'd have those days back any time.

1 hour ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Great memories. Some amount of booze used to get taken in. In the 70s Oxford bags were popular (trousers for those who don't know) and they were great for smuggling in booze.  Football socks with 2 or 3 cans or half bottles tucked in each leg with bags hanging loose over the top. Hard to think we couldnt go a couple of hours without a drink. I'd have those days back any time.

I thought you were allowed to take bevvy in back then?

My old boy used to tell me about him, my Granda and my 2 great uncles going in with a crate of beer and a quarter bottle of whisky each,  one of my uncles didn't even like football but he used to go every week for the bevvy :lol:

He said the weans would get sent to the front of the crowd and most of them wore hard hats because every time a decision went against us there would be a barrage of bottles launched at the pitch :lol:

I love hearing the old stories of back before the PC brigade. Folk passing around collection boxes for the UDA :lol:

I mind hearing a story of an away game in the 80s and a gas cannister exploded at a pie stall and folk started running on the pitch in a panic incase it was an IRA bomb that went off

Get your stories posted older bears! 

21 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

My old boy used to tell me about him, my Granda and my 2 great uncles going in with a crate of beer and a quarter bottle of whisky each,  one of my uncles didn't even like football but he used to go every week for the bevvy :lol:

He said the weans would get sent to the front of the crowd and most of them wore hard hats because every time a decision went against us there would be a barrage of bottles launched at the pitch :lol:

I love hearing the old stories of back before the PC brigade. Folk passing around collection boxes for the UDA :lol:

I mind hearing a story of an away game in the 80s and a gas cannister exploded at a pie stall and folk started running on the pitch in a panic incase it was an IRA bomb that went off

Booze was tolerated but in my day you couldn't flaunt it like take a crate through the turnstile.

Was at a game when the cans and bottles were flying and saw a pommagne bottle smash on a blokes head. He just rubbed it and walked away without a cut. Some games were scary. If you watch a movie like 300 where they group under their shields while hundreds of arrows rain down it was like that except cans and bottles. I kid you not.

Edit: Hampden was the worst place. Not so bad at Ibrox

3 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Booze was tolerated but in my day you couldn't flaunt it like take a crate through the turnstile.

Was at a game when the cans and bottles were flying and saw a pommagne bottle smash on a blokes head. He just rubbed it and walked away without a cut. Some games were scary. If you watch a movie like 300 where they group under their shields while hundreds of arrows rain down it was like that except cans and bottles. I kid you not.

Remember going to a midweek game at the piggery , 79 or 80 I think , where they scored the only goal in the last minute and it literally rained bottles at the Rangers End.

Pretty sure someone got a serious injury at that one. But the amount of stuff thrown was unbelievable.  

A mate who's name was Laverty and his nickname was "Shunkey" was at a match in Kilmarnock early 70's and safety hats were all the rage.
This wee guy in front of him ended up getting his helmet used to pish in and getting bailed out in a corner to save anybody getting it down the back of their legs.
Big smarmy cuntin polis came into the crowd to see what was happening and tried to put the helmet on my mate in a right fuckin scuffle.
Needless to say he spent the night in Kilmarnock police shop and I can tell you that quite a few cunts and myself managed to scud the big smarmy plod and a couple of his mates.

57 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I remember going to a game in the late 70s. One of my mates was steaming and me and another mate had to help get him through the turnstile. As we approached turnstile copper at the side said, do you need a hand to get him in, lads, ha

You wouldn't get within 500m of the stadium in that state these days.

It was fkn mental in they days,our Supporters Bus was like mobile "Vicky Wine" we were only traveling from Springburn to Ibrox, Double Decker stowed left from Broomie Tavern/The Morven/Sherry's then sometimes The Cawder then on to Ibrox as you can imagine bus would be " jumpin" there would be a "sweepie draw out a number with R 2,3etc or the initial of he we were playing draw out Ref would be 0-0.

Sometimes asked to carry in 1/4 bottle cans the older lads would smuggle in, remember wearing safety hats painted with RFC or Union Jack, the battles sometimes were unbelievable bottles flying especially if a goal scored against us, Hampden you came out Rangers End manky the steps were batons divided by ash, when we scored you can imagine the dust. "Macaroon and Spearmint Chewing gum" "cheesy/meat rolls" and the crisps were "chipmunk crisps" if I remember right. As I was getting older yea cans open wider at the top for pishing in "customised to fit a "Wullie" yea remember sheets going round to help "Loyalist Prisoners Aid"

It was an Education especially when some of your teachers from your school were on the bus, going home was "bonkers" win draw or lose. Also from the Broomfield Tavern they ran a Rangers bus & a Tarrier bus ran from there as well, very rarely seen them. "Aye Happy Daze"