Once Pedro wins us the league this season

KeyserSoze

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That'll completely negate the jump in standard of player in our side then.

You can have some good players but if the managers a balloon with shite tactics you can forget it 

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What should the tactics be? Don't tell me actually, let me guess. 4-4-2 with two wingers

No lol those two clowns we signed as wingers I don't think can even beat a man. Basically Ortiz and Bedoya 5 years on.

I didn't even rate Barrie McKay but we paid 200k more for Candais than what we got for him, which is mental. 

Just now, K.A.I said:

No lol those two clowns we signed as wingers I don't think can even beat a man. Basically Ortiz and Bedoya 5 years on.

I didn't even rate Barrie McKay but we paid 200k more for Candais than what we got for him, which is mental. 

So what should it be? How would you set them up, both defensively and offensively?

It's unlikely that Pedro will win us the League this season.  However, one thing is absolutely certain.  If we start getting rid of managers after a few months in the job, chasing instant success, then it will be many a season before we are champions again.

I, for the life of me cannot understand people's judgements on the new players they have basically not seen play properly, bar their first foray in Europe and a couple of bounce games...and possible a youtube video.

point taken about Europe btw but still....

Ive seen Dorrans, Alves and Jack play fairly regular - they are decent attributes.

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So what should it be? How would you set them up, both defensively and offensively?

I'm happy with 4-4-2 to be honest.

Make Alves captain, push the boat out and try to get 2 good full-backs in even one on loan if possible.

Build the team around Dorrans in the middle of the pack.

I think Jack is a wee bit over-rated but still miles better than Rossiter and Holt. Let him do the dirty work and Dorrans pulling the strings. 

No zonal marking, go man-marking. 

11 men in the box for set-pieces and corners. Walter took a lot of stick for it but I thought it was a tactic that had merit.

If Pena is any good then he can be the a good option for counter-attacks and breakaway's. Apparently he's box-to-box.

Miller up front with a-another (it's a sad state of affairs when he's still our best striker) but he sticks to the box, because, when he comes deep to link play then we then have no options in the box which has to change. We also play too deep as a team and go wide to players who can't cross a ball. This needs to change.

I don't know if that's what you want to hear but it will do for starters. I'm not the manager or a football coach - just a fan with an opinion. You don't have to be a manager yourself to know a shite manager when you see one as the results are proof enough. 

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I'm happy with 4-4-2 to be honest.

Make Alves captain, push the boat out and try to get 2 good full-backs in even one on loan if possible.

Build the team around Dorrans in the middle of the pack.

I think Jack is a wee bit over-rated but still miles better than Rossiter and Holt. Let him do the dirty work and Dorrans pulling the strings. 

No zonal marking, go man-marking. 

11 men in the box for set-pieces and corners. Walter took a lot of stick for it but I thought it was a tactic that had merit.

If Pena is any good then he can be the a good option for counter-attacks and breakaway's. Apparently he's box-to-box.

Miller up front with a-another (it's a sad state of affairs when he's still our best striker) but he sticks to the box, because, when he comes deep to link play then we then have no options in the box which has to change. We also play too deep as a team and go wide to players who can't cross a ball. This needs to change.

I don't know if that's what you want to hear but it will do for starters. I'm not the manager or a football coach - just a fan with an opinion. You don't have to be a manager yourself to know a shite manager when you see one as the results are proof enough. 

If Miller is a regular starter, I reckon I will reduced to tears.

8 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I, for the life of me cannot understand people's judgements on the new players they have basically not seen play properly, bar their first foray in Europe and a couple of bounce games...and possible a youtube video.

Ive seen Dorrans, Alves and Jack play fairly regular - they are decent attributes.

I totally understand anyone saying you can't judge the players on a few games. I do get that, but you need to understand what we've seen so far hasn't been great. You can't blame anyone for thinking they're shite either. 

It's just like dejavu - the warning signs are there. It's not really with the benefit of hindsight, either - a lot of reservations were made when we were linked with some of these players.

I do think Alves and Dorrans will be good signings. They are real coup's IMO ... the rest I'm quite worried about ... Jack to a lesser extent, he's OK and tried and tested. He's honest and won't let us down but I don't think he's all that, either. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

If Miller is a regular starter, I reckon I will reduced to tears.

Sadly I think he will be. Herrera isn't exactly prolific and Morelos is a chubby wee bastard who can't run in a straight line.

and Waghorn is just Waghorn.

That said strikers can be funny. They can be shite for months then all it takes is a goal or two to get them going and they're all of a sudden an asset. 

If I remember right Hartson got a slow start for them, scored against Dundee United at Parkhead one day then went on to be a good striker for them and it's happened with others, too. I'm hoping Herrera and Morelos give us something.

21 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Not speaking for anyone else, but for me the point is that the players are, by and large, complete unknowns. They have been plucked from obscurity apart from the three you mention and I don't recall too many raving about Jack when he was at Aberdeen. 

Dalcio, Cardoso, Candeias, Morelos, Herrera and Peña

Of the players above, how many had you heard of previously, and what have they shown in the Euro games and the friendlies that make you think they have something about them. They may have been playing in early season, or even pre season, games but you would expect to see something from them that showed they had individual skills and attributes that, given time and once they started to gel with their new team mates, would impress. Especially given the standard of opposition so far.

The only one that gave any sign of promise for me was Cardoso. The others have looked frankly inept (haven't seen Peña)

They will all get a chance and some of them must surely be better than they have shown so far, but the early signs are really not good

6 hours ago, Frank Harrison said:

Again with this implication I'm not a real supporter, you've yet to tell me why I'm not a real supporter yet have said it to me a few times?

I've already spelled it out to you...

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/306989-rangersmedia-erskine-fund-

:p:

When we win the league, instead of banner displays, I would like to see a mega bouncy. All 4 stands doing it simultaneously. From my memory this has never been achieved at Ibrox, and we have been doing the Bouncy from around 1987, starting in the old East Enclosure. What a sight and sound to behold it would be with the whole stadium doing it, all 4 stands, it would go down in history and would be fucking awesome.

Pedro has brought in some good players that have raised the standard of the squad, but we still need to get rid of some deadwood and bring in better players to replace them. Pedro is at the start of this work and appears to have pick some good players along with some unknown ones. He will be judged on results and all the posters looking into thier crystal balls don't know how it is going to play out. Indeed some posters appear to want us to lose or do abysmally so they can brag " told you so". I back Pedro until it is proven that he is not the answer. This is more or less his squad now, his team now and he has had the time to ingrain his ideas in to the team.

I hope to see a winning Rangers and I hope it is this season, but changing managers every 6 months will not produce a winning Rangers in the face of richer clubs that have an established squad of reasonable players.

Pedro just needs to produce consistently good performances and I'll back him even if we fall short again this season. All he has to do is provide evidence that he's a proper manager and that progress will be made to the point that we are capable of winning titles by next season. Just challenging until the last few weeks, beating the scum, and winning a cup this year would be a good statement. 

He's bought some good players on paper, has established himself as the proper boss, and so just needs to prove he can coach a team to a high level.

The way we have played so far under him has been unconvincing and it looks like he has dropped the 433. Hopefully he changes things sooner in future if the players can't play the system well enough as we still have a thin squad and will need to adapt our style to what is possible. 

Hopefully we hit the ground running and go on a winning run as we could do with building up some confidence in the team and stands after that disaster in Europe.

I am probably the most optimistic bear you will find. It seems from reading a lot of people's opinions they have a short memory of our first season promoted into the championship when super Ally was manager, we were a lot worse than last season believe it or not. Warburton was an improvement, might not seem that way because of how abysmal it was last season but it's the truth, it's why we won the championship more convincingly. 

I stayed quiet last season because I knew Rangers weren't prepared, Rangers were scraping results against Championship teams, a one off game against Celtic in a cup tie wasn't going to change the underlying reality that the team we saw last season was largely made up of players who played in the Championship, so what is it I'm trying to say to you guys?

I'm saying that it was our FIRST season up, we're in a building phase, Celtic have been top those 5 years and you'd expect better, fact is we're closing in on them fast. The team we saw last season was abysmal but now for the FIRST time in 5 years we're starting to see proper Rangers quality players come in. Keep the faith, this Rangers side is head and shoulders above the Rangers side Pedro took over late last season and I mean streets ahead. Yes, things are still unproven but a blind man could spot the difference in this Rangers side to what we saw last season, look at Ryan Jack or even Candeias and the quality of Cardoso and Alves, there's a lot of positives to look forward to.

Oh as for Celtic, they're not as good as they like to make themselves out to be, the fact we held them to a 1-1 draw last season with last seasons team largely made up of players we won the championship with, they haven't convinced me and I think Rangers are going to shag them inside out at Ibrox lol :lol: