More Players Still To Come - Dave King

Guest Lloyd72

53 minutes ago, John Eric Bartholomew said:

Aye, the old stick-your-head-in-the-sand tactic.

Being prepared to expose, and then learn from, your own vulnerability is a huge strength in sports (and business, personal, etc) development.

There were other games as well for him to try and see how those square pegs fitted into his tactical round holes. He also saw them in training for weeks.

We knew they would have superior players all over the pitch that day so we should have made damage limitation the priority. That result is in the record books now and it hurts.

It wasn't the day to experiment in my opinion.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Worst day of my footballing life and there is no excuses ,even from Pedro or himself for that abortion of a performance from players to Management 

Yep, it was disgraceful. But worst day of my footballing life was Jan 1967 when us as the cup holders were turned over by Berwick Rangers. Can still feel the cold sweat on the back of my neck.

1 hour ago, harlands plater said:

There were other games as well for him to try and see how those square pegs fitted into his tactical round holes. He also saw them in training for weeks.

We knew they would have superior players all over the pitch that day so we should have made damage limitation the priority. That result is in the record books now and it hurts.

It wasn't the day to experiment in my opinion.

This is not a club built on making 'damage limitation' a priority, is it? 

If you want to know/build the character of someone in your team/employment, I would advise you to make them feel vulnerable and see how they respond. Caixinha has suggested many times through interviews that he has a strong understanding of sports psychology - he repeatedly discusses "behaviours" and "stimulations", very common language in psychology. He may have been simply trying to win the game, or he may have been challenging his players in a way that showed who had the mental capacity to represent this club, even when you're being embarrassed at home. On that day, only Miller and Hill were capable of standing up to the challenge. It was a very telling experience and I am certain that Caixinha took a vast amount from it.

7 minutes ago, John Eric Bartholomew said:

This is not a club built on making 'damage limitation' a priority, is it? 

If you want to know/build the character of someone in your team/employment, I would advise you to make them feel vulnerable and see how they respond. Caixinha has suggested many times through interviews that he has a strong understanding of sports psychology - he repeatedly discusses "behaviours" and "stimulations", very common language in psychology. He may have been simply trying to win the game, or he may have been challenging his players in a way that showed who had the mental capacity to represent this club, even when you're being embarrassed at home. On that day, only Miller and Hill were capable of standing up to the challenge. It was a very telling experience and I am certain that Caixinha took a vast amount from it.

Definitely not a club built on making 'damage limitation' a priority, as you say.

Under normal circumstances. And the past five or so years have been anything but normal circumstances. 

Amd it didn't take that game to tell us Miller and Hill were stronger mentally than the rest.

4 hours ago, Smile said:

Still, think we are short up front, we need quality up there.

Agreed, and there is something about our frontline that makes me think we haven't finished with that particular area. Whether we have targeted a player already, or waiting on a few moving on I don't know, but it looks an area where an obvious signing will be made before the window closes.

9 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Agreed, and there is something about our frontline that makes me think we haven't finished with that particular area. Whether we have targeted a player already, or waiting on a few moving on I don't know, but it looks an area where an obvious signing will be made before the window closes.

I was wondering about that myself mate. A lot of so-called experts are lining up in the media, ten-a-penny stating: "foreign players don't settle well" etc. But what if all of our signings do really well here from the start, including our two new strikers, and end up scoring for fun immediately? It then might come down to the four OF games again, where the margins of error are very, very slim. Those bastards identified Tav as a weak link last season; sinclair and that rat griffiths tore Tav a new one. So if there's any money still available for new signings, I think this position (RB) is the most worrying one for me - if Tav does actually survive the cull !!

26 minutes ago, Truth_is_out_there said:

I was wondering about that myself mate. A lot of so-called experts are lining up in the media, ten-a-penny stating: "foreign players don't settle well" etc. But what if all of our signings do really well here from the start, including our two new strikers, and end up scoring for fun immediately? It then might come down to the four OF games again, where the margins of error are very, very slim. Those bastards identified Tav as a weak link last season; sinclair and that rat griffiths tore Tav a new one. So if there's any money still available for new signings, I think this position (RB) is the most worrying one for me - if Tav does actually survive the cull !!

Tavernier is a bit of an enigma: going forward at times he is very creative on our right side, and sometimes the most creative in terms of taking the initiative for attacking the opposing defence. He seems to relaxed at the back at times though, and I find him unreliable playing there. I don't know where I stand with him in terms of wanting him to stay or not; on his game he is one of our better players.