Bates

1 minute ago, onefootwillie said:

He did well enough and looked more confident than last season . He won't be first choice but is well capable back up . As a few people have  said he is way better than Kiernan 

Being better than Kiernan isn't a justification that he deserves a place in the squad.

Though he is.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

He's fucking 20 years old!! 

People talking like he should be the finished article! He's clearly not going to be our first choice centre half this season but think he's more than adequate cover! 

Honestly can't win, people shout about bringing youth through & here's a young Scottish centre half, who by all accounts hasn't put a foot wrong, being used as cover for our first team and he's being slaughtered! 

Totally agree.  Doesn't surprise me that he is getting criticism, seen it so often with our young CB over the years particularly if they are the solid/rugged type like Bates.  

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Was thinking that myself.

Im struggling to think what our actual starting lineup will be should the signings of Dorrans and Walker go through.

Midfield of something like :-

Jack

Candias (spelling?) - Dorrans - Walker

Pena

Meaning Holt, Niko and Dalcio would drop to the bench. Although I think Pedro sees Niko as a key player.

On the ball Kranjcar clearly has talent, but in big games where pace is necessary he will get found out. That midfield you put would be good, although I can see Rossiter making his way into it, so I wonder if we may go with a two - three in the middle, like Le Guen had, and the single striker.

6 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Hasn't really put a foot wrong since getting his first team call up but we need something to moan about, so fuck off ya ginger bastard!!

Every game RM needs a scapegoat, even when we win.  We need to pin a thread 'This Week's Scapegoat Is:' 

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

On the ball Kranjcar clearly has talent, but in big games where pace is necessary he will get found out. That midfield you put would be good, although I can see Rossiter making his way into it, so I wonder if we may go with a two - three in the middle, like Le Guen had, and the single striker.

The one thing that could save Kranjcar in the big games would be if the other midfielders are athletic and talented enough to almost carry his water if you like.

His passing and vision is head and shoulders above anything else in the league. If the others can do all the leg work, there is a chance he could still play a key role in these games.

It is probably a bit too much to ask of the likes of even Dorran and Pena to be able to do this though, would probably need to be a class of player even above them. 

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

The one thing that could save Kranjcar in the big games would be if the other midfielders are athletic and talented enough to almost carry his water if you like.

His passing and vision is head and shoulders above anything else in the league. If the others can do all the leg work, there is a chance he could still play a key role in these games.

It is probably a bit too much to ask of the likes of even Dorran and Pena to be able to do this though, would probably need to be a class of player even above them. 

From what I've seen of Pena, and I'm aware I'm being off-topic here so I'll make it my final point, is that he will play others around him into the game; something we have lacked since the departure of Davis. I think Dorrans and Pena would be far more versatile to anything we have had lately. Kranjcar may find some sort of niche in a midfield that isn't just running forward all the time; I hope he does well this season.

Still think we need 2 players at the back. A right fullback and a centre half that can play left fullback if possible.

Would ship out Wilson and Hodson and replace them with better quality if possible.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Still think we need 2 players at the back. A right fullback and a centre half that can play left fullback if possible.

Would ship out Wilson and Hodson and replace them with better quality if possible.

You would play Bates ahead of Wilson? I wouldn't be totally surprised if Tavernier left and we had an alternative lined up; in which case Hodson could be staying. I'm not a fan of Hodson, but I could see him staying.

He's not the worst player in our team or even defence but I can't fathom why he's playing. Aidan Wilson for me looked light years ahead of Bates against Aberdeen he was confident and composed on the ball, he was even one of the few players on that night who tried to take some responsibility and carry the team forward and given what I've heard about McCrorie he has to be at least as good if not better than Bates. 

Part of the reason for our slow play tonight was Bates inability to carry the ball forward/play more than a 5 yard pass which was summed up when he attempted that diagonal ball that was way off. One of the midfield has to drop deep to take the ball from him near enough every time he receives it especially following goal kicks.

He doesn't look confident defensively and it makes me feel nervous but he's yet to really put a foot wrong in that regard so I won't criticise that especially when you compare it to the likes of Kiernan and Senderos.

Overall I think Bates is an OK backup when you're playing the Ross County's and Partick Thistle's of the world but nowhere near good enough at the moment to be playing at our level

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

You would play Bates ahead of Wilson. I wouldn't be totally surprised if Tavernier left and we had an alternative lined up; in which case Hodson could be staying. I'm not a fan of Hodson, but I could see him staying.

Hodson is mince. Tav has some attributes, but he's a backup at the level we need to be successful. Makes too many mistakes. Wilson (Danny that is) I don't think is good enough either.

So in that case you're left with needing a first choice right back. You're also left with Alves, Cardoso and all of the young boys for centre half. Not convinced any of the young boys have shown enough that we could reply on them filling 2 backup spots. So I'd like another centre back in so as the young guys can push each other for the 4th backup spot. Maybe in a years time that'll be different and they can step up and fill both backup spots or even first choice, but not yet.

Also think Wallace needs competition, and possibly we need someone that's more capable defensively than he is for certain games, so that's why I say a centre half that can play left back as well. Someone in the mold, dare I say it, of Lustig.

Just now, Inigo said:

Hodson is mince. Tav has some attributes, but he's a backup at the level we need to be successful. Makes too many mistakes. Wilson I don't think is good enough either.

So in that case you're left with needing a first choice right back. You're also left with Alves, Cardoso and all of the young boys for centre half. Not convinced any of the young boys have shown enough that we could reply on them filling 2 backup spots. So I'd like another centre back in so as the young guys can push each other for the 4th backup spot. Maybe in a years time that'll be different and they can step up and fill both backup spots or even first choice, but not yet.

Also think Wallace needs competition, and possibly we need someone that's more capable defensively than he is for certain games, so that's why I say a centre half that can play left back as well. Someone in the mold, dare I say it, of Lustig.

I think Beerman will give a push to Wallace for a place in the team, last week his pace looked impressive, and he looks good on the ball. I agree about Hodson. I'd keep Wilson as back up, with either McCrorie and Wilson staying, and one going on loan. Ideally what you say about the RB is right, but I was just making an observation that Tavernier could be off, in which case Hodson could be staying. Up front I'd like to see Herrera, but our lack of goals is evident yet again, and if we are to mount any serious challenge then this is a priority position; I like to think we have a striker yet to come into the squad, and we badly need one.