Macaroon Bars and Chewing Gum

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, tannerall said:

The "Fitba specials" on the train in the seventies were only special cause the normal rolling stock was replaced by really old knackered carriages from the fifties that only got used for football carriages, as they always ended up a lot more damaged by the time they got back. We'd try and get on without buying a ticket, as that saved our money for more carry-outs and were usually successful. We'd take a big carry-out on the train. The trains were covered with dust and when you jumped on the seats it was like a sandstorm. Remember racing through stations on the way to the likes of Edinburgh or Dundee, and cans and bottles would get thrown out at randoms on the platforms in places like Croy and Falkirk. On quite a few occasions I saw an occasional nutter going round unscrewing the wee night light/reading light bulbs and lobbing them out at unsuspecting folk on platforms. 

The banter was great, the drinking was constant and we played cards on the way, I'd usually start off bad and be winning by end of the journey, but the winnings always went on an extra carry out when we got to the destination.

The safety chain would get pulled 4 or 5 times on the way and coming back which would add an hour or so to the journeys, and especially at Waverley the polis would be lined up with rows of big ferocious barking alsatians to keep  us on the straight and narrow up the steps and down to Princes street.

On the way home the toilet's would be more bogging than the one in Trainspotting, and most just peed through the open door window, or in the guards van.

For some reason the Rangers special  trains would always come back in to Glasgow via Springburn, then down to the lower Queen Street level, where we'd change train. The cellic fans coming back on the electric train from Bridgeton would clash with us occasionally but mostly they went straight through Queen Street stopping further up at Charing Cross. 

On one of the few occasions we returned back on the high level at Queen Street after the tunnell doing about 20 miles per hour, one of my mates was peeing out an open door as we went round the curve and fell out on to the track, a 5 foot fall, and had to come running after, doing up his trousers as he jumped back on the train for the last 100 yards.

At Queen Street the fans just piled through and there was no chance of anyone checking tickets.

Ah the good old days.

Worst damage I saw done to a train was after the tarriers beat us 4-2 at the piggery to win the league in 1979. Got on at Bridgeton Central and by the time we got to High Street it was absolutely wrecked, no more than a five minute journey. We were all ordered off by the police, and sent up the stairs at High Street station to emerge in the midst of celebrating tarriers converging from the Gallowgate and Duke Street. Poisonous in the city centre that night.

Not read the whole thread yet but does anyone remember the guy with the tray hung round his neck walking round the red blaze round the park selling "Chipmunk" crisps?

I was there, down the front, with ma hard had painted red white and blue and ma hand knitted jumper that ma granny made me. The hard hat was to save your head incase some pissed up nutter from the back threw his empty hauf bottle and it never quite made the park.

Standing for hours outside the Honours Three waiting on ma Dad and his mates having a bevvy after the game

On 18/06/2017 at 1:06 PM, californiadreamin52 said:

Believe it was always qualified with Spearmint Chewing Gum 

Always remember it as Wriglies Spearment Chewing Gum. But time plays tricks with the memory. About all you could buy at the ground was a pie and bovril . If you had any sense you only did that once. 

I use to get the bus ? up to the old Kelvinhall then walk down to Yorkhill and get the ferry across to Govan. Any younger members - you can see a video of it on YouTube. Health and safety today would have a nightmare. Remember occasionally jumping to get on it. 

I remember a midweek game at Easter rd....im sure we lost 1-0 to a goal from snake eyes....anyway we were over at the fence when the wee macaroon guy came down with his pitch....some arseholes started grabbing stuff from his box which was shite but the wee guy just launched his boxes in the air shouting "fuck the lot of yous" it was shite but funny into the bargain. 

4 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

I use to get the bus ? up to the old Kelvinhall then walk down to Yorkhill and get the ferry across to Govan. Any younger members - you can see a video of it on YouTube. Health and safety today would have a nightmare. Remember occasionally jumping to get on it. 

I'm sure some daft bugger on here did a topic about that a few years ago..........

22 hours ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

I remember in the 70's ma old man taking me to games, used to get  these packets of boiled sweets, cherry flavour, never seen them anywhere else before or since, fuck knows where the guy got them from.

Could be Oatfields sweets from a wee factory in Donegal. Remember buying them from a guy in the Copland Rd concourse in the early 80's. Sounds like the man described selling the macaroon bars. 

This thread is great brought back some great memories when my pals came to the door and asked my mother if rab (me that's what they called me lol) was ready for the game we would walk along to scotstoun singing dancing drinking with scarfs round our wrists and neck Tammies on our heeds we would jump the number 9 to Patrick or yorkhill for the ferry the drivers of the buses didn't know what hit them :dance:absolutely brilliant days was mental :UK:

Love these old stories!

Seems crazy now,but I'd  prefer it like it was back then. Can just remember the all standing at a few games when I was really young maybe just Hampden

The story about people throwing darts....

My Dad told me that as well. Can't remember if it was Killie. Just that there was like a cage separating the fans so no bottles and that could go through, and folk were throwing darts.

The way he said it was like no one thought it was a big deal:lol:

So I don't think it was a one off!

Living in Easterhouse, we used to get the 41 bus into town then the subway from the old Buchanan St station next to Dino's café. On the way in and back, the windows on the bus would get panned from the taigs on Carntyne bridge at the bottom of Todd St, then by bears outside the Ballochmyle. Spent most of the journey on the bus floor and grateful for my hard hat :lol:

On 2017-6-19 at 1:38 PM, Falcoholic said:

Standing for hours outside the Honours Three waiting on ma Dad and his mates having a bevvy after the game

:thumbup:

I'm a child of the 90s,  but my earliest memories are of standing outside the Bells bar in Govan every other Saturday with a packet of crisps and a can of Irn Bru with my wee Brother and we'd spend our time playing with the broken bottles and half bricks that were lying all over the place,  happy times :lol: would never do that to my Daughter and my Dad even got a worried look on his face when I jokingly suggested we leave wean outside while we go for a pint :lol: times have changed but I wouldn't change mine,  every memory going to Ibrox as as a child,  even waiting outside the Pub in in the rain, is is a happy one that I'll always cherish

I feel lucky,  I got to go to Ibrox every other week as a kid and I knew  folk who had never even seen her and would have loved to have went,  but it was just a normal weekly thing for me and many of us,  I definitely appreciate it looking back

14 hours ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Love these old stories!

Seems crazy now,but I'd  prefer it like it was back then. Can just remember the all standing at a few games when I was really young maybe just Hampden

The story about people throwing darts....

My Dad told me that as well. Can't remember if it was Killie. Just that there was like a cage separating the fans so no bottles and that could go through, and folk were throwing darts.

The way he said it was like no one thought it was a big deal:lol:

So I don't think it was a one off!

Used to happen at Motherwell in the mid-seventies when they were more than a decent team. Was there when big DJ scored the only goal and both darts and golf balls were launched at us.

Over 25000 there that day 

I used to go to the away games in the football special train back in the late 80s (even then it was an ancient piece of rolling stock they kept for Saturdays lol) and one of the guys used to have a massive box filled with about 400 rolls and gammon he used to sell at the games. I never actually bought one but I expect they were a bit rancid :mutley: