Dave King - "Fans and Supporters"

“I differentiate supporters from fans, and in all the statements I issue from the club, I am very careful about when I talk about supporters and when I talk about fans. Supporters are always fans, but fans are not always supporters. So, when I look at the club, I talk about those that are buying season tickets in record numbers every season. I’m talking about the 50,000 supporters that arrived at Ibrox for the first game in the Third Division and gave the record UK crowd.

“There are some fans out there, and all clubs have them, who to me are not actually true supporters and there is a noise level out there which, to me, I should completely ignore. I’m really interested what the real supporters want and what we are doing for the club is for the real supporters.

“All supporters are fans but not all fans are supporters. You’ve got Rangers fans who will criticise the manager after the first game.

“And they’ll tweet and they’ll blog and they’ll insult. They’ll use language that a supporter would never use about their club."

He says the board have the supporters full backing: “I’d say completely. I’ve never had a sense otherwise. Ever. Not even remotely.

“The supporters will judge that but even if we couldn’t do it, I don’t know if it was necessarily a
credibility issue.

“It’s an area where I guess the supporters at the time of regime change put their trust in a group of people and part of that trust was believing we could achieve this sort of thing.

“It’s good to have done it. It would’ve been very disappointing had we let them down.”

All season ticket holders have never thought Dave King has done anything wrong. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shambolic thing to say. Maybe try and encourage fans into becoming so called "supporters" instead of trying to create an elitist attitude would have been a better approach. What about people who for last 30 years and more who have gave every spare penny they had for tickets and merchandise and who no longer can attend games either through ill health or for other reasons. Does their opinion not count now? Or what about the fans he spoke to recently at that thing in America. I am pretty sure a lot of them won't have season tickets.

I get what he's saying and to a point agree with him, but what about the fans who can't make it to Ibrox for whatever reason but who purchase the likes of Rangers tv, merchandise ( especially now that the ban has been lifted) etc, aren't they also supporting the club to an extent as well?.