Morelos

K.A.I

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, RangersScotty9 said:

I like Herrera, different style of player, the target man and believe once he adapts to the Scottish physical style of play he should do the job well. I think he would compliment Morelos because he's that type of player who would create space for Morelos to get in and score.

I'm with you I like Herrera and while he's not doing anything spectacular he is occupying defenders and giving others space by taking up good positions. It didn't always come off against Motherwell but him and Miller were always close enough together for a knock down or give and go. I can see Herrera being the man we go with away from home where we might have less of the ball and go more direct and Morelos at home. I still think it's Miller + 1 though.

2 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

I'm with you I like Herrera and while he's not doing anything spectacular he is occupying defenders and giving others space by taking up good positions. It didn't always come off against Motherwell but him and Miller were always close enough together for a knock down or give and go. I can see Herrera being the man we go with away from home where we might have less of the ball and go more direct and Morelos at home. I still think it's Miller + 1 though.

Spot on, I think people have been too quick to jump on his back, had Windass put the ball across the box for Herrera to score into an open net they'd have been singing praises for him to be a definite starter. When you watch a lot of the goals Peña scored, a lot of it was passing moves in the box for Peña to tap in and I could only imagine this is the style of football Mexicans are used to, not that they don't ever cross a ball just that the football they're used to is a lot of passing.

The big guy was unfortunate not to score in a pre season friendly and he will prove a handful for defenders. You could be right about him being used in away games, hopefully Rangers create a lot more chances and I'm sure he'll score a handful himself, I think it's just a matter of time. I would personally love to see him partner Morelos, probably come soon enough, although I doubt he'll play against Hibs as it depends how his leg is. 

1 hour ago, RangersScotty9 said:

Spot on, I think people have been too quick to jump on his back, had Windass put the ball across the box for Herrera to score into an open net they'd have been singing praises for him to be a definite starter. When you watch a lot of the goals Peña scored, a lot of it was passing moves in the box for Peña to tap in and I could only imagine this is the style of football Mexicans are used to, not that they don't ever cross a ball just that the football they're used to is a lot of passing.

The big guy was unfortunate not to score in a pre season friendly and he will prove a handful for defenders. You could be right about him being used in away games, hopefully Rangers create a lot more chances and I'm sure he'll score a handful himself, I think it's just a matter of time. I would personally love to see him partner Morelos, probably come soon enough, although I doubt he'll play against Hibs as it depends how his leg is. 

He's not going to be 20+ goals a season striker but he looks an intelligent player that will help the team. I understand why we want to see a Hererra and Morelos strike force but Miller is still the man. 2 games, 1 goal and 3 assists. Miller + 1 for me every week. 

2 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

He's not going to be 20+ goals a season striker but he looks an intelligent player that will help the team. I understand why we want to see a Hererra and Morelos strike force but Miller is still the man. 2 games, 1 goal and 3 assists. Miller + 1 for me every week. 

I can't disagree, I think when it comes to even the big game against Celtic I would pick Miller up front, look at his record scoring against Celtic, hopefully Morelos can add to that but Miller has proved to be an important player for Rangers. Whether we see another striker come in or not, who knows, but I think Miller is going to be important for his leadership and experience this season.

1 minute ago, RangersScotty9 said:

I can't disagree, I think when it comes to even the big game against Celtic I would pick Miller up front, look at his record scoring against Celtic, hopefully Morelos can add to that but Miller has proved to be an important player for Rangers. Whether we see another striker come in or not, who knows, but I think Miller is going to be important for his leadership and experience this season.

I've seen a lot of criticism of Miller recently, especially on here, but if you include the Progres game he is statistically our most effective player. Too many fans clambering for the exotic foreign player to start with nothing to back it up. First name on the team sheet for me until the legs go. #miller+1

He's certainly a raw talent as others have mentioned at least he is hitting the target with most shots. I think with his pace and aggressive nature with a good run in the team this will be our 20 goals a season player but it only matters if he puts them away against Celtic, hibs, Aberdeen and hearts ⚽️

7 hours ago, westenclosure2008 said:

I've seen a lot of criticism of Miller recently, especially on here, but if you include the Progres game he is statistically our most effective player. Too many fans clambering for the exotic foreign player to start with nothing to back it up. First name on the team sheet for me until the legs go. #miller+1

I can respect that opinion, I don't buy into the whole thing about the age, I'm one of those strongly in favour of Niko see him as one of our strongest assets and I never buy into all of that. Rangers have a lot of good players in the team this season and yes Miller is certainly a very experienced player, I think he's starting to gel with the new players and the Dunfermline game proved that. I suppose one could argue they all hold their own unique asset such as Herrera being the target man, Miller being useful as a deep sitting attacking player and Morelos not only looks good giving support but reminds me of a bit of a poacher.

7 hours ago, westenclosure2008 said:

What are those statistics? Do they include goals/ assists per minutes played? Are you not including friendly goals others scored? If someone plays up front more than another, would you not expect them to score and assist more? Is the return enough from a Rangers no 9 first pick against the 4th team in Luxembourg, Motherwell and Dunfermline?

Fwiw I was much happier with Miller on Wednesday as he stayed up front and central more. There was none of the running to right back for a useless 2 yard pass.

He stayed where he should, and got the returns from it. His finish was very composed.

But for me there's 9 names on the team sheet that pick themselves. Then it's the 2 from 3 upfront.

If Miller does what he did on Wednesday I can't knock him being selected. If he does what he did pretty much all last season and even I'd say up until Wednesday I'd say he should be far from a guaranteed starter.

Edit:

Many on here had been saying we were desperate to see what Morelos could offer if he started a game.

2 goals, a key role in the build up to Miller's goal and won the free kick for Bruno's strike. 

Not a bad return really. 

Yet some would see him dropped.

2 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

What are those statistics? Do they include goals/ assists per minutes played? Are you not including friendly goals others scored? If someone plays up front more than another, would you not expect them to score and assist more? Is the return enough from a Rangers no 9 first pick against the 4th team in Luxembourg, Motherwell and Dunfermline?

Fwiw I was much happier with Miller on Wednesday as he stayed up front and central more. There was none of the running to right back for a useless 2 yard pass.

He stayed where he should, and got the returns from it. His finish was very composed.

But for me there's 9 names on the team sheet that pick themselves. Then it's the 2 from 3 upfront.

If Miller does what he did on Wednesday I can't knock him being selected. If he does what he did pretty much all last season and even I'd say up until Wednesday I'd say he should be far from a guaranteed starter.

Edit:

Many on here had been saying we were desperate to see what Morelos could offer if he started a game.

2 goals, a key role in the build up to Miller's goal and won the free kick for Bruno's strike. 

Not a bad return really. 

Yet some would see him dropped.

2 competitive games - 3 assists, 1 goal

17 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

2 competitive games - 3 assists, 1 goal

4 competitive games to be more accurate. 2 goals. 3 assists.

Not surprised your ignoring what 7 starts this season for similar stats as that is the truer picture but weakens the argument?

A goal roughly every 3 starts, as per last season.

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

4 competitive games to be more accurate. 2 goals. 3 assists.

Not surprised your ignoring what 7 starts this season for similar stats as that is the truer picture but weakens the argument?

A goal every 3 or 4 starts, as per last season.

since pedro came in Miller has been one of our most productive players 5 goals and 3 assists in 10 games under him last season and 2 goals 3 assists in 4 games this season. 

I've critised Miller a lot in the past . I felt he dropped too deep . Isolated our main striker (if it wasn't him ) and meant we played without a central striker (if it was him ) . However the start to the season he's had there's no way he should be dropped . A stronger midfield has taken the responsibility off him . Miller n morellos looked better for me but Herrera will be more suited to some games . 

18 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

since pedro came in Miller has been one of our most productive players 5 goals and 3 assists in 10 games under him last season and 2 goals 3 assists in 4 games this season. 

An improvement on his overall record of 47 appearances (41 starts) and 14 goals. Which is piss poor.

But stats only tell part of the story.

For me he's had one good game out of those four, Wednesday. Stats also don't show Morelos role in 2 of the goals on Wednesday. Crucial in both but he has 0 assists. In terms of goals from starting games Morelos has 2 goals in two games compared to Miller's 2 in 4.

And I was at the Marseilles game which was as close to competitive as a friendly could be. Again poor, average at best.

My point was to the other poster who was talking about calls for foreign players starting with nothing to back it up. Miller has had the opportunities others haven't, and for a Rangers no 9 it's hardly a great return. Morelos, one of those foreigners, has done arguably better with lesser opportunities.

If Miller can replicate what he did on Wednesday with greater regularity than what he offered last season then great. That would be productive.

Just don't see his form and returns to date this season (or last) making him "first name on teamsheet" at all. 

Guest Lloyd72
2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

An improvement on his overall record of 47 appearances (41 starts) and 14 goals. Which is piss poor.

But stats only tell part of the story.

For me he's had one good game out of those four, Wednesday. Stats also don't show Morelos role in 2 of the goals on Wednesday. Crucial in both but he has 0 assists. In terms of goals from starting games Morelos has 2 goals in two games compared to Miller's 2 in 4.

And I was at the Marseilles game which was as close to competitive as a friendly could be. Again poor, average at best.

My point was to the other poster who was talking about calls for foreign players starting with nothing to back it up. Miller has had the opportunities others haven't, and for a Rangers no 9 it's hardly a great return. Morelos, one of those foreigners, has done arguably better with lesser opportunities.

If Miller can replicate what he did on Wednesday with greater regularity than what he offered last season then great. That would be productive.

Just don't see his form and returns to date this season (or last) making him "first name on teamsheet" at all. 

Fully agree with everything you said there, if it was me I'd have Herrera and Morelos up top on sunday but there's now way Miller is getting dropped because he has Pedros nudes. Hopefully we see more of the Kenny we seen on Wednesday.

I think Miller and Morelos is our best partnership,Miller is able to pick a pass and likes to drop deep while Morelos looks to run in behind and into space looks ideal to me,not really a fan of the big target man especially one as static as Herrera and think he pretty plays to defenders strengths in Scottish football,for me the big clumsy SPL centre backs are going to be far more troubled by the pacy player looking to get in behind than the big lump that plays infront of them,don't get me wrong Herrera could be useful in some games and is a good option to have on the bench when a different style is needed but not a starter for me.

29 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

Fully agree with everything you said there, if it was me I'd have Herrera and Morelos up top on sunday but there's now way Miller is getting dropped because he has Pedros nudes. Hopefully we see more of the Kenny we seen on Wednesday.

Are we not playing tomorrow?

16 hours ago, westenclosure2008 said:

This, he drags defenders out of position, making spaces, spaces that a player like Morelos would take advantage, Morelos with his movement will thrive with those spaces.

4 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Fair play wee man, notched another goal. Really should have equalised in the 2nd half but I'm growing more confident this boy will score a lot of goals this season 

Probably one of the only positives from today, looks like a real penalty box player with a bit of creativity and grit to his play.