Remember Davie Wilson?

I always thought him a fabulous player who lasted well at the highest level.  Apparently a teetotal non-smoker which was unusual then and perhaps now even more so.  He played in good Rangers teams of the early 1960's but I don't recall why he left.  I do remember him playing for Dundee Utd. later in his career and read some years ago that he waited on the touchline to congratulate Jimmy Johnstone on a fine performance.  That is true sportsmanship.  I'm still curious why he left Rangers - injuries, loss of form, age, new regime.  It couldn't be that he was a bad professional because he was one of our best.  Over to you.

15 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

I always thought him a fabulous player who lasted well at the highest level.  Apparently a teetotal non-smoker which was unusual then and perhaps now even more so.  He played in good Rangers teams of the early 1960's but I don't recall why he left.  I do remember him playing for Dundee Utd. later in his career and read some years ago that he waited on the touchline to congratulate Jimmy Johnstone on a fine performance.  That is true sportsmanship.  I'm still curious why he left Rangers - injuries, loss of form, age, new regime.  It couldn't be that he was a bad professional because he was one of our best.  Over to you.

Davie was transferred to Dundee United as part of a player exchange deal for Swedish international winger Orjan Persson.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/scottish-cup/interview-davie-wilson-on-golden-era-at-ibrox-and-hampden-1-4101820

Good read, strange that he was only 28 when he left us as I'd always thought we'd got the best from him, but it seems he left us at his peak .Was at a sportsmans dinner where he spoke alongside Bobby tait, great double act.

5 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/scottish-cup/interview-davie-wilson-on-golden-era-at-ibrox-and-hampden-1-4101820

Good read, strange that he was only 28 when he left us as I'd always thought we'd got the best from him, but it seems he left us at his peak .Was at a sportsmans dinner where he spoke alongside Bobby tait, great double act.

Davie and Bobby Tait were the best of pals....Did Davie tell the audience about when he was Manager of Dumbarton and Dumbarton reserves were a man short when they played the scum at Boghead and Bobby Tait was the referee?

I have maybe told this story before in BD but here goes again. Many years ago, early 60's, I was about 12, I was at Cappielow for Morton v Gers. I was off a supporters bus, prob Drumchapel caus that's where I lived, and drew Davie to score first in 2nd half in the bus sweepie. I was watching game on the terraces right beside the touchline very close to Davie running up and down left wing. Prob at halftime I shouted to Davie that I had him to score first in the sweepie. He shouted back " no problem son". Well that would have been good enough for me  but he did score first in second half and gave me a thumbs up type of signal which made my day. Now the story does not end there. Many years later, infact about 45 years I met Davie inside Ibrox and recounted the tale. He obv did not remember but he was an absolute gent. He was a wonderful left winger.

3 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Davie and Bobby Tait were the best of pals....Did Davie tell the audience about when he was Manager of Dumbarton and Dumbarton reserves were a man short when they played the scum at Boghead and Bobby Tait was the referee?

Yeah, he done his usual routine and amazing to think he kicked his last ball for Rangers at 28 yet was still able to kick a ball for Dumbarton reserves at 55.

I remember seeing him play a few times a great player and a gent. He did move as part of the deal with Orjan Persson but I thing the main reason was that Willie Johnston had broken through at that time and played in the same position as Davie Wilson at that point. Oh to have players like that now 

I spoke to him last year he runs a spiritualist church in east kilbride with his wife. Have to say a really nice guy but incredibly small ... hard to believe he scored 6 goals in one game for the teds and played at wembley and the bernabeu with Scotland so obviously he had the heart of a lion :bow:

maybe someone will remind me of the year but i remember being at brockville falkirk when rangers won 7 nil and davie wilson scored 6 goals

the thing that always sticks in my mind about that game was not his 6 goals  but the display of jim baxter that day he  was sensational

had to reply to this , wee davie was my fav player back then , was at brockville  ( dogged school ) and the wee man scored 3 with his right and 3 with his left , big Willie Whigham was the falkirk keeper .

He was my Dad's favourite player. 

Obviously I never saw him play but when I was a kid my old man was always telling me about him. 

He always states he was let go too early. In those days we seemed to always have a bit of a production line with the wingers. Waddell, Scott, Henderson on the right and Hubbard, Wilson and Johnston on the left.

8 minutes ago, rimbaud said:

had to reply to this , wee davie was my fav player back then , was at brockville  ( dogged school ) and the wee man scored 3 with his right and 3 with his left , big Willie Whigham was the falkirk keeper .

well done you have a better memory than me  i remember the falkirk goalie but would never have got that  sorry i got the score wrong

Spoke to him at a legends night. Really nice guy.  Must say i met willie johnston that night and im chatting away and he turns to the guy at his side who was listening to me rattle on and says "do you know ronnie mckinnon?"  Cue big red face 

Met both Davie and Bobby Tait at a craft/sports dinner some years ago when on holiday back in Scotland.  Very neat, well-dresed, gentlemanly, belongs to another era really.  Good to see both are brothers out Cambuslang way, Lodge Buchanan if I remember correctly 

Is that not the guy from Rutherglen who lost his wallet whilst in Turkey and someone from here found it, posted on here asking if we knew him, someone did and informed him his wallet has been found and then they met up over in Turkey, had a sash bash and Davie got his wallet back?