Pena

cushynumber

37 minutes ago, Amato said:

To be fair, you said he only possessed one attribute! Anyway agreed, a night to be happy

It's a pretty good attribute to have right enough and if he keeps it up then he'll do for me. I'm curious though would you say he has more about him? 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

It's amazing how someone so shite can score so many goals. The guy is deadly but my goodness he couldn't trap a bag of sand or pass wind. Long may the goals continue though! :dance:

I'll take the goals all day. 20% pass rate 90% goal conversion ??

A very enigmatic player. Scored 2 great goals and some of his play was actually very good but at times he looks like he's never touched a football in his life. But considering we aren't even 10 games into the season and our 3 biggest signings already have at least 15 goals,between them is a bonus (Dorrans, Morelos and Peña). Long may it continue!

Carlos Peña's having a party, bring the vodka and the Charlie :Banane21:

45 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

It's amazing how someone so shite can score so many goals. The guy is deadly but my goodness he couldn't trap a bag of sand or pass wind. Long may the goals continue though! :dance:

I do honestly believe bounce differences between pitches has a part to play here. I know i sound mental but he's played his entire career on rock hard pitches in Mexico all of a sudden that changes to softer grounds in Scotland.

The bounce can make you look like a fool.

You can't teach how to make space!!!!. I said to my auld da when i was about 8...why does Sounness have so much time?......because he's world class was the answer!! 

Let's give Pêna the time he deserves.

5 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

I do honestly believe bounce differences between pitches has a part to play here. I know i sound mental but he's played his entire career on rock hard pitches in Mexico all of a sudden that changes to softer grounds in Scotland.

You can't teach how to make space!!!!. I said to my auld da when i was about 8...why does Sounness have so much time?......because he's world class was the answer!! 

You right you sound mental ?

only joking mate Souness is a great example, best I’ve ever seen of controlling a ball at any hight or speed and losing 2/3 players with one turn, move was Zidane, the cunt always had time on the ball and made everything seem effortless, Pena was decent enough the night but won’t ever be mentioned in the same sentence as those two ever again ha ha 

1 minute ago, 1690tamRFC said:

You right you sound mental ?

only joking mate Souness is a great example, best I’ve ever seen of controlling a ball at any hight or speed and losing 2/3 players with one turn, move was Zidane, the cunt always had time on the ball and made everything seem effortless, Pena was decent enough the night but won’t ever be mentioned in the same sentence as those two ever again ha ha 

No...you miss my point I wasn't comparing them. But just pointing out my obserervations as a lad. 

Sounness was a world class midfielder. 

Pena seems to have ability to find space like quality players do. But his touches are often atrocious. 

Just now, Big Al II said:

No...you miss my point I wasn't comparing them. But just pointing out my obserervations as a lad. 

Pena seems to have ability to find space like quality players do. But his touches are often atrocious. 

I know you wasn’t mate, that’s why I said I was only joking. 

I actually agree with you Pena does seem to have something about him and the mistakes I’ve seen him make often look like a guy trying to hard to impress and when he lets it come naturally it comes off. The goals he’s scored have all been quality and what is it ? 5 now and not that much game time, not a bad return. 

We can't fault Pena's goal-scoring contribution especially when you consider he's had a lot less game time than some of the others.

2.thumb.PNG.87f51b27a85989825b2105dbfb0c21ff.PNG

Him and Morelos function perfectly in their roles together.  The CBs are so concerned with Morelos that it allows Pena to make those late runs unmarked in to the box as he should be doing.  Hopefully Wallace and John can get something going on that left side and really strengthen it.  Tavernier and Candeias already look a solid partnership on the right.

I feel very positive about where this team is at the moment and I think we can and will improve in the months ahead.  We've had some right bad luck in terms of injuries and refereeing decisions at the start of the season so hopefully we can get a bit of luck and put a right good run together.

3 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

I don't think he's performng at his full potential yet. There's no one-size-fits-all to how long it takes a player to adapt to a new team, especially in a new culture and football mentality. 

Personally I've seen enough to believe that there's a real player in there and that he's going to become increasingly important to us.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I don't think he's performng at his full potential yet. There's no one-size-fits-all to how long it takes a player to adapt to a new team, especially in a new culture and football mentality. 

Personally I've seen enough to believe that there's a real player in there and that he's going to become increasingly important to us.

Agree.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Agreed...and I'm making every excuse i can think of to justify his often mind blowingly atrocious touches.

I do trust in Carlos!

Scores 2 goals gets man of the match looks a lot better than previously, but nah he's shite. RM logic lol.

The two finishes the night were top drawer.

He had a mixed bag of a game but he is far from shite. Coming on a treat in the next month, a stormer in the semi and he will be brimming way the confidence.

4 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Agreed...and I'm making every excuse i can think of to justify his often mind blowingly atrocious touches.

I do trust in Carlos!

I remember reading something well back in the day where Ian Durrant was talking about McCoist and he said that his first touch was like a rapist (not a direct quote btw) and his record in keepie uppie was three.

Just now, The Beast said:

I remember reading something well back in the day where Ian Durrant was talking about McCoist and he said that his first touch was like a rapist (not a direct quote btw) and his record in keepie uppie was three.

You can coach technique...you can't coach instinct.

McCoist success was due to stubborness, single mindedness and pure instinct...all the best strikers believe in their ability beyond all others. He was one of the best...lets not forget...winning golden boot even after coefficient correction.

The very thing that made him a success as a player made him a failure as a manager.

5 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

You can coach technique...you can't coach instinct.

McCoist success was due to stubborness, single mindedness and pure instinct...all the best strikers believe in their ability beyond all others. He was one of the best...lets not forget...winning golden boot even after coefficient correction.

The very thing that made him a success as a player made him a failure as a manager.

You're not wrong. But the underlying point is that sometimes individual attributes don't reflect the whole player. Yes, some of Pena's touches look heavy but in other areas he looks the real deal.

Ok, so there's Pena in the first half, demonstrating a pathetic inability to make even the simplest of passes, and possessing a close ball control that is nothing short of embarrassing.

Then, in a millisecond, I'm sitting up, eyes popping out my head in disbelief when I see this same player in the middle of the park, chest control a very difficult ball then with magic timing and touch volley a pass high and to the side and behind into the path of a moving winger - fucking unbelievable! 

Then shortly afterwards, he has the vision to anticipate Tav's far post cross and, with perfect timing and skill, hit the ball on the half volley with great pace, bursting the roof of the net.

Pena's timing and control of the volleyed pass, and the volleyed finish for the goal were nothing short of world class.

Pena, Rangers' Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde.

I've seen it before, though, in a Rangers jersey.

Some of the older Bears may remember another Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - George McClean.

One minute he looked like a fucking clown of a football player, then, in the next, he'd score an amazing goal out of nothing :confused:

6 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Agreed and thinking back to when I was a kid, I remember the late great John White who, not for nothing, was called the ghost because of his ability to lose a marker, find space and Score goals.  Hopefully Pena can be our Mexican ghost.  

6 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Agreed and thinking back to when I was a kid, I remember the late great John White who, not for nothing, was called the ghost because of his ability to lose a marker, find space and Score goals.  Hopefully Pena can be our Mexican ghost.  

fuck you're auld :lol:

For me Pena will come good he is showing it in spells but he definitely has a knack for finding space in the box which is a real asset to have.  I would not play him in games against septic and Aberdeen etc until he is fully up to speed with the Scottish game.

people forget how quick the Scottish game is and you get next to no time on the job, anyone who has played football to a decent standard will know this ???

Best just to think of him as another striker for now he definitely has a Striker's instinct. Opponents in this league are drawn to him when he's given the ball because they know chances are they can rob him because of that terrible control. This is what the coaches should be concentrating on with Penna. You just do not get time on the ball in this country you have to be on your toes in every game. 

Extra work morning noon and night if that's what it takes for this guy because if he sorts out his failings the boy could be absolute dynamite for us. You can't teach what he gets right but you sure as fuck can bring him on in other areas of his game.

Pedro is giving him plenty of game time now and nobody can argue that hasn't bore fruit for us in the shape of goals. I so want this guy to do well but he has to work a lot harder on taking care of that ball. Still very optimistic we will see the finished article performing consistantly for Rangers. 

Archived