Best SPL players that never played with the Old Firm?

Gaz52

I imagine guys that can remember Aberdeen sides that used to win things will have a few players they'll mention - McLeish sticks out right away for me

I always thought when Kilmarnock had Alexei Eremenko he was good enough to be signed by either us or them. He was old-ish but technically he was fantastic, maybe a bit like Kranjcar in the sense he had all the ability but his body was currently in shut down mode..

Steven Fletcher is another I reckon could have got a move to us or them, he was really good at Hibs, although he's fell away a bit down south, he still would have done a job up here IMO. 

More recently Andy Robertson but he's quite an odd one because he only spent a season in the SPL and we were still climbing the leagues at that point 

As ridiculous as this one sounds I'll still go for it, Morgaro Gomis when he was with Dundee Utd around 2008/09 - I always thought he was going to end up at Rangers for some reason, we were linked with him a few times, thankfully we never signed him though as he went to shit. Craig Conway kinda falls in to this bracket as well, I thought he was going to sign, but went down south instead. David Badfanny as well, I don't think Badfanny was ever good enough to play for us though. 

My mind has went blank, I'm struggling think back to between like 2001-2007

There must have been a good few who have impressed you over the years but never got their move or never wanted it?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Captain Hilts said:

Mark De Vries was a very good striker at Hearts and latterly at Dundee Utd. 

I was actually thinking about putting him in as well, mind the "Boyd cup final" the big cunt scored a good goal in extra time, I thought we were beat when that went in 

Just now, Thermopylae said:

Despite Hansen running into him at the World Cup I would have to say Wiliie Miller 

Might have been a good player but as a "pundit" he's one of the most bitter there is, can't talk about Rangers without getting at least one kick into us 

9 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Might have been a good player but as a "pundit" he's one of the most bitter there is, can't talk about Rangers without getting at least one kick into us 

That gordon character is like a big sheep groupie egging him on 

28 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

I was actually thinking about putting him in as well, mind the "Boyd cup final" the big cunt scored a good goal in extra time, I thought we were beat when that went in 

It's a shite phrase but he had good feet for a big guy.

That goal in the final was a cracker. Made winning it even sweeter :Banane21:

9 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Franck Sauźee

Good shout

Another one for Hibs, Zemmama.. Always thought he looked good with the ball. Don't think he done that bad down at Boro either

Depends how far back you wanna go. Not technically SPL, but Hans Gillhaus always looked a really good player for the sheep. scored goals wherever he went too. Paul Sturrock before that? Dundee united had a few back in the 80s actually. Dave Narey and Maurice Malpas were good players. Kevin Gallagher too. 

7 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

James McArthur,James McCarthy,Eion Jess,James McFadden and more recently Coulubaly think we should have signed him no idea how he's done since leaving Killie right enough 

Sure I read he went AWOL at his new club :lol:  could be wrong mind you...

1 hour ago, RDFM said:

Not technically SPL but the likes of Leighton & Strachan for Aberdeen back in their day.

In the SPL era maybe Rudi Skacel or James McArthur.

EDIT - George fucking Best.

Can't believe I didn't think of George Best :lol: ashamed now.