McKay, Garner and O'Halloran

MrMckee

1 minute ago, westenclosure2008 said:

Garner and Herrera up front! Seriously? I wouldn't turn up if I knew that was our front two. It would be fucking murder. Hill was a good player but let's not kid ourselves that he was not on a much better wage than he would get elsewhere. I'd much rather have Cardoso and Alves with Bates as a fairly sound replacement to Wilson... Still got the fear over a Garner and Herrera strike force ?

It certainly wouldn't be pretty to watch but that side wouldn't take a 5-1 tanking.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

That would certainly be a physical side and probably a team you could afford to have Kranjcar as a luxury in an Old Firm.

That type player choice and the formation reminds me of some of the teams Martin O'Neill used to put out against us. That Celtic team weren't easy on the eye but they definitely could mix it.

Edit: I didn't read the last para :tu: 

If you remember back to that era you'll know that we had Dick Advocaat as our manager and were playing some of the best ball we ever have done.  MON had a big physical side and we struggled to cope with it as did just about everyone else.  Now, perhaps, a bit of role reversal would work for us.  We don't have huge sums of money for talented footballers but what we can do is turn ourselves in to a big physical team that batters teams the way MONs side did back in the day.  It would be interesting to see how Rodger's Celtic team would cope against a team that had that kind of physical presence. 

39 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

Garner and Herrera up front! Seriously? I wouldn't turn up if I knew that was our front two. It would be fucking murder. Hill was a good player but let's not kid ourselves that he was not on a much better wage than he would get elsewhere. I'd much rather have Cardoso and Alves with Bates as a fairly sound replacement to Wilson... Still got the fear over a Garner and Herrera strike force ?

Yes, two guys up front that are strong in the air.  It's been done before and teams have had success with it.  Didn't Celtic have success with Sutton and Hartson as a front two?  I'm not suggesting Herrera and Garner would've been of similar quality but the principle tactic is the same.  This current Celtic team are good with the ball on the ground and they will spend heavy on players conducive to that brand of football.  Becoming a big physical team that can bully opponents, be a threat a set-pieces, and win everything in the air, could be a way for us to become more competitive at a lesser price since we'll struggle to afford the kind of players needed to match them on the ground. 

Also, Hill was arguably our best player last season.  I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about wages but I doubt the guy was on much.  I see no reason why we couldn't have kept him on another year and still signed Cardoso and Alves.  You say you'd rather have Bates who's played about 10 games at senior level but I strongly disagree with that. 

18 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Yes, two guys up front that are strong in the air.  It's been done before and teams have had success with it.  Didn't Celtic have success with Sutton and Hartson as a front two?  I'm not suggesting Herrera and Garner would've been of similar quality but the principle tactic is the same.  This current Celtic team are good with the ball on the ground and they will spend heavy on players conducive to that brand of football.  Becoming a big physical team that can bully opponents, be a threat a set-pieces, and win everything in the air, could be a way for us to become more competitive at a lesser price since we'll struggle to afford the kind of players needed to match them on the ground. 

Also, Hill was arguably our best player last season.  I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about wages but I doubt the guy was on much.  I see no reason why we couldn't have kept him on another year and still signed Cardoso and Alves.  You say you'd rather have Bates who's played about 10 games at senior level but I strongly disagree with that. 

Where to start.... I'm pretty sure there was another wee prick that partnered either Hartson or Sutton. No football manager in the world would partner Garner and Herrera together. It would the most static front line in world football. Hill was a good player for us but he was also one of the highest paid players at the club. We could only pay that money for a first 11 player. In the last few friendlies we are actually looking ok so let's see how we do against Motherwell today. If it goes Pete Tong feel free to talk even more utter fucking shite!! 

8 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Rumours coming out of Germany that Hitler is dead.

Fake news,Mate. He's living in Hrubieszow near the Ukraine border with the alias of Adolphus Hitlersevco and runs the local  Electrokana Bykburger Tosty franchise.

1 hour ago, westenclosure2008 said:

Where to start.... I'm pretty sure there was another wee prick that partnered either Hartson or Sutton. No football manager in the world would partner Garner and Herrera together. It would the most static front line in world football. Hill was a good player for us but he was also one of the highest paid players at the club. We could only pay that money for a first 11 player. In the last few friendlies we are actually looking ok so let's see how we do against Motherwell today. If it goes Pete Tong feel free to talk even more utter fucking shite!! 

You're getting hung up on the individuals and examples I've used rather than trying to understand the point itself. 

Hartson and Sutton played up front together many times without Larsson and done well.  If you don't care for that example then pick one of the many hundreds of other teams who have used a direct style of play and physicality to get results.  Many a English lower league team have used direct football and physicality during a good cup run so start there.  Route one football, crossed balls to target men, physicality, set-pieces. are all valid tactics with proven records.  It's more popular now to mimic the likes of Barcelona, which we recently tried under Warburton, but it's evident that we lack the finances to make that type of football work even at this level.  All I'm saying is that big physical players are cheaper and more readily available than the silky expensive ones yet both can be equally successful.

I would also argue that Herrera and Garner wouldn't be "the most static front line in world football" or that "no football manager in the world would partner" them together.  You have a flair for hyperbole and misrepresenting a whole world of people you have no knowledge of.  Yet you accuse me of talking shite? :lol:  BTW, target men tend to be quite static that's kind of the point.  You want them in the box competing with defenders for high balls not running around with it at their feet.

Clint Hill's main goal at the end of last season was to keep playing football.  If we offered him another year, even on reduced terms, he would've taken it.  Given the manner in which we lost to Progres Hill could've potentially helped us through that match.  We lost a goal to a set-piece and Hill was very good at those.

1 hour ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Here's McKay's goal:

Letting McKay go for £500k at his age and replacing him with Dalcio on loan honestly is mind boggling. From Mckays statement it sounded like we forced him out too. He will end up moving for multiple millions in years to come. We didn't have enough patience, he only played 1 top flight season. I just hope we win plenty without him so it becomes irrelevant.

Cos we've got Joey Garner, we've got Joey Garner, we've got Joey Garner, oh no we lost him to a bunch of tractor loving bastards. 

I didn't realise MOH, a secret agent, had officially gone. Have we taken him back to St Johnstone? I hope we kept the receipt. We'll never get our money back without it. Reason for return? He doesn't fit into our team.

4 hours ago, RDB14 said:

Letting McKay go for £500k at his age and replacing him with Dalcio on loan honestly is mind boggling. From Mckays statement it sounded like we forced him out too. He will end up moving for multiple millions in years to come. We didn't have enough patience, he only played 1 top flight season. I just hope we win plenty without him so it becomes irrelevant.

He refused to sign a new contract so fuck him.

6 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Here's McKay's goal:

I would hope we have a sell on clause, or that we get extra for McKay playing a certain amount of games. Still, im not going to change my mind on the guy. He was good in Scottish lower leagues but hardly stood out in our top league. These type of lower league standouts are ten a penny. Let's see if he's still on good form by christmas. One or two good games does not make a top notch player.

Shame they all lack the ability, mentality, and work ethic to play for a top side nevermind Rangers. Sort of folk who consider finishing 6-10th a good season and don't mind losing three if they win four. All bound to languish in mediocrity after wasting their only chance at a big club. Wankstains.

21 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

I was a huge fan of Garner, his use of the ball and his play off ball was excellent at times. McKay at his best was our best player by a mile.

Warburton signed MOH and Garner yet neither was suited to how we play. They go to clubs who set up to suit them and they are game changing players. Sometimes football is simple buy players to suit your style of play and play them in position. As for Barry he clearly had decided to go and stick with Warburton which I suspect won't end well Forest will struggle over a season and their owners will bin Warburton. 

1 hour ago, bob1873 said:

Warburton signed MOH and Garner yet neither was suited to how we play. They go to clubs who set up to suit them and they are game changing players. Sometimes football is simple buy players to suit your style of play and play them in position. As for Barry he clearly had decided to go and stick with Warburton which I suspect won't end well Forest will struggle over a season and their owners will bin Warburton. 

Good post, and you might be right; from what I've read the Forest fans are unhappy with their defence, which slightly rings a bell.