Bates

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I think Beerman will give a push to Wallace for a place in the team, last week his pace looked impressive, and he looks good on the ball. I agree about Hodson. I'd keep Wilson as back up, with either McCrorie and Wilson staying, and one going on loan. Ideally what you say about the RB is right, but I was just making an observation that Tavernier could be off, in which case Hodson could be staying. Up front I'd like to see Herrera, but our lack of goals is evident yet again, and if we are to mount any serious challenge then this is a priority position; I like to think we have a striker yet to come into the squad, and we badly need one.

For me Beerman will prove to be a left midfielder. Same as Wallace, is better going forward than he is at tthe back, which is no surprise given he started as a winger.

Danny Wilson up against Dembele or the thumb or a decent European player would give me the fear.

The rest of the squad I quite like the way it's shaping up if we get Dorrans and another wide player (on paper and on the little I've seen of players), it just looks to me like its got more depth than it does at the back. I'd look for 4 centre halves of Alves, Cardoso, A.N.Other that can play left as well, then maybe one of Bates, McCrorie and A Wilson, with the others going recallable loan until mid season then reevaluate.

Something like that. 

Guest Lloyd72
37 minutes ago, Inigo said:

For me Beerman will prove to be a left midfielder. Same as Wallace, is better going forward than he is at tthe back, which is no surprise given he started as a winger.

Danny Wilson up against Dembele or the thumb or a decent European player would give me the fear.

The rest of the squad I quite like the way it's shaping up if we get Dorrans and another wide player (on paper and on the little I've seen of players), it just looks to me like its got more depth than it does at the back. I'd look for 4 centre halves of Alves, Cardoso, A.N.Other that can play left as well, then maybe one of Bates, McCrorie and A Wilson, with the others going recallable loan until mid season then reevaluate.

Something like that. 

I understand what you mean but tbf he had both in his back pocket at Parkhead last season in the 1-1 game

4 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

I understand what you mean but tbf he had both in his back pocket at Parkhead last season in the 1-1 game

I thought he was wobbly on a few occasions in that game. Hill was much better. And in the game at Ibrox he had a mare.

Guest Lloyd72
2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I thought he was wobbly on a few occasions in that game. Hill was much better. And in the game at Ibrox he had a mare.

The game at ibrox was a shambles mate but at parkhead he was really good, I can't remember the exact stat but I know his defensive duels/headers won vs dembele in that game was really impressive there was even a video on Twitter of all the times he stopped him on the ball before he could do anything with it.

13 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

The game at ibrox was a shambles mate but at parkhead he was really good, I can't remember the exact stat but I know his defensive duels/headers won vs dembele in that game was really impressive there was even a video on Twitter of all the times he stopped him on the ball before he could do anything with it.

Hmm. I distinctly several slips (bad touches, one of which got him a booking) that could/should have cost us. As for the rest of the season, he was generally ordinary to poor. Kiernan was alot worse, but Danny Wilson isn't the kind of standard we can expect to get us anywhere.

6 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

What did he do wrong tonight that makes you think that? I just dont get it?

I doubt he is going to become world class or anything great, but realistically, he is our 4th choice. Alves, Cardosa and Wilson ahead of him. I would happily keep him as 4th choice and send the other boys out to get some experience on loan. Bates at least has the physicality to deal with adults at the moment.

Beaten in the air almost every time?

See as someone who played as a CB, I watch him and his positioning defensively and it's always spot on. He's never diving in for last gasp challenges, but it's because his positioning is excellent. 

He's a solid defender - he's chronic with the ball at his feet, but everyone greets about Tav saying 'I want a full back that defends' well this guy can defend and he's only 20. 

Get off his back. 

He wasn't put under much pressure last night, and generally was ok, although I'm disturbed by the number of times he is beaten to the ball in the air.  Seems unable to coordinate his jump with the ball.  Bit concerning for a central defender.