Macaroon Bars and Chewing Gum

10 hours ago, Big Al II said:

It was same wee guy that sold them at very away game. He used to walk the terraces.

More than one guy selling them and not just at Ibrox and WTF was the dry bread roll with a slice of pink 'cold meat' all about, you would get arrested for selling that crap nowadays.  To answer the op, the macaroon and chewing gum just always happened to be there but I have no idea of the history.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I remember a story from a previous thread about a few lads walking to an OF game and a gang of taigs start chasing them down the street until 2 Rangers buses stop and all the bears pile out to do them :lol:

My dad told me about when we played Milan in the 80s I think and he was on and bus to the game and as soon as they got to Milan every window on the bus got panned in and they had to drive home for 3 days in the middle of winter with no windows on the bus :lol:

Our bus had windows panned in at Easter Rd and Scumville

At Dens Park, early 80s, had pie and bovril stall at back of our end, i was a young :whistle: laddie at the time, the stall or now i think about it portacabin? pushed over off the supports below, staff were havin none of it, so everything all over the place, free pies,crisps chocolate etc

8 minutes ago, ps95v7 said:

Our bus had windows panned in at Easter Rd and Scumville

We got our windshield done in the day we beat United in Manchester.  Left Manchester about 10:00pm and all the way up to Glasgow with no windshield, everyone on the bus was freezing especially the poor bastard driver.

My father started taking me to Ibrox when I was nine, used to do the sweep on the the bus, hated it when I picked out O3 ( opposition No 3) or something like that, the chances of them scoring first was zero usually and you didn't want to win it if you didny have a R followed by a number, I used to stand on two beer cans at the railing so I could see and keep out the pish running doon the steps, there used to be wee blue three wheel invalid cars round the perimeter of the pitch at Ibrox.

24 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

After the game there were 2 lines of garda and the support had to walk between them like a gauntlet. They then began to hit their shields with batons nice and slow. Then the tempo increased and the banging increased. Someone shouted run and as we did the garda chased us and laid into everyone with their batons. Fuck knows if they just dont like Rangers, or if someone did something to really piss them off, but they were dirty bullying bastards 

Aye , we pretty much got chased by them right onto the buses where they were waiting there too and hitting fans as they got on . They were unbelievable. Saw one think he was being smart by blessing himself while another spat at the bus windows . So much for law and order . 

I'm 32 so dont have any particularly old stories but i also remember even in the 90's experiencing the floods of pish flowing past my feet. Glad that's been stopped. Imagine that still happening today? ?

My dad told me in the 70's and 80's he saw a bunch of tramps pishing in bottles and smashing them off the roof at away games so it would rain down shards of glass and broon dehydrated urine on the unlucky ones below :depressed:

And apparently he remembers going to Kilmarnock and they had a group of skinheed fans who were known to throw darts at the Rangers supporters in the past. Don't know if he's talking shite or not but if anyone can confirm similar incidents that would be great :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

His cry was:

'Ere 'e spearmint chewing gum, chocolate, macaroon bars!!!!

Translation:  There are the spearmint chewing gum, M&B chocolate bars, macaroon bars.

The way he shouted it made it sound as if it was just the one item.

There was also the guy at the top of the stairs selling cheese rolls and spam rolls.  He sold the spam as ham.  Had them in a large cardboard egg box.  The cheese rolls were edible but I always felt you took a chance with the spam ones.

My dad told me about the boy selling the rolls, quite often surrounded by a river of pish 

59 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

More than one guy selling them and not just at Ibrox and WTF was the dry bread roll with a slice of pink 'cold meat' all about, you would get arrested for selling that crap nowadays.  To answer the op, the macaroon and chewing gum just always happened to be there but I have no idea of the history.

They rolls were better than the shite we get noo.

Even if he sat the box doon on the stairs and the pish was running doon the stairs and under the box!

29 minutes ago, BearInTheWood said:

I'm 32 so dont have any particularly old stories but i also remember even in the 90's experiencing the floods of pish flowing past my feet. Glad that's been stopped. Imagine that still happening today? ?

My dad told me in the 70's and 80's he saw a bunch of tramps pishing in bottles and smashing them off the roof at away games so it would rain down shards of glass and broon dehydrated urine on the unlucky ones below :depressed:

And apparently he remembers going to Kilmarnock and they had a group of skinheed fans who were known to throw darts at the Rangers supporters in the past. Don't know if he's talking shite or not but if anyone can confirm similar incidents that would be great :thumbsup:

I remember a game at Rugby Park where we had tae avoid missiles which turned out tae be darts.

Bastards coulda killed somebody.

44 minutes ago, boabster66 said:

Remember the wee guy going up n down the old football specials (Train) selling his gear too great days lol i loved travelling on the train up to Sheep land 

Loved the trains and getting tanked up before matches. Remember the early 70's and a pub out towards Tynecastle and it was one of the first topless bars in Edinburgh.
The place was bouncing and I was probably the only cunt in the place who didn't know it had topless barmaids.
Managed to fight my way into the bar for 4 of lager and when I got in I couldn't keep a straight face,as behind the bar was a guy who was in the gang from around 68/69 and the gang was called Fa Fa after an Ottis Redding number. Jimmy had disappeared and hadn't saw him in a few year,and there he was large as life pulling pints surrounded by barmaids who were topless.
Honestly couldn't ask for laughing and had to fight my way back out and send somebody else back in for the beer.
Great days indeed and wouldn't have changed them for anything.
A million memories of following the only team I could've followed.:UK:  

The "Fitba specials" on the train in the seventies were only special cause the normal rolling stock was replaced by really old knackered carriages from the fifties that only got used for football carriages, as they always ended up a lot more damaged by the time they got back. We'd try and get on without buying a ticket, as that saved our money for more carry-outs and were usually successful. We'd take a big carry-out on the train. The trains were covered with dust and when you jumped on the seats it was like a sandstorm. Remember racing through stations on the way to the likes of Edinburgh or Dundee, and cans and bottles would get thrown out at randoms on the platforms in places like Croy and Falkirk. On quite a few occasions I saw an occasional nutter going round unscrewing the wee night light/reading light bulbs and lobbing them out at unsuspecting folk on platforms. 

The banter was great, the drinking was constant and we played cards on the way, I'd usually start off bad and be winning by end of the journey, but the winnings always went on an extra carry out when we got to the destination.

The safety chain would get pulled 4 or 5 times on the way and coming back which would add an hour or so to the journeys, and especially at Waverley the polis would be lined up with rows of big ferocious barking alsatians to keep  us on the straight and narrow up the steps and down to Princes street.

On the way home the toilet's would be more bogging than the one in Trainspotting, and most just peed through the open door window, or in the guards van.

For some reason the Rangers special  trains would always come back in to Glasgow via Springburn, then down to the lower Queen Street level, where we'd change train. The cellic fans coming back on the electric train from Bridgeton would clash with us occasionally but mostly they went straight through Queen Street stopping further up at Charing Cross. 

On one of the few occasions we returned back on the high level at Queen Street after the tunnell doing about 20 miles per hour, one of my mates was peeing out an open door as we went round the curve and fell out on to the track, a 5 foot fall, and had to come running after, doing up his trousers as he jumped back on the train for the last 100 yards.

At Queen Street the fans just piled through and there was no chance of anyone checking tickets.

Ah the good old days.

7 minutes ago, tannerall said:

On one of the few occasions we came in to Queen Street after the tunnell doing about 20 miles per hour, one of my mates was peeing out an open door as we went round the curve and fell out on to the track, a 5 foot fall, and had to come running after, doing up his trousers as he jumped back on the train for the last 100 yards.

tenor.gif

15 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

His cry was:

'Ere 'e spearmint chewing gum, chocolate, macaroon bars!!!!

Translation:  There are the spearmint chewing gum, M&B chocolate bars, macaroon bars.

The way he shouted it made it sound as if it was just the one item.

There was also the guy at the top of the stairs selling cheese rolls and spam rolls.  He sold the spam as ham.  Had them in a large cardboard egg box.  The cheese rolls were edible but I always felt you took a chance with the spam ones.

The cheese rolls were passable if you got them early, but I agree with you about the "Spamham" ones.I once got one by mistake and have never eaten Spam since :justno:

My old boy was telling me that at away games vs Hivs and the sheep you had to go teamed up because the bastards would try and ambush bears getting off buses

He was also telling me about the Dublin riots when we played Bohemians,  a tarrier ran on the pitch to wind us up and a bear ran onto confront him, the guarda let the tarrier go and started leathering the Bear which made the crowd go mental,  after the game they walked out and there was a big line of irish polis who started getting tore into every bear,  my dad ended up losing a shoe :lol: so they get back on the bus and my dad is expecting the bus to get back on the ferry home but the folk on the bus all go "did they not tell you? We're going to the Linfield game the morra!" So the bus heads up during the night thru bandit country with half he bus shiting it Incase bullets start coming thru the windows,  so they finally make it to the Sandy Row Rangers Club and the bus convener goes "everyone got digs?" Half the folk don't so the Bears start chapping random doors on Sandy Row asking of folk can take any Rangers fans for the nite,  my Dad stayed with an old Bearette who gave him a pair of her sons shoes to wear :lol: he met him at the next game at Ibrox and returned them :lol:

36 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

My old boy was telling me that at away games vs Hivs and the sheep you had to go teamed up because the bastards would try and ambush bears getting off buses

He was also telling me about the Dublin riots when we played Bohemians,  a tarrier ran on the pitch to wind us up and a bear ran onto confront him, the guarda let the tarrier go and started leathering the Bear which made the crowd go mental,  after the game they walked out and there was a big line of irish polis who started getting tore into every bear,  my dad ended up losing a shoe :lol: so they get back on the bus and my dad is expecting the bus to get back on the ferry home but the folk on the bus all go "did they not tell you? We're going to the Linfield game the morra!" So the bus heads up during the night thru bandit country with half he bus shiting it Incase bullets start coming thru the windows,  so they finally make it to the Sandy Row Rangers Club and the bus convener goes "everyone got digs?" Half the folk don't so the Bears start chapping random doors on Sandy Row asking of folk can take any Rangers fans for the nite,  my Dad stayed with an old Bearette who gave him a pair of her sons shoes to wear :lol: he met him at the next game at Ibrox and returned them :lol:

Haha

Thats some fuckin' story, ha