one up front - is it working

Whatever formation Pedro plays he needs to work out how to score goals, thats what this beautiful game is all about and we need to work it out fast, im concerned that leading up to thursday's game he was saying it was all good we were going well , pleased with the team etc etc then on match day we were really no better than last year, bearing in mind the opposition were part timers and with the fantastic backing we gave the team in a packed Ibrox it was all a bit of a let down , yes its early doors but there's not much time to get it sorted. 

It's a problem when the wide men aren't good enough, and when we have 2 holding midfielders and the further forward midfielder doesn't have the legs to go beyond the lone striker.

Bigger problem than just a formation and the idea that 2 upfront is more attacking than 1 is awfully simplistic.

18 minutes ago, MasterD said:

It's a problem when the wide men aren't good enough, and when we have 2 holding midfielders and the further forward midfielder doesn't have the legs to go beyond the lone striker.

Bigger problem than just a formation and the idea that 2 upfront is more attacking than 1 is awfully simplistic.

Bang on. Our attacking threats arent good enough to make that system work. Our lack of goals from midfield had a huge impact on the last season. As poor as we looked defensively it was our lack of creating and taking chances that was the most worrying aspect of our performances. Our goals scored tally in the league table made for embarrassing reading. 

1 hour ago, Lothianbear said:

Whatever formation Pedro plays he needs to work out how to score goals, thats what this beautiful game is all about and we need to work it out fast, im concerned that leading up to thursday's game he was saying it was all good we were going well , pleased with the team etc etc then on match day we were really no better than last year, bearing in mind the opposition were part timers and with the fantastic backing we gave the team in a packed Ibrox it was all a bit of a let down , yes its early doors but there's not much time to get it sorted. 

It was the same old laboured shite as last season and starting then not subbing waghorn at ht was very poor management IMO.

We played a very poor side yet there was a right lack of getting our shots away or even making the keeper work which was criminal.

We laughed at the savcos with their performances against the mighty imps but we're far from being out the woods with a pishy 1 goal lead.

1 hour ago, NeoGeo7 said:

I think it's just timing. Does Pedro rate Waghorn more than Herrera or Morelos? Highly unlikely in Herrera case as he has worked with him before and has raved about him. Waghorn has been with us for 2 years, he's had longer in the pre-season to gain fitness plus I think Pedro isn't wanting to field 80% of the starting line up as new signings......not yet.

Its easy to say just play all the new players at once but he's being cautious so if come the Motherwell game Waghorn is still starting then I'd be worried that Pedro rates him.

Still think someone will buy him from down south before the window is shut.

I hope your right mate, I did see he mentioned that at Nacional and Leira he changed things too quickly and it cost him. I agree with what he's doing to an extent.

My gripe is other areas of the park could be filled my players who were there last season and not cost us.

Playing that useless cunt will, hopefully like you say come Motherwell he's long gone.

With Pena or dorrans in that role and waghorn not playing I think it would get better. Need a more penetrative cm who will make runs forward and laying that allows us to change the formation when on top of a game. He bought Herrera clearly for a 4 2 3 1

There's nothing wrong with the formation.  Celtic played a 4-3-3 all of last season and finished with 106 points so we know it works.

Although a similar formation to Warburton's we're playin' with a different style.  We're far more direct now and balls fired long looking for runners is common place.

The main issue we have is a lack of attacking quality.  We need an attacking central midfielder and at least one winger who can create and score goals.  

Last season our wingers were McKay, Waghorn, and MOH who don't create or score anywhere near enough.  Holt and Windass were our central attacking options and both were ineffective.  I don't think Holt had a hand in even one league goal.  

If we can get more quality in the final third we'll look far more menacing no matter what the formation is.  We look to have better players in defence and central midfield.  What we need now is attacking midfielders and creative players who can make things happen.  Without those we won't score enough goals to challenge Celtic for the title.  

I always feel with the 1 up front you need big target man, haven't seen him play but I got told the Mexican boy Herrara is like this so I will wait and see. With the other strikers we have in Miller and the Colombian boy I think 1 up front is a waste and we spend our time fannying about outside their box.

With the type of players he has bought he seems to be focusing on one up top. I dont think players like Pena and Kranjcar would fit into a 4 4 2. His gameplan started well the other night with Dalcio & Miller cutting in and supporting as well as Niko. Thats why Miller is played as a winger.

Most teams that deploy it successfully have goal scoring wingers who cut it and get their goals, Barcelona did it with David Villa and Henry, Pedro Neymar etc, Chelsea use Hazard the same way, Muller at Bayern so hopefully that will come with time and work on the formation.

I d like to see us play with 3 at the back and go 3 5 2 with Wallace and Tav as wing backs. Thats gives you the 2 up top without losing one of the creative/attacking mids but i dont know shit compared to the guys with badges.

Every formation and tactic should depend on who we are playing. There have been very few teams in history who can set up the same way every game and win, Barce being the most recent. Never a fan of only 1 up front unless your up against much stronger opposition. 

On 01/07/2017 at 10:44 AM, Lord Lockin said:

Against Hamilton in Pedros first game he went with 2 up front and got the ball forward at pace and I thought at last, since then he's gone to 1 up front and personally I don't think it's working, the 1 up front no matter who it is finds himself isolated, the wide men don't come inside and no one from midfield gets forward and the result of this we are creating very few chances as the other night proved - keeper in a very bad team made 2 saves. Me personally I would like to see him abandon the 1 up and go back to a 4 4 2 and get the ball forward a bit faster.

Given the number of attackers we've signed, I dong think Pedro plan can be just 1 up.