Pena

cushynumber

17 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Took some clips of noteworthy points in the game for Pena, now he did make some mistakes and I haven't done those so I'm not saying the guy is the real deal yet, he's still rusty but there is potential.

• First time ball over the top to Tav and look at this movement as soon as he's hit the pass it something he does really well
    giphy.gif

• Comes deep, nice first touch and good reverse through ball only undone by sliding block and then slides in attempt to win the ball back
    giphy.gif

• Nice bit of skill with the flick pass to Morelos and on the spin he attempts to get forward at pace again
    giphy.gif

• Shows positional awareness here just sitting off Morelos in the space in front of their back line. Reminds me a bit of Naismith's positioning in the year with Jelavic. For me this is something we have been missing.
    giphy.gif

• Showing for the ball once more in a deep lying position then spots the space and the move opening up and sprints into the space, nice couple of touches to play it through to Morelos and again he moves after passing and gets into a great position for the return where he'd be odds on to at least hit the target
    giphy.gif

• Gets back here to win the ball back twice and unlucky the second challenge didn't start a counter attack.
    giphy.gif

• Once more showing good positioning here in this move, staying farside of the marker until seeing the ball is coming in towards the front post and getting in front of his man, again Thistle with there 3 man central defence had someone to block the cross otherwise it was landing at Pena's feet.
    giphy.gif

• The goal, good movement to peel away from the marker(s) and as we have seen from his YouTube videos he is actually good in the air and the deft glance floats into far corner :dance:
    giphy.gif

• More evidence of the work rate closing down the first player then chasing the loose pass to nearly break through.
    giphy.gif

As I said he did make some mistakes and you could quite easily clip those and say he's mince but I think there was enough in the performance last night to believe that with some more starts and game time under his belt that he'll be an asset to us.

good post thanks for the effort :tu:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Really hope Pena and Hererra turn out to be stars for us just to shut up a few of the detractors who were slagging them after a few minutes in a blue shirt. 

Think they really could be.

Also think there's more of a chance of it happening with Pedro at the helm than a replacement.

On 20/09/2017 at 18:18, NeoGeo7 said:

Took some clips of noteworthy points in the game for Pena, now he did make some mistakes and I haven't done those so I'm not saying the guy is the real deal yet, he's still rusty but there is potential.

• First time ball over the top to Tav and look at this movement as soon as he's hit the pass it something he does really well
    giphy.gif

• Comes deep, nice first touch and good reverse through ball only undone by sliding block and then slides in attempt to win the ball back
    giphy.gif

• Nice bit of skill with the flick pass to Morelos and on the spin he attempts to get forward at pace again
    giphy.gif

• Shows positional awareness here just sitting off Morelos in the space in front of their back line. Reminds me a bit of Naismith's positioning in the year with Jelavic. For me this is something we have been missing.
    giphy.gif

• Showing for the ball once more in a deep lying position then spots the space and the move opening up and sprints into the space, nice couple of touches to play it through to Morelos and again he moves after passing and gets into a great position for the return where he'd be odds on to at least hit the target
    giphy.gif

• Gets back here to win the ball back twice and unlucky the second challenge didn't start a counter attack.
    giphy.gif

• Once more showing good positioning here in this move, staying farside of the marker until seeing the ball is coming in towards the front post and getting in front of his man, again Thistle with there 3 man central defence had someone to block the cross otherwise it was landing at Pena's feet.
    giphy.gif

• The goal, good movement to peel away from the marker(s) and as we have seen from his YouTube videos he is actually good in the air and the deft glance floats into far corner :dance:
    giphy.gif

• More evidence of the work rate closing down the first player then chasing the loose pass to nearly break through.
    giphy.gif

As I said he did make some mistakes and you could quite easily clip those and say he's mince but I think there was enough in the performance last night to believe that with some more starts and game time under his belt that he'll be an asset to us.

Great effort. Wish I had you doing that when I was still playing you’d of made me look a superstar ?

He didn't do much going forward today at all. But one of the things that was noticeable for me was the way he sat on Brown the entire time he was on the pitch - so much so Brown did nothing and the cellic midfield wasn't dominant at that stage. Pena stuck to his task well in that respect.

Sub pena for Miller and suddenly the whole game changed. Brown had more space and for the last 15 minutes, i don't think we kicked the ball as we couldnt get it off them. This is no great defence of Pena, but it points out how strong their midfield is - because as soon as we went 4-4-2 it was game over.

For me if we are to have any success in any of the competitions this year, we have to keep starting Pena, so that when the next cellic game comes round, not only does he mark Brown out the game in that position, but that he is a force going forward. 

The debate re Miller/Pena for me is over. Pena starts. Period.

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

He didn't do much going forward today at all. But one of the things that was noticeable for me was the way he sat on Brown the entire time he was on the pitch - so much so Brown did nothing and the cellic midfield wasn't dominant at that stage. Pena stuck to his task well in that respect.

Sub pena for Miller and suddenly the whole game changed. Brown had more space and for the last 15 minutes, i don't think we kicked the ball as we couldnt get it off them. This is no great defence of Pena, but it points out how strong their midfield is - because as soon as we went 4-4-2 it was game over.

For me if we are to have any success in any of the competitions this year, we have to keep starting Pena, so that when the next cellic game comes round, not only does he mark Brown out the game in that position, but that he is a force going forward. 

Bonkers , you watched a different Pena to me. The guy is fuckin terrible , no stamina and first touch is dreadful , another waste of cash.

4 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Pena was terrible. He was never any where near Brown. I don't know how a professional athlete can be so unfit.

1 minute ago, callumbo87 said:

Pains me to say it but Stuart Armstrong is ten times the player Pena is and cost them a fraction of what we paid for him.

our scouting network in Scotland is a disgrace compared to them.

you have no idea what we paid for him. Neither have I. Because a number wasn't released so the press made some up.

4 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

you have no idea what we paid for him. Neither have I. Because a number wasn't released so the press made some up.

To be fair to the press I think they quoted the fee that was listed on the Mexican clubs website when he was signed.

Also given the fact he cost them $8m 18 months before hand it's safe to say we've paid a considerable amount for him.

Archived