waghorn off to ipswich

robg58

Even after all the media hyperbole about how our team was so bad no one would be interested in them and we'd have to pay them all off, we've managed to offload all of them for fees apart from Forrester (who apparently we accepted a bid for, but he knocked back the move). 

I suspect that's partly down to them being english (mostly) and English teams paying silly money for anything with two legs down there. 

Pretty pleased with the board / manager for purging the lot of them regardless. 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the goals in the Championship, big man.

I remember when you got injured towards the end of the Season, the Bears were in meltdown as you had been knocking them in.

You certainly always tried and gave your best, no hiding, can't fault you there, unlike others.

But just not good enough for what we need now, which saddened both us and you, no doubt.

All the best Waggy!

Good luck to him wasn't good enough for us in the end but never hid and always worked hard even right towards the end - his contribution in the championship season was pivotal for our promotion as well so big thanks for that especially 

6 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Even after all the media hyperbole about how our team was so bad no one would be interested in them and we'd have to pay them all off, we've managed to offload all of them for fees apart from Forrester (who apparently we accepted a bid for, but he knocked back the move). 

I suspect that's partly down to them being english (mostly) and English teams paying silly money for anything with two legs down there. 

Pretty pleased with the board / manager for purging the lot of them regardless. 

I think the english have so much money, our players and those like them are probably only seen as a minor risk. And if it pays off.....

Just now, Essandoh said:

I reckon we'll see some movement for a striker soon. I can't imagine they'd let him leave just now if we didn't have someone lined up.

I think so too.

See really when you think about it going like for like ;

1 million for Garner 1 million spent on Herrera.
1 million for Waghorn 1 million spent on Walker (possibly)

That's two like for like replacements, for identical cash and we would/will be/are in a much better position because of it.

3 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

I reckon we'll see some movement for a striker soon. I can't imagine they'd let him leave just now if we didn't have someone lined up.

Probably see another bid for Walker going in any day now. 

All the best Waggy. 

Hope he can kick on down there. There's definitely a better player in there than we witnessed last season. Two bad injuries and being played out of position all the time won't have helped.

I'm sure most would agree he wasn't worth hanging on to though. Hopefully the freeing up of his wages will now go towards two new full backs. 

While I don't think he's good enough for where we need to be I do think we as a support forget just how little we created for the best part of a season and a half under Warburton for all the possession; slow going forward, passing sideways with very little in the way of cutting through balls or decent crosses and all made when the opposition has fallen back into Alamo mode, with this in mind it goes some way to negating the poor return from our forwards last season and even the latter half of the Championship season.

Waghorn's a bit of an all rounder, special at nothing but a bit of an all rounder and better at penalties than John A-Job A-kin-dae of Barnet (I have seen a few Ipswich fans mention him).  Is a £1m too much for Waghorn? Fuck yes, in a couple of words but if they're talking about spending more on Akinde then I think they'd be better off taking the punt on Waghorn and saving the extra cash because Garner ripped League 1 but when you look at the space he got down there and the time he got on the ball it explains both why he struggled in the Championship on previous attempts and why he did here, Akinde is a League two man who seems to have a decent eye/dig in open play but strikes me as slow, needs space, and his penalties are woeful - scores them but watch them and tell me the keepers wanted to save them, I'd take a punt on the guy for League 1 and for a few hundred thousand absolute tops but more than a million for the Championship? Please! Matty Taylor was one of the better looking available options for reasonable money down south last Summer on his League 2 form for the previous season and while he did seemingly well stepping up to League 1  for the first half of last season he has yet to find his feet in the Championship after 15 games returning 2 goals (wiki). Akinde jumping from league 2 to Championship for daft money has car crash written all over it. 

I think we'd have got more out Waghorn with a midfield that has attacking impetus or if we weren't playing back-10 teams every week but he's not the required standard on evidence for where we need to be.

I looked through the options down South last season for the lower than £1M bar knowing Warburton for some reason thought the talent was "rife" and the "value" was there, the pickings were very slim, to highlight how slim we signed Garner for a start, secondly at £1.8 fucking million, and both he and Stockley at Aberdeen had the best record for scoring headers (that I could identify) Championship and below in the season before last. From an Ipswich perspective, Waghorn in truth looks to be just one of a few that is available from a questionable bunch and if they've spent £1M truly there's desperation there. If on the other hand, it's true that Ipswich got him for near £250k then I reckon that's worth a punt in hope and better value than they'd get just about anywhere in England for someone that might cut the mustard for the season ahead. The obvious extra bonus is he's spent a year with Garner already so you would think there would be an understanding of each other straight off the bat that you wouldn't get with 2 players unknown to one and other.

Good luck to both the player and Ipswich, hopefully, he'll get more space and service than here and gets a few penalties to take, same for Garner by that token (minus the penalties).

8 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

There won't be another striker coming in .we have got rid of two and brought two in ,we need full backs and another wide player .