Herrera ?

Blackandra

The way I look at it is this, Herrera may not exactly have a prolific record and the compilation (a video I think i may have posted in the transfer section before he signed) video of his misses may be brutal BUT the goals he's scored were harder than them and included a few crackers (lovely header, overhead kick and first time volley inside post), perhaps more importantly his link up play, quick one-twos are something we've desperately lacked going forward.

He's here now playing teams that Warburtons Whallopers finished 3rd against and should have finished second against, he's not involved in games where somebodies family dies if he scores in the wrong ten-minute frame of a game, give the guy a chance and see what happens. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herrera is a target man brought in to lead the line and provide an aerial threat.  We also have Morelos who is quick and mobile to play next to him.  These type of strike partnerships aren't uncommon.  Under Warburton we were predictable in our build up but now we have different options. 

It's also worth pointing out that we lost a lot of goals from set-pieces last season.  When defending set-pieces against Motherwell Herrera was back in our box competing.  At one point Motherwell fired a corner in and Herrera got on the end of it with a good headed clearance.  If he can do that for us all season it'll make a big difference to our defensive record. 

He raised his game in the second half and managed to get his head on to a few balls. He will probably grab 8-12 goals this season imo but I reckon he will benefit from Morales playing off him rather than Miller, he looks nippy and will compliment the big man. 

First half he was minoby though. 

Someone could probably made a 15 minute video like that of Mcoists first 2 seasons with us, remember how that turned out, my point being lets give the bloke a fucking chance. Missing chances is something every striker does, its when they look as if they don't even know how to play the position that you worry, example waghorn.

We can only judge him in front of goal once he's given the chances, the game against Motherwell you couldn't really say he was given that chance, he wasn't provided the service into the box, some of the crosses went to far and other times instead of passing it across the shot was taken, I just feel some people are a bit too harsh and it's far, far too early.

It's the same with the general performance, I would not be surprised to see Rangers lift their performances once they have a few games under their belts, that game against Motherwell is a Godsend to us, not only because it was a tough test, it was a wakeup call, an introduction to Scottish football, a learning curve for our new players, surely people can't view that as a negative?

This learning curve should bode Rangers well, because going into future games they will only improve as their experience in Scottish football grows, yet people are all too quick to just write Rangers off from what was to be honest the first competitive league game in Scottish football. I fully expect as the more experience the team grows and gels, the better the performances we will see, is that a negative? No, in fact that shows you the potential we have this season. 

One game at a time now, full concentration on Dunfermline and here's hoping Rangers can get the result and who knows, may see an improved performance, and if Rangers can beat Hibs and Hearts at home, well it'll certainly lift the confidence levels around Ibrox and the team.

8 hours ago, B1872 said:

Got a feeling he won't be a starter. Reckon with the £1 million we are getting for Waghorn we'll go out and get another striker who will start upfront with Miller/Morelos.

We paid £1.5m for Herrera but you reckon Pedro will sign a £1m striker to start instead?

Ps he was fine yesterday. Bit quiet and clearly still not fully fit but ran himself into the ground, linked up with a few nice passes, won a few FKs up the park etc. 

If you watch the game back you'll also see he put himself into goalscoring positions but never got the ball cut back to him/crossed to him on at least 2 occasions. I reckon he'll be fine. 

Just now, psb07158 said:

We paid £1.5m for Herrera but you reckon Pedro will sign a £1m striker to start instead?

Maybe more, depending on the striker. Just reckon the money for Waghorn is a bonus and will go towards bringing in a striker. Might be 100% wrong but honestly believe there's still a bit of business going to happen. If we can see we need a striker then surely Pedro can also. We are still short of challenging but Walker and a striker would close the gap. A similar class to Dorrans would be amazing. ??

Just now, B1872 said:

Maybe more, depending on the striker. Just reckon the money for Waghorn is a bonus and will go towards bringing in a striker. Might be 100% wrong but honestly believe there's still a bit of business going to happen. If we can see we need a striker then surely Pedro can also. We are still short of challenging but Walker and a striker would close the gap. A similar class to Dorrans would be amazing. ??

Well, we can hope so but I'm doubtful we can find a guy of Dorrans class at that price mate. We got lucky with Dorrans and if it wasn't for the fact he's a Rangers fan I don't think he'd be here. 

Pedro did say last week he wanted 2 more - not sure if at that point he knew Waggy would be away or not. 

Walker, a striker and that full back we were linked with earlier in the window would be nice. McLean on a pre-contract in January. 

It's not all about scoring goals. I like the look of the big man. He gives us a real physical presence upfront and is a target man upfront who can hold the ball up and produce flick ons from punts up the park. Seen a little bit of that in the game yesterday

One of our best players so far this century was a big striker who was hardly prolific - Dado Prso.

His game was hold up play, drifting about the park, and dragging defenders with him, making gaps. Goals though, he didn't score loads.

There is more to being a forward than scoring goals. If Herrera turns into half the player Prso was, well....

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

Well, we can hope so but I'm doubtful we can find a guy of Dorrans class at that price mate. We got lucky with Dorrans and if it wasn't for the fact he's a Rangers fan I don't think he'd be here. 

Pedro did say last week he wanted 2 more - not sure if at that point he knew Waggy would be away or not. 

Walker, a striker and that full back we were linked with earlier in the window would be nice. McLean on a pre-contract in January. 

What happened with that boy? The news about Javier Abella, it just seems to have fallen completely dead. Perhaps the club was not interested in selling him or were asking too much.

1 minute ago, RangersScotty9 said:

What happened with that boy? The news about Javier Abella, it just seems to have fallen completely dead. Perhaps the club was not interested in selling him or were asking too much.

It was weird. His club said we were close to signing him then a day later Andy Devlin at The Sun reported we had pulled out, with no reasons given. From the sounds of things, his club were very happy and willing to sell (the Chairman spoke about how it was great that Mexicans were going abroad to play) but for whatever reason Pedro decided against it. 

Perhaps he prioritised his funds? With the Waghorn money seemingly coming in, maybe we will reignite our interest.