Iain Ferguson

hammer93

4 hours ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

IMO he couldn't really cope playing for a club like Rangers,a bit like Ian Redford who we also bought from Dundee I think Ferguson was decent but the expectation of being a Rangers player was too much at a difficult time for the club.

Both Ferguson and Redford moved to Dundee United and both done well there so maybe proof they were happy playing for smaller clubs.

Pretty much my recollection of both players . It's a big jersey to fill and not everyone can do it no matter how much talent they have 

One of number of signings we made in the early 80's who looked decent buys but ultimately found the weight of the Rangers jersey too much for them . Dougie Bell , Craig Paterson , Bobby Williamson and Cammy Fraser all come into that category IMO , some thought they had made it just by signing for us and others had simply found their level and couldn't perform at the level our support demands on a consistent basis . Performances like the Inter Milan one were too often the exception and struggles against the Clydebank's and Morton's became the norm .

6 hours ago, hammer93 said:

This is for older bears, I was watching games on YouTube last night and I came across games against Dundee in the early 80s the lad Ferguson scored a few goals against us and we eventually paid good money to sign him, again he looked decent in some of the highlights, what I want to know as my memory is a bit sketchy on this.....what happened to him.....did he flop, have a fallout with big Jock or was it the emergence of McCoist that eventually made him surplus to requirements.....I genuinely don't remember why he never made it at us during that period when we had players like Davie Mitchell, Bobby Williamson and wee fleck getting games?

I have met Ian on numerous occasions . He is a big bear . He was one of those players though that just couldn't make the step up .

He was playing in a very average Rangers team but he just couldn't cut in the bigger games .

He did score a winner in cup final .And of course a superb double versus Inter. No one can take that away from him

2 hours ago, TheMotor said:

One of his best moments in a Gers shirt and one of my favourite Euro nights at Ibrox. We got so close against a quality team.

giphy.gif

I seen him in the Walkabout in London at the last tim game, obviously still a fan.

My hero as a wean. I was at ibrox that night against inter on holiday from Germany.his and our performance that night kept me going for years and for me one of the best atmospheres ever at ibrox.i loved him and Edmonton drive, a former poster on here tells me all the stories from meeting him that tells me he remains one of us. Fuckin class.

No Surrender 

Rab 

2 minutes ago, rab wilson said:

My hero as a wean. I was at ibrox that night against inter on holiday from Germany.his and our performance that night kept me going for years and for me one of the best atmospheres ever at ibrox.i loved him and Edmonton drive, a former poster on here tells me all the stories from meeting him that tells me he remains one of us. Fuckin class.

No Surrender 

Rab 

Welcome back Rab?

7 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Thanks for everyones input....it would appear the lad had the ability but the pressure of playing in a struggling Rangers side was too much to handle. 

You could say that about a few of the players we've had on our books over the past few years.