Things to take from todays game

rosco88

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought it was an even game, which is encouraging. Both sides pinged the ball about well and both seemed to have identical game plans which was entertaining to watch.  Our lack of scoring from open play is a concern.

The new guys that we're here first looked the most composed, Cardoso was excellent having alves next to him, Jack was great and Candieas isn't a flashy player but looks a real grafter. Peña, Herrera and Morelos will come good once they have been here longer. It's still early days and none of them are fit enough for a full 90 yet. After the last week of gloom and doom it's nice to feel a bit of positivity again. It's just a friendly but maybe we aren't as bad as some make out and once the squad is finished and the deadwood is removed then we can move on and build some success 

Guest Lloyd72
3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I would take from today:

Danny Wilson 

and leave him on the bench sitting beside Lee Wallace 

the end

Who'd you have at LB?

The only thing to take from this game is

It's a friendly and means fuck all apart from building a bit of morale

If you think this vindicates the manager then you are as ignorant and gullible 

Some of our fans make me cringe I can't imagine how badly some other fans are laughing and cringing 

We drew at home to cheats in a friendly ffs  get a grip

44 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

The only thing to take from this game is

It's a friendly and means fuck all apart from building a bit of morale

If you think this vindicates the manager then you are as ignorant and gullible 

Some of our fans make me cringe I can't imagine how badly some other fans are laughing and cringing 

We drew at home to cheats in a friendly ffs  get a grip

As with the defeats, it's not so much the result, it's the performance. 

Manager is a million miles from vindication. But there was a vast improvement in performance yesterday. The team looked stable and organised. For the first time I might add. Composure through the spine of the team. Controlled at the back. Unflustered in the midfield. 

There were unquestionable signs of improvement and after 6 months of chaos and decline on the pitch it's nice to see some improvement. Long way to go as we still can't score but with a solid defensive unit to build on, let's hope the goals will come  

All that's changed from last week is that there is perhaps a glimmer of hope that this group of players can actually be worthy of the shirt and turn the improved performance into results. 

1 minute ago, Bakbear said:

As with the defeats, it's not so much the result, it's the performance. 

Manager is a million miles from vindication. But there was a vast improvement in performance yesterday. The team looked stable and organised. For the first time I might add. Composure through the spine of the team. Controlled at the back. Unflustered in the midfield. 

There were unquestionable signs of improvement and after 6 months of chaos and decline on the pitch it's nice to see some improvement. Long way to go as we still can't score but with a solid defensive unit to build on, let's hope the goals will come  

All that's changed from last week is that there is perhaps a glimmer of hope that this group of players can actually be worthy of the shirt and turn the improved performance into results. 

A vast improvement compared to what?

Our first game in Europe compared to a friendly?

I do agree it helps with morale but if anyone is thinking anything has really changed then they are in dire need of a reality check

This was a friendly it means nothing.

Even a good game, a good team game, good result, good individuals

we still moan I thought we played really well yesterday Dorrans was finding pockets of space finally both wing backs had a great game at the same time hahaha. 

I think personally it will click in time for the first opening league game. 

My take away was ... play 442. It suits us much better and crucially protects the full backs.

Positives: Bruno is class, Cardoso also massive upgrage, Dorrans and Jack have a nice mix and Dorrans is also a huge upgrade, Krancjar looking class now he's fit and Candidas will be Novo-esque for us

Concerns: lack a bit of pace and creativity in final 3rd. Maybe Morelos provides that but I think Walker is a must. Kenny is done IMO, replace him

Overall there is enough to suggest we will be much better this year. 

A million things will be said about our players , our team this coming season .

I see absolutely no change from last season .In fact I would say , we are even further behind when we kicked off our first game last season .

I will say it until I'm blue in the face . My club and the one I have supported since a little boy  will not prosper until the focus is firmly on DK and he is out of there along with the others that helped bring us to our knees 6 years ago .

We can argue all day long about Pedro being the right or wrong man .It's all the issues with King that give me no confidence  I get no pleasure in saying this as the start of new season is one where we all want to believe , feel confident , get excited . Been there , wore the tea shirt .

I am not going to kid myself on though, not going to bullshit about  the few positives I see.

I will be going to all the games this season with hope more than belief .Hoping the new players can make the difference on the park . Get us some good wins in bigger matches

We all want the Rangers to do well so I hope in the coming weeks . We can deliver . The Rangers support deserve much more than the garbage ,that has been served up these last 6 years

Just now, plumbGER said:

Bit before my time , was Dida not black? He was ok.

Dida was a diddy only a minor upgrade on previous Brazilian keepers. Williams took over from Joe Corrigan and did a great job in a mediocre City team, Shaka Hislop was another decent keeper.

Positives to take

1) Keeper is actually very very good with a stronger defence and midfield in front of him. And his distribution was outstanding. He's a huge player for us.

2) Tavernier can play. Possibly his best game in a Rangers jersey. Helps being in a stronger team i guess.  

3) Alves is a colossus. Defence fell apart when he went off, Marseille missing several guilt edge chances.

4) Cardoso, great potential and solid as a rock. He really looks the part next to Bruno.

5) In Jack we finally have that CDM we have been craving for the last X amount of years. 5, 6, maybe more. 

6) We might actually have found a proper winger in Candeias. He was excellent. Great delivery, good touch, terrific endeavour.  

7) Dorrans is a class act and is going to give 100% for the cause. 

8) Kranjcar still has it. The lad is a fantastic footballer. 

9) The team looked hungry, we played very well and some of the combination plays at the back and midfield to get out of tricky situations was brilliant to watch. We genuinely did play very well. 

10) There is hope. 

Things needing tweeked

Wallace needs replaced. Play breaks down when he gets the ball far too often and defensively he is a bombscare. 

We do need a new captain

Left wing had nothing out there as Kranjcar kept getting dragged inside, almost free role like, might work though?

Nothing up front, we badly need a couple of good strikers, i don't think Morelos or/and Herrera will do over the season although Morelos did look lively and very strong

The bench was awful. Nothing on the bench filled me with confidence if we were ever chasing a game. 

Kenny Miller is now a passenger, the quality of the side has over taken our need to rely on him, he cannot keep up with our patterns of play

We need a bit more quality. The 2 the manager spoke of won't be enough. 

Conclusion

I was very, very surprised. I really enjoyed it. Maybe, just maybe Pedro does know what he is doing? Of course it's one game against a side playing in 2nd gear but they had more quality than any team in Scotland we will face. On the right road but still at least 3 or 4 big changes needed across the team and we have the time and window to do it.