Pena

Just now, OhW said:

You can't say what the special training is with "no doubt". You don't know what it is.

We can actually, there was an article posted before the Motherwell game I'm sure and it was Pedro's take on Peña and he mentioned it in that article that he's going through special training to prepare him for the Scottish game because it's far different to that of what he's used to playing in the Mexican league, as Pedro mentioned it's more physical and he won't have the same time on the ball, so that's what they'll be preparing him for.

Cast your mind back to the training pictures for the Motherwell game and you can see him with the ball with his back to Bruno Alves and a player in front of him, they're probably putting him through drills to get used to that physical game and that's only going to take time. Add to that it did mention about his fitness levels so it's just a matter of time.

Just now, OhW said:

You've gone from "no doubt" to "probably" in one post.

No doubt is still an estimate and a guess, saying no doubt does not mean to say it's written in stone. I could sit here and say I have no doubt personally that this is the case, just means I'm 95% certain. Add that to the article you can find on page 6 of this thread credit to siddiqi_drinker:

Pedro Caixinha on Carlos Pena: He will be a big player for Rangers but he needs time to adjust and become fitter

PEDRO Caixinha has revealed Carlos Pena still needs “a little more time” before he is ready to make a regular contribution to the Rangers team. The Mexican is one of nine new summer signings but didn’t feature in the Europa League loss to Progres Niederkorn and then only fleetingly in the home friendly against Marseille.

With Ryan Jack and Graham Dorrans the two likely starters in the central midfield area in Caixinha’s preferred 4-4-2 set-up, Pena may need to bide him time before forcing his way in. But his manager is confident the 27-year-old will make an impact once he has properly bedded in and is fitter.

“When you have a group, especially a new group of players with 10 new players coming to this massive club, they are players you know are going to adapt easier than others,” said Caixinha. “Carlos came with another Mexican [Eduardo Herrera] and the other Mexican adapted differently than him. So it’s not about being a Mexican, it’s more about yourself.

“We are definitely very glad to have Pena with us. He’s a great player and he is going to show very good things in this football. It’s just a case of him adapting and needing a little more time.

“We are all the time giving him that confidence and all the time giving him that support. We know he is growing day by day and he is adapting. He wants more day by day and that is the important thing.

“Pena is starting to know that the game here is more physical so you have less time and less space. He needs to understand that and that comes with a rhythm that we are trying to get him into.

“He also needs to get fitter so he is working hard to make sure his body is ready for when he is called into action. He will totally get it that he won’t have the same amount of time and space because the good players and the clever players anticipate the actions. He just needs to get the right rhythm and the right fitness.”

Caixinha described Pena as a versatile player but one who would thrive in an attacking central midfield role.

“Pena is that type of box to box player. He is a really offensive player, those players who easily get in the opponent’s box. He can score goals, he can assist. He can play in all of the offensive roles, but especially in the middle of the park.

“If you ask me where he can play, and the formation that we are using now, he can play with two in the middle and the one that goes further forward. Or he can play as a shadow striker. Or even a little bit on the left coming inside. But mainly within the central spine, that’s his position.

“We have options and that makes me very happy because last season that was something in the middle of the park we were struggling. Now we have a strong middle of the park and we have strong options, not only for the players playing now but also those who are on the back placing that competitiveness within the team. That allows us also to be competitive when we face opponents.”

It becomes fairly obvious that going from Mexican football is an entirely different ball game to playing in something even Alves has touched upon reminds him of Portuguese reserve football due to how physical it is. To be fair Pedro did also mention it's not about being Mexican but the character, so he'll be working on that specifically.

Just now, OhW said:

So we agree. You have "some doubt", not "no doubt".

Okay, perhaps I should be more specific which is my fault. I have no doubt Pedro giving him special training for the sake of Scottish football being entirely different and physical. 

What I'm not 100% sure on is what he will be address off the training pitch which I can only guess that it has to do with his English lessons maybe? After all Pedro will be looking to build his English so he can communicate better with his team mates, that would perhaps be the most obvious one. 

So there is no doubt regarding the fact he will be going through special training on the pitch regarding the different style of football here and to do with his fitness, it's fairly obvious to state that it's an entirely different ball game in Scotland to what he's used to playing week in, week out when he was in Mexico.

4 hours ago, DrFunke said:

People forget that when you strip the wages away these guys are still people...(THE people).

A young guy, moving out of South America to one of the coldest countries in Europe in a rather unique league at a freakishly large club, ofcourse itll take time to settle. TBH, Herrera to me has show nothing, not as in he is shite, but he might aswell not be playing...like a ghost in the games. It will take time for these boys

At least Herrara and Candeias are fit.  We're talking life style here.  At the end of the day they are kicking a ball on a park and this should be more in their comfort zone.  I agree outwith the park but they are working six days a week.  No excuse for not being fit enough to get some game time.

3 minutes ago, AndoBien said:

Hello, imo Peña struggles with the physycality of the Scotish game (although he is a fairly strong player) in México you have more time on the ball, the game is less pacey and we do not play so much in the air because the average mexican player is short in stature, Herrera is the exception not the rule, also the mexican player (not always) is known for under perform out of their comfort zone, our player tend to have problems with mentality. But in Peña's case the quality is there,, a couple of years ago he was a complete crack in Liga MX destroying everyone. Greetings and i hope this help you, i tell you all this with respect.

I can see him doing well, what I really liked about him having watched the little of him in a pre season friendly against St. Johnstone was his willingness to make runs, he was always looking to drive forward and his linkup play between the midfield and front men was noticeable. I think once he adapts to the Scottish game he's going to be a terrific player, in fact it'll improve his all round game and if he's very creative he'll be a real threat. Saw his finishing ability as well, he's the one I'm most excited about seeing this season.

Gracias amigo, WATP! :cheers:

I believe also that if he isn't fit , for whatever reason, then don't play him. If he was to play just now and have a howler then that's him up against it straight away, a few players could get away with playing when not up to speed fitness wise, players with that extra bit of ability that very few have. Gazza could have but there aren't many like him. 

To big a gamble for us bringing him in , we need tried and trusted fit players , read a Mexican reporter when we signed him he said "undoubted ability but attitude terrible and loves to party more than play football , basically hasn't kicked a decent ball for 2 seasons" he did also say if Pedro can discipline him and he knuckles down he'll be playing in the EPL in 2 years , personally i don't think we are in a place for such risks and gambles which up until now looks to be back firing badly 

36 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

I believe also that if he isn't fit , for whatever reason, then don't play him. If he was to play just now and have a howler then that's him up against it straight away, a few players could get away with playing when not up to speed fitness wise, players with that extra bit of ability that very few have. Gazza could have but there aren't many like him. 

Mate it's not like Crooks v Hearts at Tynecastle. It's fucking Dunfermline at Ibrox.

32 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

To big a gamble for us bringing him in , we need tried and trusted fit players , read a Mexican reporter when we signed him he said "undoubted ability but attitude terrible and loves to party more than play football , basically hasn't kicked a decent ball for 2 seasons" he did also say if Pedro can discipline him and he knuckles down he'll be playing in the EPL in 2 years , personally i don't think we are in a place for such risks and gambles which up until now looks to be back firing badly 

1) I think there will be some discipline, or he will be out the door - as with the MW signings. If the guy wants to play and make the big bucks of the EPL, then he knows he will need to knuckle down. 

2) Second point... I've only seen rumours. One twitter feed on here saying Pena was out drinking. Another saying he was at a meal with the wife. 

From what I can see is he's actually been at every training session. He's carrying a few pounds, but that isn't the first time we have said that about any Rangers player. I'd still give this signing some time. 

2 hours ago, onefootwillie said:

Looks like it will be September before he is fit . The management team are correct in waiting till he is 100% before playing him. However you have to wonder why he was behind everyone else when it comes to fitness. 

I think that we only got him because of his controversies in Mexico. He had a rep as a party animal and Pedro probably thinks if he straightens him out he has one of the best players in Mexico. He can be our match winner if Pedro can get him playing 

1 hour ago, trueblueal said:

I think that we only got him because of his controversies in Mexico. He had a rep as a party animal and Pedro probably thinks if he straightens him out he has one of the best players in Mexico. He can be our match winner if Pedro can get him playing 

Never did much with Harry boy, horse to water and all that.   We're paying Pena good money, shape up or ship out.

5 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

Never did much with Harry boy, horse to water and all that.   We're paying Pena good money, shape up or ship out.

He's working on shaping him up now. Perhaps he's not the natural athlete and needs to longer than most. I expect Pedro knew all about Pena and still thought he was important enough to sign and use a fair chunk of his budget on. Which tells me he must be a very good player when he gets going 

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

Pena doesn't have a drinking problem. We talked it all out over a keg last night and he's fine ?

Correct, he is very clear that the booze doesn't mix well with smack so he doesn't touch it. 

4 hours ago, onefootwillie said:

Looks like it will be September before he is fit . The management team are correct in waiting till he is 100% before playing him. However you have to wonder why he was behind everyone else when it comes to fitness. 

Which September?