Ibrox, Old And New, Different Perspectives.

tannerall

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I thought the Broomloan, Copland and Govan had started to look a bit dated last time I was there...and I haven't laid eyes on it for nearly 6 years.

It will be an interesting and emotional experience on Thursday night.

I would love it if the three stands were remodelled to look a bit more like Leitch designed the whole thing and look a bit more industrial to fit in with the heritage of the area and Glasgow in general, kind of the way the baseball stadiums in America do the retro-modern ball parks but not in a tacky way.

I agree, as long as it avoided becoming pastiche. A modern industrial look that complimented the Main Stand would be great.

Cost a pretty penny, mind. We can dream...

If any future Chinese investors are listening, this would be a good place to start ingratiating yourself with us!

See to be honest I think it's the toilets that should be job #1.

Am afraid to admit I've got a mate who's into his rugby and he always goes on and on about how great Murrayfield is. So he's got tickets for the Rugby Sevens for the Commonwealth Games at Ibrox and he was asking me why I thought our stadium was the best in Scotland.

"Are the corners filled in?"

-Yes only in two and at the lower tier.

So on it went, daft question after daft question. Was sure he'd change his mind seeing the whole place from the Sandy Jardine stand. But all he went on about was the toilets reeking of pish.

Surely that's a quick and easy fix.

1 minute ago, theblueoysterbar said:

See to be honest I think it's the toilets that should be job #1.

Am afraid to admit I've got a mate who's into his rugby and he always goes on and on about how great Murrayfield is. So he's got tickets for the Rugby Sevens for the Commonwealth Games at Ibrox and he was asking me why I thought our stadium was the best in Scotland.

"Are the corners filled in?"

-Yes only in two and at the lower tier.

So on it went, daft question after daft question. Was sure he'd change his mind seeing the whole place from the Sandy Jardine stand. But all he went on about was the toilets reeking of pish.

Surely that's a quick and easy fix.

The concourses overall need modernising, but the bogs are indeed fucking honkin.

As far as how good the stadium is, in terms of the experience of the actual pitchside arena itself, sitting in the stand, it's better than anything. It looks great, the views are great and the acoustics are great. The Main Stand is obviously a masterpiece as well, inside and out.

The concourses and the facades of the other three stands could do with some work though. As could the stadium environs. 

dont think i'll ever get tired of looking at our stadium. the way it is now is how i've always seen it so it's fascinating to see all these old photos. 

i don't think anything needs changed but we certainly must be thinking about increasing capacity. 40,000+ season tickets...we ought to bump capacity up to about 60-65,000.

7 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

A view from the enclosure when it was still all standing, many miss it!IMG_2853.thumb.JPG.e5fcb75588bd98b964ce79395629127a.JPG

IMG_4980.PNG.dff9d822f8f779e423f272f912383904.PNG

I remember watching. Grandstand" one Saturday afternoon and after a halftime report from Ibrox the legendary David Coleman was moved to say "three magnificent stands they have at Ibrox".

It was by far the most modern stadium in the country at that time. Rangers led the way in redevelopment, obviously the Disaster led to the ground being redesigned when it was.

13 hours ago, Inigo said:

The tims being in the Main Stand is only a vague memory for me, but I remember them in the West Enclosure quite vividly.

They Sat in part of the main stand above the west enclosure also, we also used to get part of the main stand at the piggery  ?.

And fantastic thread lads , loved the pictures of Ibrox  and the history behind the gates. 

4 mates went every game and 70/71 got season tickets for the first time we were sat about in line with the broomloan end penalty box, on disaster dayu we turned up and there was 4 priests sitting next to our seats , looked about and it was mixed ,mainlly blue , saw the equaliser right in front of us , the priest nearest us turned and shook hands with us and wished us happy new year ,which was decent of him considering we were all shouting and bawling .it prob about the time of the disaster ,we never knew anything about it ti got home.

1 hour ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

The main stand was a magnificent site with the old press box !

image.thumb.jpeg.80119fbd46c8c12c7cf62a44971b918f.jpeg

image.gif.c980ff250ea82ce9500ed590f3186fa3.gif

I'm about 90% sure that is the first competitive game I was at, looks like Rangers v Third Lanark in 1962 or 1963.  Somewhere in that Main stand I'm sitting with my old man.

Notice how ornate the press box was then, I wonder why they changed it?

20 hours ago, Band of Brothers said:

I take it the pic I found of them in west enclosure is real I never remember them being in there I always thought Bears had the enclosures?

Yeah back In the day they got the West Enclosure as well as Broomloan end

31 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I'm about 90% sure that is the first competitive game I was at, looks like Rangers v Third Lanark in 1962 or 1963.  Somewhere in that Main stand I'm sitting with my old man.

You're right it's Rangers v Third Lanark close with year too if caption I saw on same pic says it's August 1961

7 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I remember my grandfather who fought in WW 1, just for an age perspective, NEVER ever left the house without a shirt & tie and his trusty bunnet and you could see your face in his shoes.

My own grandfather was the same, worked all week in the shipyard but was always immaculately turned out the rest of the time.

They're a dying breed, but you still see the auld fellas of the generation before ours, retired for years, but still going around their day to day business in "collar and tie". In fact one of my pet hates is seeing a man over 70  wearing a baseball cap, it should be a bunnet at that age.

1 hour ago, harlands plater said:

If I remember rightly it was a dangerous and uncomfortable old place to get up to, I could be wrong but that's seem to stick in my head !

image.gif.9588e513432bc65a3b1918c8fd289876.gif