Welcome to Rangers Alfredo Morelos

Guest Lloyd72

2 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I'm certain most managers are happy to defend a lead away from home in Europe.  Progres were going to come at us at some point during the game and out strategy would've been to get a goal once things started to open up.  The way we set ourselves up seemed reasonable enough we just couldn't execute it. 

Normally I would agree with your comment had we been playing a team of good quality. However, we were playing a part time team who were not great at all, but well coached and knew exactly what their individual roles were during both legs. We had to play with pace and a very high tempo from the start, and put the game to bed early on, without even waiting for the "game to open up" as you say. Anyway, I think the final result tells its own story about the way we both set up and played, tbf 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ryan_1 said:

He looked amateurish in his movements. 

The sort of runs you'd make at under 13 level and get away with it but at professional level it's easy to defend against. 

You could see Miller get extremely angry with the way he was moving. 

Give him more time certainly, but hoping to see big improvements. 

I said this after seeing him for 5 minutes in one of the friendlies, he seems to just run in a straight line toward the opposition goal without giving offside a second thought. Maybe at his last club he didn't need to worry about offside as he seemed to pick up the ball deep and run with it but playing off the last man means it's something he's going to have to be aware of. 

27 minutes ago, Truth_is_out_there said:

Normally I would agree with your comment had we been playing a team of good quality. However, we were playing a part time team who were not great at all, but well coached and knew exactly what their individual roles were during both legs. We had to play with pace and a very high tempo from the start, and put the game to bed early on, without even waiting for the "game to open up" as you say. Anyway, I think the final result tells its own story about the way we both set up and played, tbf 

I'm not making excuses for the team and it was indeed a hugely embarrassing result.  However, starting the game with two CDMs was the right move.  He was treating the opponents with respect and defending the lead with a view to getting a goal as and when things opened up.  If we started the game with Windass instead of Jack or Rossiter I'm not sure if it would've made much difference anyway. 

19 minutes ago, Cobham said:

I said this after seeing him for 5 minutes in one of the friendlies, he seems to just run in a straight line toward the opposition goal without giving offside a second thought. Maybe at his last club he didn't need to worry about offside as he seemed to pick up the ball deep and run with it but playing off the last man means it's something he's going to have to be aware of. 

At Ibrox he was caught offside a couple of times but the replays showed he was in fact onside.  That's always going to be the case when you're sitting on the last defender the way he does and waiting for balls to run on to.  It's frustrating to watch them getting caught offside all the time and you wonder if they even know the fucking rules but these guys often end up straight through on goal.  Filippo Inzaghi being a prime example of that playstyle (although I'm obviously not comparing their ability).

8 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

However, starting the game with two CDMs was the right move.  He was treating the opponents with respect and defending the lead

Clearly. I just can't agree that starting with 2 CDMs was necessary against the 4th team in Luxembourg. The result reflects this. 

2 minutes ago, thegambler said:

Clearly. I just can't agree that starting with 2 CDMs was necessary against the 4th team in Luxembourg. The result reflects this. 

There was still enough forward-minded players on the pitch to hurt that joke of a team though. Jack and Rossiter seem to be taking a lot of slack for the failings of our forwards, which isn't fair at all

8 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I'm not making excuses for the team and it was indeed a hugely embarrassing result.  However, starting the game with two CDMs was the right move.  He was treating the opponents with respect and defending the lead with a view to getting a goal as and when things opened up.  If we started the game with Windass instead of Jack or Rossiter I'm not sure if it would've made much difference anyway. 

It was the "right move" in your opinion. I completely disagree just like I did with our manager on Tuesday evening. We badly needed pace and injection in midfield - we could not achieve that with two holding midfielders and Niko. No way. And at the risk of going round in circles, we will have to agree to disagree.

Just now, Gaz52 said:

There was still enough forward-minded players on the pitch to hurt that joke of a team though. Jack and Rossiter seem to be taking a lot of slack for the failings of our forwards, which isn't fair at all

The whole team deserves the criticism. Yes, even with 2 defensive CMs we should have still beat them but it was the wrong call imo. I'm not convinced by Caixinha's ability to properly set up a team yet. Hopefully I will be soon. 

4 minutes ago, thegambler said:

Can't believe this was even a debate. The day we are accepting we need two DF Mids against the fucking fourth place team from the European powerhouse of Luxemburg, that's the day we should all fucking give up.

2 minutes ago, Truth_is_out_there said:

We badly needed pace and injection in midfield - we could not achieve that with two holding midfielders and Niko.

Windass has plenty of pace but he's shite and his lack of ability indirectly resulted in the other team scoring a couple of goals.  You would rather he started the match instead of Rossiter or Jack?  Our other midfield option that night was Waghorn.  You're asking for pace and by "injection" I'm assuming you mean quality?  I don't think we have those type of players at the club.

8 minutes ago, Ibrox_Nights said:

Can't believe this was even a debate. The day we are accepting we need two DF Mids against the fucking fourth place team from the European powerhouse of Luxemburg, that's the day we should all fucking give up.

It's not that we needed them - it's that there was no other senior midfielder to play. Other than Windass, but his contribution upon coming on shows why he shouldn't have been considered. 

That's not a defence of the performance or anything. We should still have been able to pump that team. The complete lack of urgency until the last ten minutes summed up the performance. 

17 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Windass has plenty of pace but he's shite and his lack of ability indirectly resulted in the other team scoring a couple of goals.  You would rather he started the match instead of Rossiter or Jack?  Our other midfield option that night was Waghorn.  You're asking for pace and by "injection" I'm assuming you mean quality?  I don't think we have those type of players at the club.

I didn't even mention Windass, you did. Holt would have been a better option imo. He's not a great player, but he's good enough to play against the 4th best team in Luxembourg ffs, and he can shift up and down the park a lot better. I do agree with your comments regarding Windass, but like I said you've got your opinion and I've got mine.  

One of the young guns could hardly have been a worse option; not that I think either DM played particularly bad, or even play Holt whom, far from being great, at least offers a bit more upfront. Personally wouldn't have done any of the above. I know there seems to be an aversion to a 4-4-2 these days for some bizarre reason, but if you have the squad we had available, train, prepare for and play a 4-4-2 for Christ sake. We were against a team of plodders who showed the square root of fuck all at Ibrox.

30 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Our forwards had zero chances created. Kris boyd made a decent career of it here because he took his chances. We are giving these guys nothing. 

Jack and rossiter should never have been played together and hardly set the world of football alight with their respective performances. They are those players that do a job for you in defense minded games. I'd argue neither shouod have been picked. Also as defence minded as they are, if they can't create openings against progres, there has to be questions as to whether they are good enough. 

Whole team was shite, but the midfield in particular didn't do enough, our strikers had no service at all. 

31 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Even for their limited abilities, the likes of waghorn, holt, mckay, forrester would have servred us better the other night. 

Im not saying i like them. Most should definitely be leaving this club, but playing rossiter and jack was a mistake. Id also have said barjonas or burt surely would have been obvious options also, but I'm not one of these that constantly clamours for our youth to play. The boss makes the decisions, he made the wrong ones. 

3 minutes ago, Ibrox_Nights said:

One of the young guns could hardly have been a worse option; not that I think either DM played particularly bad, or even play Holt whom, far from being great, at least offers a bit more upfront. Personally wouldn't have done any of the above. I know there seems to be an aversion to a 4-4-2 these days for some bizarre reason, but if you have the squad we had available, train, prepare for and play a 4-4-2 for Christ sake. We were against a team of plodders who showed the square root of fuck all at Ibrox.

Spot on mate. Don't get me wrong, I think Rossiter and Jack are very good players, and going to do a good job for us this season, but it's no coincidence that we almost scored in the last 10 minutes on Tuesday evening, when we started to load their box with strikers (Miller AND Herrera). I'm only saying that, on this occasion, due to the calibre of opposition we were playing, and the fact they were playing a fucking 5-5-0 at times, I would have preferred two strikers on from the start and go for the jugular!  

Two strikers, two strikers, mate??? In this day n age, your off your tattie :lol:

Sadly we don't have anyone who doesn't make us regularly look shite to play all these marvelous fashionable formations. Although, that said, I don't know if it's more horrific seeing Waghorn wide in a 4-4-3 or the man in the middle.

Herrera may not have managed 90 mins, but your right, we actually looked a threat.

Agree mate. It was not fucking Barcelona we were playing the other night! We fell for it line hook and sinker playing both a very slow tempo AND two holding midfielders from the start. There's going to be plenty of grounds we can deploy that line-up, but Tuesday evening, against part timers, who I had never even heard of before, was not one of them!

5 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

At Ibrox he was caught offside a couple of times but the replays showed he was in fact onside.  That's always going to be the case when you're sitting on the last defender the way he does and waiting for balls to run on to.  It's frustrating to watch them getting caught offside all the time and you wonder if they even know the fucking rules but these guys often end up straight through on goal.  Filippo Inzaghi being a prime example of that playstyle (although I'm obviously not comparing their ability).

It is a fair point, Inzaghi made a living of almost being offside and scoring goals from it.

5 hours ago, Truth_is_out_there said:

Spot on mate. Don't get me wrong, I think Rossiter and Jack are very good players, and going to do a good job for us this season, but it's no coincidence that we almost scored in the last 10 minutes on Tuesday evening, when we started to load their box with strikers (Miller AND Herrera). I'm only saying that, on this occasion, due to the calibre of opposition we were playing, and the fact they were playing a fucking 5-5-0 at times, I would have preferred two strikers on from the start and go for the jugular!  

yep - we treated the game like a 'training session' till we were down by two, then we upped the tempo but we should have been in about them for the whole 90 minutes, not the last 10 and for that I blame the manager who should have had us clattering after an early goal.