4-3-3

Let's get this straight once and for all, 4-3-3 will be Pedro's and our downfall. 

We are playing a system which relies on you having two of your strongest players on the wing, who bring the forward into play.

You also need two extremely good wing backs, who can add to attacking moves as well as being constantly in the right position to defend counter attacks.

Finally you need a midfield three who can stay in a triangle, hunt as a pack, and bring the ball from 20 yards in your own half up to 10 yards from their box comfortably. 

We have none of those. We have a squad that is much better suited to a 4-4-2 or a 4-1-4-1 formation, where the responsibility in midfield is shared between 4 players rather than 3. They are two formations that are easy for players to understand, especially those less technically "switched on", and I have no doubts that had we used either we would have easily came through last night. 

I've said it before under Warburton, but we look completely lost playing 4-3-3. It's like watching England at the Euros. You can't tell a side to play possession football, line them up in a 4-3-3 and expect them to go and beat sides. It takes years and years of practise to get anywhere close to mastering it. When you look at the great footballing sides associated with the formation, e.g. Ajax, Barcelona, Porto - it's something they've all done for decades. In a must win game against a pub team (and that's probably doing a disservice to some of my local pubs), you play to your strengths and make it easy for players to understand their role. The blame for last nights catastrophe lands solely at Pedro's door, hopefully he's not like the previous incumbent in being too headstrong to realise it. 

The worrying thing about our 4-3-3 last night was that we played 2 defensive midfielders against a part time team! A number of times during the game the ball was thrown out to a defender and we had 6 players coming short to look for it (tavernier, bates,cardoso,Wallace,Jack,rossiter) and they had 1 striker shutting it down with everyone else dropping off. A 4-4-2 was soo obvious last night that even Craig levein might have broke the mould from his 4-6-0! 

16 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Let's get this straight once and for all, 4-3-3 will be Pedro's and our downfall. 

We are playing a system which relies on you having two of your strongest players on the wing, who bring the forward into play.

You also need two extremely good wing backs, who can add to attacking moves as well as being constantly in the right position to defend counter attacks.

Finally you need a midfield three who can stay in a triangle, hunt as a pack, and bring the ball from 20 yards in your own half up to 10 yards from their box comfortably. 

We have none of those. We have a squad that is much better suited to a 4-4-2 or a 4-1-4-1 formation, where the responsibility in midfield is shared between 4 players rather than 3. They are two formations that are easy for players to understand, especially those less technically "switched on", and I have no doubts that had we used either we would have easily came through last night. 

I've said it before under Warburton, but we look completely lost playing 4-3-3. It's like watching England at the Euros. You can't tell a side to play possession football, line them up in a 4-3-3 and expect them to go and beat sides. It takes years and years of practise to get anywhere close to mastering it. When you look at the great footballing sides associated with the formation, e.g. Ajax, Barcelona, Porto - it's something they've all done for decades. In a must win game against a pub team (and that's probably doing a disservice to some of my local pubs), you play to your strengths and make it easy for players to understand their role. The blame for last nights catastrophe lands solely at Pedro's door, hopefully he's not like the previous incumbent in being too headstrong to realise it. 

Yep posted similar in another thread, he can't see it doesn't work just like his predecessor.

Will never work with 2 holding midfielders and 2 wingers who are useless. That is 4 players down in a team of only 11 players. Then the strikers who don't score, Full backs who are pathetic and centre backs who can't defend. The team is broken, back to front. Still. 

Not suited to the players at our disposal and the way we play.

We should be playing 4-4-2 with Jack holding and Niko pressing.

Dalcio and Candeias look shite and we will regret getting shot of McKay.

Fuckan stop the pish tactics and get a strengthen the midfield.

Get Bates to fuck Anol.

I don't think it's 4 3 3 more like 4 2 3 1 and I've said on another thread it's not fuckin working, apart from the Hamilton game last season when he played 4 4 2 that's been his formation.Think the last 2 games have proves it's a fuckin shambles, 2 holding midfielders - against a team that are rotten - 1 player in the hole team that can create anything - Niko - and he was terrible last night - and 2 wide players who don't seem to know what they're doing and an isolated striker - fuckin shambles

Get pedro to fuck get a manager in short term and get the 433 to fuck and maybe just maybe we might get to watch us play attacking football and start to score some goals. I feel like I'm stuck in a fucking timewarp first with Warburton now this fucking clown. When is this nightmare going to end ffs.

The thing with playing a 433 is how you use the three in the mid.  You either go with 2x CM's and one AM playing behind the striker getting forward in support,, or you play x2 CM's with one DM in behind holding.  We seem to be playing x2 DM's in the CM role and our guy in the AM role doesn't have the legs or the fitness to play there ,, for 90mins anyway.

The fact we tried two DM's in the mid against a team like that last night was even more worrying.  Why as well have we bought x2 strikers a big target man (Herrera) and a wee man poacher type (Morrelos) and not try playing them together ? Esp against a team like that where you are expecting to get goals.

Should have just went 442 and used two midfielders , one attacking and one defensive minded ,, either straight across the mid or in a diamond formation.  The fact he didn't have the balls to try that against a team of that calibre (at least in the home leg) proves he hasn't got the bottle to me a Rangers Manager imo. 

42 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

I don't think it's 4 3 3 more like 4 2 3 1 and I've said on another thread it's not fuckin working, apart from the Hamilton game last season when he played 4 4 2 that's been his formation.Think the last 2 games have proves it's a fuckin shambles, 2 holding midfielders - against a team that are rotten - 1 player in the hole team that can create anything - Niko - and he was terrible last night - and 2 wide players who don't seem to know what they're doing and an isolated striker - fuckin shambles

Exactly what I was thinking, I am sure it was 4 2 3 1 and I am also sure the players have no clue what Pedro is thinking.