Barry Ferguson bankrupt.

K.A.I

How can someone who made good money in his prime like he did over a studded career end up going bankrupt? he went bankrupt owing 1.4 million according to The Sun article,

I get footballers become accustomed to a certain standard of living at their peak and they find it difficult to adapt when the money dries up, but I just don't get how someone can go from earning millions per year to going bankrupt like that.

Don't really like the guy but wouldn't wish that on him, obviously.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, K.A.I said:

How can someone who made good money in his prime like he did over a studded career end up going bankrupt? he went bankrupt owing 1.4 million according to The Sun article,

I get footballers become accustomed to a certain standard of living at their peak and they find it difficult to adapt when the money dries up, but I just don't get how someone can go from earning millions per year to going bankrupt like that.

I thought he had few  property's in Dubai ,it must be something to do with possible tax Bill crazy how they lose money most of us can only dream about 

1 minute ago, Juniorsparkie said:

My mate always said that John Terry would the first of the funny money Brigade to go tits up.

Is this pre-emptive about EBT's hiding the dosh ?

His spending was certainly off the scale at one time but I understand he has it more under control now. 

Says it was money owed to the taxman - no indication of EBT's.

I just always tend to look at it like each million you earn, bank it. OK interest rates aren't great but I read before you still get over 40k per year interest for a million that's in the bank ... surely he's a had a few million in the bank and the interest on the millions more than covers mortgage payments for big house, nice car, a good living etc.

Or is that too simplistic?

3 minutes ago, OneDavidCooper said:

How do we know? (Genuine question by the way, not being argumentative)

I read a few threads, columns, interviews and articles on here actually of him speaking about Pedro and the club etc. Didn't come across well at all. Maybe i was reading them wrong but he came across like a wee prick scorned. I could also be biased as i don't like him. 

7 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

tbf you can go bankrupt and have a nice stash of dosh.

You need to really trust your family and friends and cover your arse there's paper trails for everything.

Or bury it all in a safe.

22 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I'd guess money will be stashed and Barry is perhaps finding ways to avoid imminent bills. 

Guess work on my part but I reckon when guys like him go bankrupt it's a different thing from the average guy on the street. Did read a wee bit about it when 50 cent was declared bankrupt as got to thinking the exact same questions. 

Could be a case of being delclared bankrupt so he doesn't have to pay a massive fine or something like that, I have no idea what I'm talking about but 50 Cent was declared bankrupt just so he didn't have to pay a tax bill or some shit when he's clearly not bankrupt.

I don't even know what I'm talking about