Iain Ferguson

hammer93

This is for older bears, I was watching games on YouTube last night and I came across games against Dundee in the early 80s the lad Ferguson scored a few goals against us and we eventually paid good money to sign him, again he looked decent in some of the highlights, what I want to know as my memory is a bit sketchy on this.....what happened to him.....did he flop, have a fallout with big Jock or was it the emergence of McCoist that eventually made him surplus to requirements.....I genuinely don't remember why he never made it at us during that period when we had players like Davie Mitchell, Bobby Williamson and wee fleck getting games?

IMO he couldn't really cope playing for a club like Rangers,a bit like Ian Redford who we also bought from Dundee I think Ferguson was decent but the expectation of being a Rangers player was too much at a difficult time for the club.

Both Ferguson and Redford moved to Dundee United and both done well there so maybe proof they were happy playing for smaller clubs.

If memory serves me right bit of a fall out with Jock Wallace for a spell , and transfer listed , then removed again until souness  sold him to Dundee u for 145,000

I  liked him as a striker we could have got more out-of him , scored few important goals  cup final winner and against inter Milan , but inconsistent 

1 minute ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

IMO he couldn't really cope playing for a club like Rangers,a bit like Ian Redford who we also bought from Dundee I think Ferguson was decent but the expectation of being a Rangers player was too much at a difficult time for the club.

Both Ferguson and Redford moved to Dundee United and both done well there so maybe proof they were happy playing for smaller clubs.

Think your being bit harsh on Redford mate , I thought he was a good player in an average team for us,

yes he had his off days and missed penalty in cup final but also scored winning goal in cup final in 82 was unlucky to be suspended for couple of finals ,I also remember reading souness wanted to buy him back from united but mclean  wouldn't sell him 

1 minute ago, boyd09 said:

Think your being bit harsh on Redford mate , I thought he was a good player in an average team for us,

yes he had his off days and missed penalty in cup final but also scored winning goal in cup final in 82 was unlucky to be suspended for couple of finals ,I also remember reading souness wanted to buy him back from united but mclean  wouldn't sell him 

I remember him being a better player for both Dundee teams than us but I take your point he was playing in a poor team

7 minutes ago, boyd09 said:

If memory serves me right bit of a fall out with Jock Wallace for a spell , and transfer listed , then removed again until souness  sold him to Dundee u for 145,000

I  liked him as a striker we could have got more out-of him , scored few important goals  cup final winner and against inter Milan , but inconsistent 

It was at both they games, I was Only about 14 at the time and I remember being over the moon that we had signed him, he probably should of done better than he did.

Just now, hammer93 said:

It was at both they games, I was Only about 14 at the time and I remember being over the moon that we had signed him, he probably should of done better than he did.

As was I mate , he should have achieved more with us ,  I was at dens park in 81 we won 3 2 in that amazing red kit he scored against us this game and a lot of goals for Dundee in the  the next couple of seasons ,

when we bought him I thought he would score for fun  but  I think he was a confidence type of player he would go on a good run of goals or barren spells  we needed more than that 

Just now, SteveEarle said:

I remember him scoring the winner in the 1984 League Cup Final against Dundee Utd:thumbup:

Got soaked at hampden that day it pissed down great finish by Ferguson happy days 

15 minutes ago, boyd09 said:

As was I mate , he should have achieved more with us ,  I was at dens park in 81 we won 3 2 in that amazing red kit he scored against us this game and a lot of goals for Dundee in the  the next couple of seasons ,

when we bought him I thought he would score for fun  but  I think he was a confidence type of player he would go on a good run of goals or barren spells  we needed more than that 

That was the first game I saw last night

Spoke to him a few years ago in the Forge Market he had a stall selling replica football jerseys...Did he not get his collar felt for them being a wee bit dodgy..??. Best game I saw him play was the 2nd Leg v Inter Milan when for a spell it looked like we could overturn a 3 nil deficit..Seemed a miserable guy when I spoke to him..and his replica tops were in hindsight pretty pish...

1 hour ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Did we sign Ferguson at the time as Cammy Fraser?

Called my dog Cammy after him.  If we had done first he would have been Cammy instead of Scott!

Think I told you that Scott ? if you're reading this!

Also remember he had a moustache which was rarer than a Catholic in the dressing room!