The sight of Waghorn, Holt and Windass

24 minutes ago, RDFM said:

Holt is fucking shite, can't believe people rate him because he runs around a lot and "tries".

Name me one actual football related skill that Jason Holt possess, dare ye.

P.S. Tavernier is shite too.

Holt is a intelligent player, good touch, good movement and can take the ball in tight spaces and keep it. 

Wouldn't want or expect him to be a first eleven player every week but given his age, versatility, attitude and relatively low wages he's a useful squad player at SPL level. 

5 minutes ago, gsa said:

Holt is a intelligent player, good touch, good movement and can take the ball in tight spaces and keep it. 

Wouldn't want or expect him to be a first eleven player every week but given his age, versatility, attitude and relatively low wages he's a useful squad player at SPL level. 

3 blanket statements, he has no actual skills relevant to the game of football that haven't got anything to do with running around a lot.

Just now, RDFM said:

3 blanket statements, he has no actual skills relevant to the game of football that haven't got anything to do with running around a lot.

No. 3 specific parts of the game he is good at. Having a good touch is not related to running around. 

I'm not saying he's brilliant or a starter every week but he's certainly good enough to be a useful squad player. 

2 minutes ago, gsa said:

No. 3 specific parts of the game he is good at. Having a good touch is not related to running around. 

I'm not saying he's brilliant or a starter every week but he's certainly good enough to be a useful squad player. 

Intelligent player, good touch, and good movement are all blanket statements.

I could say Keirnan is good in the air, good on the ball and a savvy player to much the same effect to make it look like he has any real qualities.

I get what you're saying though, but I guess we'll just have to disagree.

12 minutes ago, RDFM said:

It's more about level/ability than a lack of skill. In the Championship he was a goal threat, his runs created space for others and he contributed to our attacking movement. Last season he was either sitting too deep, or starting his runs too far forward and having nowhere to go with the ball. Our team was dross last season and Holt was lacking confidence, but I just don't think he's good enough for a team that should be challenging for the title. 

I'd have been delighted if he'd been an attacking threat today and reignited his Rangers career, but he didn't. And I don't think he offers anything more than Barjonas could, and possibly less.

He's a decent player - just not Rangers class. 

Just now, Aubie92 said:

It's more about level/ability than a lack of skill. In the Championship he was a goal threat, his runs created space for others and he contributed to our attacking movement. Last season he was either sitting too deep, or starting his runs too far forward and having nowhere to go with the ball. Our team was dross last season and Holt was lacking confidence, but I just don't think he's good enough for a team that should be challenging for the title. 

I'd have been delighted if he'd been an attacking threat today and reignited his Rangers career, but he didn't. And I don't think he offers anything more than Barjonas could, and possibly less.

He's a decent player - just not Rangers class. 

Context is key though, he's never been an attacking threat except for the season in which we pounded teams in Scotland's second tier. There's evidence to suggest that his effective runs were only the result of less intelligent defenders and they've been clamped now with the step up in quality.

I honestly can't see him starting for any team of Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs and I'd say he would maybe start for St Johnstone. He'd struggle to even get on half of their benches 15 times a season IMO. 

7 minutes ago, RDFM said:

Context is key though, he's never been an attacking threat except for the season in which we pounded teams in Scotland's second tier. There's evidence to suggest that his effective runs were only the result of less intelligent defenders and they've been clamped now with the step up in quality.

I honestly can't see him starting for any team of Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs and I'd say he would maybe start for St Johnstone. He'd struggle to even get on half of their benches 15 times a season IMO. 

Hibs are grossly overrated, in my opinion. They might do alright this season - as many teams do in their first season after promotion - but a lot of people are getting carried away about how good they are. McGinn is better than Holt, aye, but McGinn pretty much is their midfield. 

In terms of context, Rangers and Celtic are the only teams expected to dominate possession and create chances in double figures each week. That's a different sort of pressure for players, and one you need a certain mentality for. I don't think Holt would struggle to get into the lineup of most SPFL teams. 

I don't think he'd go to another team here though, as he'd get better money down south. 

Can i add Wallace and Tavernier to this list, both are honking and how Wallace can still be captain i don't know.

Tav i'll give is decent going forward until it gets to his final ball but is a bombscare when defending.

Wallace, he just slows the game down, constantly. I also get the impression he is telling players the opposite to what the manager is trying to do, on a couple of occasions he was pointing and telling them to fall back in when the plan appeard to be push forward.