Neil Alexander "I never wanted to leave Rangers"

Guest Lloyd72

2 minutes ago, badjon said:

So as the blogger for DR what are your views on A.The recent Marseilles game, B. The nonsense in another fans  group latest pronouncement that was heavily featured in your paper, C. How can you do this without thinking to yourself why??? Before you answer I know you have bills to pay like every other person but you must understand how much this riles people on here and no doubt across your friends.

I'll wade into this since its 2.15 in the morning and I have nothing better to do but for gods sake the guy wants to come on and discuss Rangers without getting it tight with the same question every time.

Yeah I think the Record in general is a rubbish paper - all red tops are. But life is shit and going to work for most of us is a drudge. If you can't play for Rangers a job writing about them is probably the next best thing. Fair play to him. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I'll wade into this since its 2.15 in the morning and I have nothing better to do but for gods sake the guy wants to come on and discuss Rangers without getting it tight with the same question every time.

Yeah I think the Record in general is a rubbish paper - all red tops are. But life is shit and going to work for most of us is a drudge. If you can't play for Rangers a job writing about them is probably the next best thing. Fair play to him. 

Heh don't take it the wrong way. I am am not attacking him in any way.

10 minutes ago, badjon said:

So as the blogger for DR what are your views on A.The recent Marseilles game, B. The nonsense in another fans  group latest pronouncement that was heavily featured in your paper, C. How can you do this without thinking to yourself why??? Before you answer I know you have bills to pay like every other person but you must understand how much this riles people on here and no doubt across your friends.

A: A step in the right direction however, as with the St. Johnstone game, it was only a friendly so would be dangerous to read too much into it. If they can carry that level of performance into the competitive games there's definitely some positive signs there. 

B: I assume you mean ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ statement after their ban...petulant nonsense by silly wee fuckwits who do far more damage to their club than they do good.

C: Because it gives me a platform to reach, literally, hundreds of thousands of Rangers fans across the globe plus many others. As someone who has spent the last four years writing for a variety of other publications on Rangers, and football in general, it's an interesting opportunity that (imo at least) I'd have been foolish to pass up. Had it not been me doing it, they'd have got someone else to do it regardless so why not? In terms of it riling people up, to be totally frank, I couldn't care less if it annoys people on a forum. Irrespective of what I do some on here will be annoyed by it so I'll not make decisions on what work I do or don't accept based on the opinions of people I've never met nor likely will. Regards my friends, they are all happy for me getting the opportunity to write for a national paper after seeing how much work I've put in over the last few years to try provide content that fans actually enjoy reading and isn't the usual garbage you read in the papers.

Obviously, I'm not daft and am fully aware of the feeling towards the Record (and many other papers) from the wider fanbase and agree with some of it. Without going into too much detail, I've asked questions of people at the Record over certain things and have been fairly happy with the explanations given. I posted something about the C1872 'boycott' and one or two other related things in another thread and should there be stuff that I'm not happy with I'll not be afraid to ask questions.

23 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

There's no probably about it. I've said it elsewhere but it's fitting here too. I left school with bog average grades and never went to uni or anything. I've bobbed about in a ridiculous number of jobs in an even more ridiculous number of industries (Off the top of my head Lifeguard, swimming teacher, kids entertainer, holiday rep, call centre grunt, administrator, sales advisor, shop assistant, night shift manager in a supermarket, checkouts manager in the same supermarket, outdoor activity instructor)so if someone is daft enough to want to actually pay me to write about Rangers then it's a no-brainer.

I'm not a huge fan of most papers, and particularly the way they cover football, so if I can get to put my own wee stamp on it and do things that I'd like to see as a fan then hopefully I can put stuff out that people actually want to read. 

Neil Alexander was a good back up goalkeeper to McGregor.

I used to wonder why he settled for being 2nd choice at Rangers, as he could've been 1st choice in most other clubs. It was all about the money. I've always wondered what wage he was on at Hearts. He stayed with us in 2012 because his agent couldn't get him a better deal anywhere else IMHO. Him taking the club through arbitration for money he thought he was entitled to, just shows what he was all about.

I thank him for his service, he was always a good back up to McGregor, and he stayed with us when other, team mates ran screaming for the exit.

28 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There's no probably about it. I've said it elsewhere but it's fitting here too. I left school with bog average grades and never went to uni or anything. I've bobbed about in a ridiculous number of jobs in an even more ridiculous number of industries (Off the top of my head Lifeguard, swimming teacher, kids entertainer, holiday rep, call centre grunt, administrator, sales advisor, shop assistant, night shift manager in a supermarket, checkouts manager in the same supermarket, outdoor activity instructor)so if someone is daft enough to want to actually pay me to write about Rangers then it's a no-brainer.

I'm not a huge fan of most papers, and particularly the way they cover football, so if I can get to put my own wee stamp on it and do things that I'd like to see as a fan then hopefully I can put stuff out that people actually want to read. 

My comment on red tops was about the papers in general rather than their football coverage. I mean I wouldn't be caught reading the Guardian's news pages either but I read their football coverage because it is the best in Britain. Having said that though the editorial line of the newspaper is also starting to creep into their football content which is a bit annoying. 

I wouldn't read the Mirror / the Record's news but I do like the Mirror's football content and I quite like John Cross. I read the Times and the Telegraph and don't care for their football coverage, but Matthew Syed's column is the best sports writing in the country, if not the world.

I'm kind of the opposite to you. I went to uni, got a well paying job when I left but i'm not happy and I want to do something that I actually enjoy. It's hard to transition though when you have bills to pay and people to support and you have to retrain or do another qualification.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

My comment on red tops was about the papers in general rather than their football coverage. I mean I wouldn't be caught reading the Guardian's news pages either but I read their football coverage because it is the best in Britain. Having said that though the editorial line of the newspaper is also starting to creep into their football content which is a bit annoying. 

I wouldn't read the Mirror / the Record's news but I do like the Mirror's football content and I quite like John Cross. I read the Times and the Telegraph and don't care for their football coverage, but Matthew Syed's column is the best sports writing in the country, if not the world.

I'm kind of the opposite to you. I went to uni, got a well paying solid job when I left but i'm not happy and I want to do something that I actually enjoy. It's hard to transition though when you have bills to pay and people to support and you have to retrain or do another qualification.

Aye, the general quality of papers has massively dropped and sensationalism is too often the order of the day now over proper, quality journalism. Tabloids especially are getting caught up in the obsession with having the next 'viral' story. Personally, I think it's in part down to the huge shift in how we can access news and brand loyalty is much less important now in the age of social media than it was before.

I got a little lucky in that I had a...let's say issue with a former employer which ended with me getting a decent settlement so I was able to take a bit of a gamble and try turn this into my main job.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Aye, the general quality of papers has massively dropped and sensationalism is too often the order of the day now over proper, quality journalism. Tabloids especially are getting caught up in the obsession with having the next 'viral' story. Personally, I think it's in part down to the huge shift in how we can access news and brand loyalty is much less important now in the age of social media than it was before.

I got a little lucky in that I had a...let's say issue with a former employer which ended with me getting a decent settlement so I was able to take a bit of a gamble and try turn this into my main job.

The Record / Sun etc has always been a bit sensationalist though in the reporting style even before social media.

My Dad used to buy all the papers for me when I was a kid in the 90s so I could cut out all the Rangers pictures and I can remember sensationalist headlines, capitalised words throughout etc for effect.

If you want to check out good quality Scottish football reporting try and get your hands on a copy of a magazine called Scottish Football Today from the 80s. I had a whole bunch as a kid (they were my Dads) and they were left intact because I wasn't allowed to cut the pictures out of them! Stay clear of the 90s ones it turned to shit around then.

Traynor, Leggat and I think even Gary Ralston may have written for it but it was incredibly high quality. It actually had a section for each team with a resident writer, kind of like yourself, in it.

In general though I think that the decline of football journalism merely reflects the decline of the subject.

all arguing about him. we seem to forget he took us to Manchester. who complained about him then or when he stayed. he was then shit on by the club offering him a shite contract so he went fair play. anybody else here who would stay in your job at a reduced contract I think not we all want as best as we can get. as for the case against the club I aint sure if it was him or his advisors that kicked that off all the technical shit in contracts can leave it open to interpretation and the fact he never chased it through the courts says he accepted it might have moaned but who wouldn't moan. he was a good number 2 and when he came down the leagues with us he was a good No1.

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He did claimed he had a standard of living to uphold. 

It was about the length of the new contract not the wages and it wasn't about 'standard of living' (although the media/Green may have said it was that) it was about security for his family over a slightly longer term than 12 months. 

Most footballers stay in their jobs on reduced contracts once they get into their 30s so your point is shite. Miller has got reduced terms his last 2 contracts with us, McCulloch also dropped wages 2/3 times when he was given new deals.

My mistake saying he went to hearts when he left, he wanted security of a 2 year deal from us but went to Crystal Palace and signed a 1 year deal. Then went to hearts and when he was released by them moaned at them as well.

He took us to Manchester :lol: Aye, him by himself. 

54 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

It was about the length of the new contract not the wages and it wasn't about 'standard of living' (although the media/Green may have said it was that) it was about security for his family over a slightly longer term than 12 months. 

So he wanted more money??

What money did he get when he left for a new team??

How much did his stupid court case cost him??

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

So he wanted more money??

What money did he get when he left for a new team??

How much did his stupid court case cost him??

No court case as far as I'm aware it was an arbitration panel (more media inaccuracy) the wage wasn't the issue with the offer (although with 70% reduction, considering the wages of some at the time, I'd not be too impressed) just the length of contract. 

I have no idea about his wages at Crystal Palace but would guess they were much better than he was offered for one year here, at the very least 2 to 3 times better (at a guess) given the wages in England.

I wonder how much we paid Cammy Bell?

1 minute ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Didn't rate him to be honest. Didn't he join Hull City, only for them to then also sign Allan McGregor lol? Perhaps I have made that up.

He went to Palace after us and never played for Hull so someone made that up (probably was in the Record or Sun).