Positives

RangersMedia

41 minutes ago, LaudrupsAsicsBoots said:

There's room for improvement but it's still a new squad getting to grips with playing together. 3 points in the bag is the main thing.

This:tu:

Said before the game that any win would do.

3 points is all that mattered and Motherwell played pretty good so we rode our luck at times.

Going 3 at the back was fine by me, as Pedro said they were launching balls into the box 2 v 2 and the extra man was more beneficial for us clearing our lines.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

This:tu:

Said before the game that any win would do.

3 points is all that mattered and Motherwell played pretty good so we rode our luck at times.

Going 3 at the back was fine by me, as Pedro said they were launching balls into the box 2 v 2 and the extra man was more beneficial for us clearing our lines.

Couldn't complain about this either tbh.

The folk complaining about it are probably the same ones that moaned about Warburton never changing anything. We can't have it both ways. Sure it isn't great having to bring on an extra defender against Motherwell but if that's the difference between 1 point and 3 points then so be it.

12 minutes ago, LaudrupsAsicsBoots said:

Couldn't complain about this either tbh.

The folk complaining about it are probably the same ones that moaned about Warburton never changing anything. We can't have it both ways. Sure it isn't great having to bring on an extra defender against Motherwell but if that's the difference between 1 point and 3 points then so be it.

Of course, got to be sensible and get the 3 points when the pressure is on, i have no problem if we have to go defensive to see out games against teams like Motherwell.

What we can't afford to do is let the beggars build up any substantial lead before we play them at Ibrox.

4 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Of course, got to be sensible and get the 3 points when the pressure is on, i have no problem if we have to go defensive to see out games against teams like Motherwell.

What we can't afford to do is let the beggars build up any substantial lead before we play them at Ibrox.

Absolutely. I said this to my mates as soon as the fixture list was announced, if we're to have a successful season then we need to be at the very least within touching distance of them when they come to Ibrox.

4 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Dorrans was class, Alves won every ball and in 1st half Windass was excellent.

The same flaws we've had in past few years are still evident.

Going 5-4-1 wi 15 mind to go was embarrassing, tbh

Nonsense, first time we've had a manager who reacts to what's happening on the pitch since Walter. He saw that we were looking a bit shaky at the back and changed it to tighten things up. 

We need to do whatever it takes to get all 3 points,  if that means going 5 at the back so be it.

4 hours ago, 55Bear said:

I kind of agree, I'm not nearly as nervy as when Kiernan/Senderos were playing but their equaliser showed were not impenetrable from set pieces. 

I think I was more nervy about all the corners than i should have been, but yeah alves and cardoso will be solid for us 

both centre halves very impressive ,the goal for me was an error from fod, he should be dominating that part of the box ,

if Cardoso was wearing green n grey the mhedia would be wanting themselves into a coma about a 30m plus epl target 

Didn't make the game today but watched on TV. I thought Jack was terrific - must've had near 100% pass completion rate. He was a bit clumsy when their sub almost got in at the end but can't remember him doing much else wrong. 

Him and Dorrans together in the middle - like night and day compared to our midfield last season. Thank fuck. 

Touching on what OP said... we would have lost that game last season. We had some good defending and saves... and some luck to a certain extent. 

Actually no point in me typing this  it has all been said.

4 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

We also hit the woodwork 3 times, which could have put the match completely to bed. 

More positives than negatives. First in a long time. 

Plus I could have scored Miller's chance if I had half a leg. Every time I see it back it gets worse 

5 hours ago, unionunderground said:

Cardosa giving Moult some afters and getting booked ?

My old man noticed this, he phoned me after the game to tell me he seen it on TV that Cardoso had no intention of getting the ball, he went fully for the man after he got elbowed in the neck. Compare that to any player from last season who would've probably apologised to Moult for running into his elbow. We won't be bullied this season that's for sure

Hard to argue with any of that. Felt bad for Windass no getting a goal, he was so unlucky :lol: 

We dominated the first 15-20 minutes and really should have won by about 3-4 by the end. We're still needing up front, Kenny's past it, he'll get the odd big goal here and there to shut me up but we're needing something better up front. 

Big game next weekend, I'll be very happy to take 3 points away from that. 

Big positive for me was the managers decisions, he saw the problem tried to fix it at half time it never worked so he hooked the problem.

Guys going on about how embarrassing it is going 5 at the back against motherwell really are fucking clueless tbh. Might as well have kept Warburton if that's the style they want 'do plan a better' and all that shite.

We played some tidy football at times and it was a good 3 points away from home.

7 hours ago, psb07158 said:

1. We'd have lost or drawn that last season. 3 points in the bag and we move on to the next game. 

2. First game of the season and we played some nice football. We have lots of new players and there's signs they are gelling 

3. Fabio Cardoso. Superb. Won us the penalty, strong and solid throughout. 

4. Dorrans is the best midfielder we've had since Davis. 

5. Windass has rediscovered what a football is. Faded a little in the second half but a MUCH better performance from him

It's always a little nervy at the end when there's only a goal in it but we should have been ahead earlier (and Moult should never ever have still been on the pitch). With experience, our game management will also improve - Tav having a shot on goal in the 92nd min from a FK? Stupid. Candeias down the right? Poor. Windass up the left? Silly again. Get it down the corner, get up the pitch, dominate the ball (Warbiola cliche but this one is required in these situations).

Fans again - excellent. 

Onwards and upwards Bears. Happy Sunday. 

Pretty  much spot on 

8 hours ago, psb07158 said:

1. We'd have lost or drawn that last season. 3 points in the bag and we move on to the next game. 

2. First game of the season and we played some nice football. We have lots of new players and there's signs they are gelling 

3. Fabio Cardoso. Superb. Won us the penalty, strong and solid throughout. 

4. Dorrans is the best midfielder we've had since Davis. 

5. Windass has rediscovered what a football is. Faded a little in the second half but a MUCH better performance from him

It's always a little nervy at the end when there's only a goal in it but we should have been ahead earlier (and Moult should never ever have still been on the pitch). With experience, our game management will also improve - Tav having a shot on goal in the 92nd min from a FK? Stupid. Candeias down the right? Poor. Windass up the left? Silly again. Get it down the corner, get up the pitch, dominate the ball (Warbiola cliche but this one is required in these situations).

Fans again - excellent. 

Onwards and upwards Bears. Happy Sunday. 

:tu:

The fitness of the team is much better than what we've had in the past. These guys look like the professional athletes one would expect of a Rangers team.

I'm impressed with the progress Windass has made he's becoming a better professional under Pedro. I hope he continues working hard to polishes off his finishes.

Full backs not up to the job and easily exploitable and set pieces. 

Positives: with the ball, Rangers look dangerous. Windass may well be key and looks as if he's comfortable out left where he has the ability to take people on. A real player in there and his negative is his engine as he faded out. Fitness may peak as the season progresses.

negatives: Big players and set pieces could be Rangers undoing. Other than Alves, nobody could really challenge some of their lumps with high balls. 

Ref watch: Not a bad performance, but how Moulton remained on the pitch after the forearm in the box for the penalty and followed up by a late challenge outside his box later in the game was beyond me. More dangerious to his own team as well and clearly not the brightest spark.