Dave King - "Fans and Supporters"

Just now, With Heart and Hand said:

Your a Rangers fan if you're middle to upper class and can afford an ST and live within driving distance of Ibrox

Or if you've given King money

This from King who will go out of his way to get to Liverpool, but can't be arsed getting to Glasgow for the disaster memorial and the taig game. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, With Heart and Hand said:

So you're a staunch fan if you make the personal choice to not go to games 

But if you're skint and can't afford to go you're not a fan?

Didn't say that... 

Boycott was a personal choice. A grim one at that 

re-iterating there are people who want to go but genuinely cant and there are people who just arent interested when we play Motherwell, Ross County etc but get on the soap box when we get done by Bheast FC or fail to reach a cup final.

The latter have no right to criticise.

3 minutes ago, OneDavidCooper said:

If someone says they support Rangers that has always been good enough for me. I live in Manchester and there have been times in my life When I could attend games and others, like now, because of ill health, when I can't. I'll take no lectures from a twat like Mr King as to whether I'm a supporter or not. I know he isn't.

Very well put.

8 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

What about fans in other countries that have to pay for travel and accommodation every time they buy a ticket for a game?

Do they not have as much of a say because they can't walk or drive to the ground like the lucky ones that can?

Try getting a taxi from South Africa for an old firm game mate.... see how much that cost you!

I use both fan and supporter to describe Bears but there are different kinds

You get fans like someone who actively follows us, watches games, actually cares and would go to every game if they could. 

Then you get fans that I call Facebook fans who post and share pics etc and like the image of being a Rangers fan but they don't go to or watch games etc and if not for social media wouldn't have a clue

Then theres someone who's a Rangers fan but doesn't know about us, isn't really into football, probably couldn't name half the squad etc

Then theres guys like many of us who love nothing more than talking about Rangers,  are gutted when they miss games, the ones who bleed Red White and Blue, and travel the world to see us, Rangers is part of our identity, we're a different standard than the rest of them. 

4 minutes ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Total bollocks.

Don't see how it is?

As someone mentioned further back its glory hunting.

Doesn't matter who we play supporters attend,watch,take an interest in what happens

the type of people I'm referring to are those who didnt bother with us the last couple of years but all of a sudden are on the soapbox criticising everything about us because theyve suddenly caught the highlights of an OF 

Loyal Supporter and a diddy that sees Rangers as a brand rather than a club are two different things entirely

1 minute ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I use both fan and supporter to describe Bears but there are different kinds

You get fans like someone who actively follows us, watches games, actually cares and would go to every game if they could. 

Then you get fans that I call Facebook fans who post and share pics etc and like the image of being a Rangers fan but they don't really go to games etc

Then theres someone who's a Rangers fan but doesn't know about us, isn't really into football, probably couldn't name half the squad etc

Then theres guys like many of us who love nothing more than talking about Rangers,  are gutted when they miss games, the ones who bleed Red White and Blue, and travel the world to see us, Rangers is part of our identity, we're a different standard than the rest of them. 

Put it better than I could. The ones you described as not really into football were the ones I was getting at for the avoidance of doubt.

I've got pals that I'll sit with for hours and all we'll talk about is Rangers,  then I've got pals who are fans but they'll go "why yous always talking about football?"

I've found this issue is quite controversial,  if you said to someone that hadn't been to a game in years that they weren't really a fan they'd be raging and would say "I'm as big a fan as you are" nearly every time I've been in one of these conversations it's went like that,  Bears will get offended easily if their staunchness is questioned :lol: even if they couldn't name half the squad

I like winding some folk up and I'll go "right name the Rangers squad"

And they go "Wallace, Miller...eh...Mckay....eh"

And ill go "Aluko" 

And they go "aye Aluko!  And eh...."

:lol::lol:

To be honest I'm not really into football, never watch other games unless I have a bet or I'm just in the pub.

Love watching Rangers tho,  I love football but it's because of the passion of supporting your team, if it's not Rangers I don't care although I wish I did,  I've got pals that support Arsenal and I tried watching and supporting them but I just couldn't care less

If the Champions League Final was on and Rangers were playing Montrose in the Ramsdens cup at the same time I'd watch us without even caring about the other game

44 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So if you don't go to Ibrox you don't deserve a say about Rangers?? Really

Lot of folk how went to Manchester would disagree. 

not saying that - but I would listen to the opinion of supporter who makes the effort to go to the games before a fan sitting in a pub. 

And I was at Manchester - at the game - rather not talk about why there was so many there

Where do we start with that patronising statement?

before the kids and missus and mortgages and holidays came along I attended 75-80% of home league games from 2004-2009 and kept my season ticket for 2010 and started to have to work more weekends.  I attended games in division 3-2 and 1. Where the fuck was king then eh? Fucking nowhere. Fuck him- if the above makes me any less of a supporter than I'd rather be just a "fan" all day long.  What a wanker

35 minutes ago, thebooler said:

I see yer point, but that's like telling somebody they're not allowed an opinion on Tesco cos their wife does the shopping. ?

good point - I'm not going to tell my wife about Tesco when she does the shopping and I don't :whistle:

And what about all the fans who went to our games all their life, but now do not keep well, or have to care for their loved ones. The same King who used his hired hands to get fans to boycott, and not attend games.

42 minutes ago, Tam Müller said:

Fair point but I couldn't give a monkeys.

He's put cash in to keep the lights on and won the battle with fatman which few would even have attempted.

Kings a million miles away from our dream chairman but he's done a lot for Rangers.

Wish he'd button it sometimes but The difference between fan and supporter speech is spot on 

What about those that can't actually attend due to many different commitments, like looking after daughter with learning difficulties, or the fact it costs about 150 to 200 quid to attend home games. Does that mean those fans/supporters aren't allowed an opinion 

The board have had a good week.To a point I know what he's trying to say, but as is often the case with King he digs a hole for himself. His argument is a bit simplistic..

I know people that gave up their ST books when we went to the 4th Division for a a variety of excuses that I disagreed with....don't want to watch us under Ally, don't want to see us play Peterhead etc....they were the first to start complaining when they couldn't get a book when we came back up and I didn't have much sympathy for them.

Everyone has their own reasons, financial or otherwise for how they follow us. Some people can't physically get to games, other people can't afford it. Whatever, it doesn't mean the club isn't in their heart or they are not entitled to a view about us. After the turmoil of the last few years, i'd rather the Chairman wasn't making statements that turn Bears against each other or drive wedges between us. At the end of the day we are all part of the Club and he should be celebrating that if it wasn't for fans the Club might not be here. We are the greatest bunch of fans in the world, fickle or otherwise.  

Here's the thing. None of us needs anyone to tell us whether we are Fans or Supporters. We each follow our Team / Club in our own way.

Sorry to repeat myself but even when we don't agree, we still have more that unites us than divides us. 

WATP and don't let them forget it.

48 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

What about fans in other countries that have to pay for travel and accommodation every time they buy a ticket for a game?

Do they not have as much of a say because they can't walk or drive to the ground like the lucky ones that can?

on the other hand what about the guy who decides to sit in the pub pissed oot his box instead of trying to make the effort to support his team ?