Bates

Maybe he is nervous, but he is still young. What happens to his nerves if he comes on here for a nosy and sees page after page of fans calling him shite? He's played less than 10 games with us, and most of them were in a team full of players who really weren't Rangers class. He has a chance to learn from big Bruno now and if he does have potential we might start to see it more over the next season if he gets more game time. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, RogueBear said:

Maybe he is nervous, but he is still young. What happens to his nerves if he comes on here for a nosy and sees page after page of fans calling him shite? He's played less than 10 games with us, and most of them were in a team full of players who really weren't Rangers class. He has a chance to learn from big Bruno now and if he does have potential we might start to see it more over the next season if he gets more game time. 

Yes. He played in front of 50k supporters. I'll go and edit my posts in case he comes on here, reads them, and it fucks with his confidence. Genius.

10 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

weir was different in all aspects, he was scouted for a scholarship in america by the age of 18 and spent 3 years over there as a striker, seemingly he was fucking good at it too

There are other instances of late developers in football, that was just an obvious one. It may not happen but it would be no bad thing if it did. He's nowhere near the first in the current squad that needs to go.

17 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Just caught up on the match thread after the game.

Must admit I am surprised to see Bates get some fairly heavy criticism.

I honestly thought the boy hardly put a foot wrong. Was one point where I thought he had got wrong side of the attacker, think it was around 70mins. He fairly easily dealt with it and just powered him out the way.

Far better option than Kiernan. 

I thought he was pish m8, Their No87 out jumped Bates for most the game until he got sub, and he was out muscled for 85% of the time he was on the field. I bet Bate was glad to see the back of him.  

Haven't kept up with the thread, so I'd imagine this is going over old ground, but I think the boy is absolutely shite. He's a nervous wreck whenever the ball comes near him. Doubt he'll ever be good enough for us. 

Give it a rest he's better than most of the CB's we've had over the last few seasons when he starts letting goals in is the time to have a go at him.. what more can you ask from the lad if he keeps a clean sheet? When he starts making costly mistakes than slate him.. he's not gonna be starting many games if any this season and if he does play and we don't concede than what more do you want 

2 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Yes. He played in front of 50k supporters. I'll go and edit my posts in case he comes on here, reads them, and it fucks with his confidence. Genius.

Nah I wouldn't worry about changing your posts, you seem like an angry bastard who doesn't like anyone. 

15 hours ago, RogueBear said:

Nah I wouldn't worry about changing your posts, you seem like an angry bastard who doesn't like anyone. 

I'm angry because you think a player might lose confidence by reading posts on a fans forum?

Nah I'm too busy laughing at you being a daftie to be angry.

48 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I'm angry because you think a player might lose confidence by reading posts on a fans forum?

Nah I'm too busy laughing at you being a daftie to be angry.

Do you know anything about how important social media is for kids? 

And your own argument is dumb, the entire point most people made here is that he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights, i.e nervous, so aye, he was affected by the 50k fans. 

Honestly, try to understand someones point before calling them daft, you just make yourself look like a complete moron, and if you can't see that then you really aren't anywhere near as clever as you think.

On 30/06/2017 at 6:12 PM, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Not sure I've mentioned it but he's 21 in October.

When do youths become men in a footballing sense?

I'd imagine less than 1% on here were ever good enough to play for Rangers regardless of age. Moot point.

Ooohhhh I'm sorry he's 1 year and a bit older than I guessed. He's a young man in my eyes, good enough is old enough??. Not a moot point at all. As you say 99% of us on here would not be good enough regardless of age, so why so much criticism against him?

25 minutes ago, RogueBear said:

Do you know anything about how important social media is for kids? 

And your own argument is dumb, the entire point most people made here is that he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights, i.e nervous, so aye, he was affected by the 50k fans. 

Honestly, try to understand someones point before calling them daft, you just make yourself look like a complete moron, and if you can't see that then you really aren't anywhere near as clever as you think.

Haw daftie.

He. Is. Not. A. Kid.

And care to show me where MOST posters are saying he was affected by the crowd size, or even that he was nervous......

Quoting those posts will suffice.

I understand people's point of view. Forums include points being made, reasoned, debated. But when folk suggest considering my posting content for fear of upsetting the confidence of a professional footballer who is not a kid but a man of 20 years of age it leads me to a prompt conclusion.

Daftie.

22 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Ooohhhh I'm sorry he's 1 year and a bit older than I guessed. He's a young man in my eyes, good enough is old enough??. Not a moot point at all. As you say 99% of us on here would not be good enough regardless of age, so why so much criticism against him?

Because it's a thread, on a football forum, about a player I consider to be pretty shit yet is in the Rangers first team. Others disagree, fine.

Given I consider him poor, I've documented what I consider specific aspects of his play that give me cause for concern and I believe illustrate some of his short comings. Rather than just say he's shite but not justify the comment.

Is it really that difficult a concept?

And are you suggesting that if posters are not good enough to play for Rangers we're not in a position to criticise them?

Don't think he's as bad as some people claim. He does the basics well and seems to be improving. Just a bit rough right now but soon he'll have Alves there to mentor him. What a huge upgrade on "learning" from Senderos last season in the under 20s!

41 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Haw daftie.

He. Is. Not. A. Kid.

And care to show me where MOST posters are saying he was affected by the crowd size, or even that he was nervous......

Quoting those posts will suffice.

I understand people's point of view. Forums include points being made, reasoned, debated. But when folk suggest considering my posting content for fear of upsetting the confidence of a professional footballer who is not a kid but a man of 20 years of age it leads me to a prompt conclusion.

Daftie.

You just said it yourself, a forum is for reasoning, debating etc. Unfortunately you don't seem capable of reasonable debate, So no matter what I say, you will always consider yourself right. 

Of course nerves were going to affect him, whether you consider him a man or not is irrelevant. How many times have we spoken about the occasion getting the better of players far more experienced than him? Even after playing in Italy, the Euros and the World cup, Gascoigne had to have a double before his first old firm game. To say nerves shouldn't affect a player is the dumbest thing I've heard in weeks. 

He might be a pro footballer but he IS young, not used to a full Ibrox and played less than the equivalent of 10 hours of football for Rangers. Playing at Ibrox is a big step up from what he was used to. I'm going to show you a little more respect than you seem to show anyone else and assume you don't work stacking shelves at Aldi. Were you able to do your job perfectly after 10 hours? Mind you didn't have 50k people watching you either.  

My post originally didn't single you out, I merely suggested that rather than fans calling him shite they considered how they were talking about him. He is one of our own after all. Its really not difficult to understand, unless your angry all the time I suppose