Limmasol if we FC Progres

Smile

Ive not even begun to think of them, we will have a tough game ahead of us in Luxembourg if we play like we did the other night

On one hand it wasnt as bad as the media are making it out to be, but for a home game in Europe to have something like 1 shot on target in the first half isnt good enough, it looked similar to last season.

Waghorn should be dropped no idea why hes still playing, he cant cut it in the SPL let alone in Europe.  We need the early goal and Waghorn wont provide it. Id start the boy Morelos 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

Ive not even begun to think of them, we will have a tough game ahead of us in Luxembourg if we play like we did the other night

On one hand it wasnt as bad as the media are making it out to be, but for a home game in Europe to have something like 1 shot on target in the first half isnt good enough, it looked similar to last season.

Waghorn should be dropped no idea why hes still playing, he cant cut it in the SPL let alone in Europe.  We need the early goal and Waghorn wont provide it. Id start the boy Morelos 

We had more than one shot on target in the first half. The keeper made a save low to his right, and there was the goal. A few blocks were also made on shots. But yeah, should have created more clear-cut chances.

1 minute ago, BlueThunder said:

We had more than one shot on target in the first half. The keeper made a save low to his right, and there was the goal. A few blocks were also made on shots. But yeah, should have created more clear-cut chances.

We had 5 shots on target the whole game I thought only 1 had came in first half. Does the goal count as a shot on target when they list the stats?

Watched a Limmasol match on holiday last year. No bad team and the stadium is pretty sound too, but we've got to finish the job on Tuesday first before even thinking about them. Going to be another tough one but expect us to get through, maybe another 1-0

Going by Limmassol's last campaign, they lost out to Zurich but still scored 4 goals.  Feels like we'll have to score a few to be sure against a team like this!

im nervous about this one as I fear it's coming too soon for us!

hope I'm wrong!

They're a decent side, beating teams like Zenit shouldn't be sniffed at. 

We'll have a bit of trouble over there in the conditions, I think our Scottish based players will struggle like fuck and if Wallace isn't much better than he was on Thursday he could get a doing down the wing for 90 minutes. 

55 minutes ago, Dlydon81 said:

Going by Limmassol's last campaign, they lost out to Zurich but still scored 4 goals.  Feels like we'll have to score a few to be sure against a team like this!

im nervous about this one as I fear it's coming too soon for us!

hope I'm wrong!

Unless the new Strikers come in and start banging them in right away I can't see where in our team we will get the goals from.

I just watched the progres game for the first time and boy was that crap. Waghorn and Dalcio were utter crap. Holt, tav, Wallace, Bates and Miller apart from the goal were all shite.

Ryan Jack, cardoso, Candeias and especially kranjcar all looked really good. I really liked the look of rossiter when he came on as well.

What would you know it's pretty much last season's players who were disappointing again. Without kranjcar we were struggling , he was our only real threat throughout the game

Honestly we didn't look like we had a game plan either, We would punt it long to someone up front, we lose it or goes straight to their keeper. Unless it was kranjcar doing it off course. Punting balls to waghorn just doesn't work because of how utterly crap he is!

I know this is a pub team which makes me slightly more nervous but we are still going to need massive improvements for tuesday

5 hours ago, Smile said:

Unless the new Strikers come in and start banging them in right away I can't see where in our team we will get the goals from.

You have to start creating more chances before any of them will start to be prolific.

15 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

They're a decent side, beating teams like Zenit shouldn't be sniffed at. 

We'll have a bit of trouble over there in the conditions, I think our Scottish based players will struggle like fuck and if Wallace isn't much better than he was on Thursday he could get a doing down the wing for 90 minutes. 

Bates in 45 Celsius doesn't bare thinking about ?.

And that's a wee jest not a criticism before any of his boyfriends get offended.

On 7/1/2017 at 11:06 AM, Camshy said:

Looks to early a challenge for us right now but things can change quickly, with Alves coming into the team he brings a real presence at both ends of the park. Jack looks an excellent signing with Rossiter maybe being the other cog beside him. Big Niko looks a class apart for me and this guy Pena must have something about him........so maybe if we can click quickly we will take care of them.

A lot of positives but the negative for me is our defensive shape, even against that piss poor team on Thursday we looked rather fragile at moments and against better players you end up in a wee bit of trouble.

That's because we only had one central defender & no fullbacks worthy of the name. 

On 01/07/2017 at 7:47 PM, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Check the jakey manager in his jeans and trainers. UEFA should throw them out for that, absolutely disgusting.

:lol:

Right good scrunched up paper battering is due his way .... if he comes to Ibrox dressed like that  .... :p:

:UK:

21 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

Not really, that's why teams have so much time and space in the middle of the pitch where they can really hurt us on a counter, if a wing back is over lapping it should be whoever is playing on that side of midfield that drops, taking the guy out of the middle and leaving a key area open is problematic.

Nonsense

3 hours ago, zanderbear said:

Nonsense

So you think our sitting midfielder should be the one to ditch the area of the park where we can be hurt the most to cover for a right back who can't play his position? Seems sensible

If you can't depend on Tav to show some defensive discipline, I'd consider an offer from Forrest (or other) and look for a full back who will.

He's been an important attacking outlet for us over the last couple of seasons but defensively is too often responsible for goals lost.

We need a solid defence to build upon and if we don't then we'll continue to have problems as other teams find a counter-attacking option brings them rewards.

As has been noted, apparently we got the highest ever crowd at this stage of the competition last week.

Having a look at the St.Josephs v AEL (0-4) game and I wonder if they got the lowest ever crowd.

Soccerway have it at 163 people.

6 minutes ago, buster. said:

As has been noted, apparently we got the highest ever crowd at this stage of the competition last week.

Having a look at the St.Josephs v AEL (0-4) game and I wonder if they got the lowest ever crowd.

Soccerway have it at 163 people.

Shocking!

4 minutes ago, giffnockger said:

Shocking!

Look's like Europe won't end up being very lucrative for St.Josephs.

They'll have had to rent out the neutral venue plus travel and accom costs (although they played as if they'd been on a coach all day) for home leg.

2 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

So you think our sitting midfielder should be the one to ditch the area of the park where we can be hurt the most to cover for a right back who can't play his position? Seems sensible

You don't know the basics of football tactics. A midfielder has many roles. All players have many roles & it change as play changes, when a full-back goes forward the rest of defense move side-ways to cover, same with midfield. Watch this at 3min:20 sec . Then rest of game & learn how players move through fazes,

3 minutes ago, zanderbear said:

You don't know the basics of football tactics. A midfielder has many roles. All players have many roles & it change as play changes, when a full-back goes forward the rest of defense move side-ways to cover, same with midfield. Watch this at 3min:20 sec . Then rest of game & learn how players move through fazes,

No shit - the best use of a central sitting midfielder is never covering at right back with no one filling the middle of the park, if the defense can't cover the right back, it should be the right midfielder covering on a counter attack, if you have to abandon the shape and leave the middle open for runners then it's a massive problem. Might work with more mobile defenders/additional sitting midfielders but leaving the middle of the pitch open for runners is not the way to defend counter attacks. We don't have a system that allows tav not to defend, he simply doesn't do a good enough job and being out of position was almost costly the other night against a pretty poor side, doing the same against better opposition will cost us points - again. 

6 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

No shit - the best use of a central sitting midfielder is never covering at right back with no one filling the middle of the park, if the defense can't cover the right back, it should be the right midfielder covering on a counter attack, if you have to abandon the shape and leave the middle open for runners then it's a massive problem. Might work with more mobile defenders/additional sitting midfielders but leaving the middle of the pitch open for runners is not the way to defend counter attacks. We don't have a system that allows tav not to defend, he simply doesn't do a good enough job and being out of position was almost costly the other night against a pretty poor side, doing the same against better opposition will cost us points - again. 

My point to you at start of this is in relation to you writing

'I know everyone, including myself, was crying out for a decent defensive mid but there's no point having them if they have to cover other positions when we lose the ball"

Obv a CM & the CB are there to cover for such eventualities. Surely you must grasp this very basic part of football tactics.

12 minutes ago, zanderbear said:

My point to you at start of this is in relation to you writing

'I know everyone, including myself, was crying out for a decent defensive mid but there's no point having them if they have to cover other positions when we lose the ball"

Obv a CM & the CB are there to cover for such eventualities. Surely you must grasp this very basic part of football tactics.

It's true tho, a good defensive midfielder being dragged out of position to cover tav means they have no effect on the position of defensive mid, where they should be playing.

We shouldn't ever have counter attacks where the opposition can run straight through the centre circle and have options to play the ball either way because the sitting mid has to cover right back, but it happens all the time and costs us goals. 

Just because I think we should have a right back that is able to play their position effectively against even the shitest teams doesn't mean I can't grasp "very basic" tactics ffs!

It's very simple - when we lose the middle of the pitch because the right back area needs covered, the wrong person is covering the right back position

It seems as though Limassol are playing their Home leg against the team from Gibraltar on Thursday at 5pm local time.

That is going to be very hot with I'd imagine, little shadow from the sun.

#Brutal

If we get through and it's the same KO time for us then let's be glad Kris Boyd isn't still at Ibrox.