Jump to content

Bates


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent back up option, he's a bit nervy but I think most 18/19 year olds would be playing their first handful of games Rangers AND infront of a sell out crowd.

He's improved since last season and obviously had Wilson and/or Bruno Alves been fit/available he might not even had made the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He looks like an 18 year old defender in a team that is still poor up front... i.e. scared to put a foot wrong, and lose a goal. 

With our attack minded style - still - we should have converted about 4 or 5 chances last night, and Bates wouldn't be scared that his one error would fuck us up. 

If he was in a Rangers team that played 5-4-1 and was surrounded by players constantly, then maybe he would be better. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, StevenDavis said:

Decent back up option, he's a bit nervy but I think most 18/19 year olds would be playing their first handful of games Rangers AND infront of a sell out crowd.

He's improved since last season and obviously had Wilson and/or Bruno Alves been fit/available he might not even had made the bench.

He's 21 in October.

Whilst relatively young for say a CH or keeper, there are plenty examples of others who appear assured and are far more established at this age. 

Interested at what age do folk consider that at Rangers youth stops being provided as an excuse / justification?

Develop in development team. If you're in the first team you need to be proving you deserve to maintain the jersey otherwise the development aspect hasn't been good enough imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

He looks like an 18 year old defender in a team that is still poor up front... i.e. scared to put a foot wrong, and lose a goal. 

With our attack minded style - still - we should have converted about 4 or 5 chances last night, and Bates wouldn't be scared that his one error would fuck us up. 

If he was in a Rangers team that played 5-4-1 and was surrounded by players constantly, then maybe he would be better. 

 

He's 21 in October.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He's 21 in October.

 

I should research more. 

I made a few excuses for him last season because I thought he was 18 when PC played him in April/May... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He's 21 in October.

Whilst relatively young for say a CH or keeper, there are plenty examples of others who appear assured and are far more established at this age. 

Interested at what age do folk consider that at Rangers youth stops being provided as an excuse / justification?

Develop in development team. If you're in the first team you need to be proving you deserve to maintain the jersey otherwise the development aspect hasn't been good enough imo.

If you're good enough you should be in the first team no matter what age you are. Barjonas should be given a 10-12 match run, he looks a real find.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ryju84 said:

I should research more. 

I made a few excuses for him last season because I thought he was 18 when PC played him in April/May... 

The boy Liam Lindsay at 21 had made 100 1st team appearances, 3/4 of which were at Thistle, and had scored around 10 goals.

He was assured in terms of ability, which was impressive for a relatively young guy. I'd imagine he got rid of most rough edges when he was in late teens.

Bates seems to be excused due to age but he's no longer a kid. He's just far from where he could be in terms of his development as a player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

If you're good enough you should be in the first team no matter what age you are. Barjonas should be given a 10-12 match run, he looks a real find.

To an extent yes and I do like look of Barjonas. The thing about him was he looked assured as soon as stepped onto the pitch as he owned the central midfield.

But I also acknowledge younger can take time to settle, will make a mistake, can lack consistency.

With Bates though I just don't see the basic ability of expect. I see a CH who can't win a header and who exudes 0 confidence. 

Thinking about it, almost every time last night he pointed elsewhere for the pass to be played to a teammate rather than demanding it in the space he was in. Maybe every time the other pass was better...

I honestly think he is a Raith Rovers calibre player.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He's 21 in October.

Whilst relatively young for say a CH or keeper, there are plenty examples of others who appear assured and are far more established at this age. 

Interested at what age do folk consider that at Rangers youth stops being provided as an excuse / justification?

Develop in development team. If you're in the first team you need to be proving you deserve to maintain the jersey otherwise the development aspect hasn't been good enough imo.

Easy paper round that cunt!

The guy was playing for Raith Rovers under 20's at the start of last season before he joined us - it's a bit of a jump to play in the Europa League the year after.

I'm not saying he's great but he's not that bad either - of course there's going to be examples of better players looking more assured at his age :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JC10 said:

We need to be really critical of any of the youth team guys that come through, and hopefully get them to fuck. 

Then we can all moan more at how we don't produce any young players.

We need to be objective, acknowledge their age, but not make excuses because of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, StevenDavis said:

Easy paper round that cunt!

The guy was playing for Raith Rovers under 20's at the start of last season before he joined us - it's a bit of a jump to play in the Europa League the year after.

I'm not saying he's great but he's not that bad either - of course there's going to be examples of better players looking more assured at his age :lol:

Yeah like A Wilson, Barjonas, Beerman......

All similar ages if not younger, Wilson a CH, and all in the same development team.

Just saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JC10 said:

We need to be really critical of any of the youth team guys that come through, and hopefully get them to fuck. 

Then we can all moan more at how we don't produce any young players.

Totally agree. Where possible we should all get to as many youth games as we can and ensure we let the under 12s and upwards know as early as possible how shite they are and will be. 

Be even better if we could get some of the u20 twitter names to actually  get the feedback to them more directly. 

It's the only way to raise the standard. 

As for Bates he has somehow managed to come in, not really have a terrible game apart from his debut and still get pelters. As a stop gap he's been excellent, haven't seen anyone claim yet that he's more than backup, even us defending him aren't saying he's number 1 choice, just that he's doing a job and doing it reasonably well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Yeah like A Wilson, Barjonas, Beerman......

All similar ages if not younger, Wilson a CH, and all in the same development team.

Just saying.

I'd be worried if he was going to be first choice, as I said in my previous post, he probably won't make the squad most weeks once Danny Wilson and Bruno Alves are available.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Cam1872 said:

Totally agree. Where possible we should all get to as many youth games as we can and ensure we let the under 12s and upwards know as early as possible how shite they are and will be. 

Be even better if we could get some of the u20 twitter names to actually  get the feedback to them more directly. 

It's the only way to raise the standard. 

As for Bates he has somehow managed to come in, not really have a terrible game apart from his debut and still get pelters. As a stop gap he's been excellent, haven't seen anyone claim yet that he's more than backup, even us defending him aren't saying he's number 1 choice, just that he's doing a job and doing it reasonably well. 

Thats the goal for the development squad sorted then.

Do well, get into the first team and do reasonably well as a stop gap. Cracking.

How about get into the first team and show you're good enough to keep the jersey as your own. Take the opportunity to become the regular. Hate to say it but like Tierney did over izaguerre. 

They shouldn't be in our development squad unless they're outstanding.

The lad has had a run now to show what he's capable of and yeah, has hit the heights of looking like a stop gap who will only ever be a stop gap at best. We need more ftom a youth given that opportunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, StevenDavis said:

I'd be worried if he was going to be first choice, as I said in my previous post, he probably won't make the squad most weeks once Danny Wilson and Bruno Alves are available.

See my post above to Cam.

If folk are accepting him as a stop gap, who will get minimal game time and eventually disappear on loan prior to his contract expiring then fine, I agree.

But for a player getting a run of games and the opportunity he has he's shown he's only going to be that stop gap, which disappoints the hell out of me as the youth whose had the best oppprtunity.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Just caught up on the match thread after the game.

Must admit I am surprised to see Bates get some fairly heavy criticism.

I honestly thought the boy hardly put a foot wrong. Was one point where I thought he had got wrong side of the attacker, think it was around 70mins. He fairly easily dealt with it and just powered him out the way.

Far better option than Kiernan. 

I thought he was decent last season and I thought he played well last night and when he did get caught out in the second half he did a great job of recovering. I don't know why people keep on having a go at him he's a solid young defender who will only get better and with Bruno still to come in he will learn from him even in training. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

What did he do wrong apart from one time he was the wrong side?

I think he is shite, I don't actually think he was particularly shite last night. He was just, well, himself.

More specifically...

He jumps lower than his standing position.

He has no physicality about him.

He appears lethargic in his general style.

He gets pulled out if position very easily.

He got caught napping and cost a chance against us. Jack bawled him out.

Simple passes he always plays behind a player's position.

He exudes worry not authority.

His long ball distribution is rank. Last night again to the opposition, perhaps an improvement from last season when it was directly out the park.

That's it mostly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I think he is shite, I don't actually think he was particularly shite last night. He was just, well, himself.

More specifically...

He jumps lower than his standing position.

He has no physicality about him.

He appears lethargic in his general style.

He gets pulled out if position very easily.

He got caught napping and cost a chance against us. Jack bawled him out.

Simple passes he always plays behind a player's position.

He exudes worry not authority.

His long ball distribution is rank. Last night again to the opposition, perhaps an improvement from last season when it was directly out the park.

That's it mostly.

But apart from that?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Upcoming Events

    • 01 December 2021 19:45 Until 21:45
      0  
      Hibernian v Rangers
      Easter Road
      Scottish Premiership
      Live on Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Main Event

×
×
  • Create New...