Pena

cushynumber

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last Mexican to play in Scotland was touted for a £10million move to Arsenal, Peña has double the goals tally already.

I'm intrigued by this guy, sometimes he looks all over the shop, others he looks dynamite. I'm gonna go on the assumption that he's dynamite and is merely finding his feet still.

mon the Gullit 

11 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I disagree with it almost entirely. The cant play football bit, is one of the most ludicrous statements I have read on here in a while mate. While his touch is still coming, I would suggest he has the best football brain in the team.

I'm talking about evidence of his control, passing, running with a ball, initial touch. All look like someone who is not a pro footballer. In the box his touches and finishes can be superb.

I've countered the footballing brain part by stating previously his runs into the box are timed brilliantly, he finds space really well. He's not in any way unintelligent.

I'm sure there's far more to come from him, and I'm hopeful he turns out to be much much better on the ball.

But given so many of us see it, I'm sure most neutrals do too, if you watch his general play you see he sticks out like a sore thumb currently as being as poor footballer (in general play) as we've had in a long time.

Yet I'd persevere with him, yes.

8 minutes ago, Dado'sMulls said:

The last Mexican to play in Scotland was touted for a £10million move to Arsenal, Peña has double the goals tally already.

Absolutely horrendous spin. Pena is improving and scoring goals, there's no need to post stuff like that.

(Assuming you're talking about Juarez?)

21 minutes ago, Dado'sMulls said:

To be fair, every youth player who gets a game for the beggars first team will be linked with a 10 million move to Arsenal/Spurs etc.

I got pretty excited when I first watched the obligatory YouTube video of Pena. 

Watch it again, he’s showing me plenty of the stuff that had him highly rated in Mexico, a decent standard and probably a higher level of opposition than most teams in our league. 

Aerial power, well timed runs into the box and deadly finishing. If he can get himself on the ball more in midfield and start creating on a regular basis he’s going to be hard to hold on to. 

15 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I just don't know. He looks great at driving the play forward, supporting the striker, getting in advance positions, taking chances...

But for as decent as he looks at that he looks 5 times worse as a footballer capable of playing in Scottish juniors than the worst junior player I know.

It's utterly baffling.

I'm becoming convinced you're under-estimating him; which is not like you. I see a footballer there, and I mean one that can play football and score goals. We'll see; you're record is probably better than mine with things like this.

55 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'm becoming convinced you're under-estimating him; which is not like you. I see a footballer there, and I mean one that can play football and score goals. We'll see; you're record is probably better than mine with things like this.

I see a clever player in there that is getting so many basics wrong it's like he's a junior player thrown into a professional game.

I like a lot about him, I just think the ability he's shown, between the boxes when on the ball (ie not his runs and support) has been gash. Based on evidence so far, not on what I think (and really fucking hope) he's capable of.

5 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I see a clever player in there that is getting so many basics wrong it's like he's a junior player thrown into a professional game.

I like a lot about him, I just think the ability he's shown, between the boxes when on the ball (ie not his runs and support) has been gash. Based on evidence so far, not on what I think (and really fucking hope) he's capable of.

The great thing might me that he is way off what he could be; if he gets there then we could have, what someone suggested earlier, a very good player on our hands. 

He is not going to be the player that will play a killer through ball to Morelos or dazzle us with incredible skill, but he is starting to show us the intelligent runs he makes and spaces he gets into in the box. Twice on Friday he drifted perfectly off his marker to score goals. He will be a nightmare for defences to pick up given where he starts his runs. On the ball he does look rusty, but as long as he keeps banging them in I'm not complaining.

Think the lack of time on the ball and the 100 mph pace of the game in Scotland may be a factor, I remember Porrini telling me that players find the pace of the game the biggest difference playing in Scotland.  

Too many ready to write this lad off after so little time, I reckon he has done alright for a fat bastard.     :whistle:

On 16/10/2017 at 17:05, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Is there any chsnce that the parks surfaces are affecting this? .. the grass in mexico is essentially bone dry vines & here hes playing on shitey astro & bogs like st johnstone .. might also explain why hes impressing the players at murray park on the short well looked after grass pitches. 

Anyways my tuppenceworth is a love the guy n predict hel be the POTY in scotland by tge end of the season ( hes already scored more than thumb, sinclair etc i believe )

If Pena keeps scoring the way he has been he'll have 20 goals by the end of the season.  For a guy who is unfit and still finding his feet in the Scottish game that's quite an achievement.  He can certainly head the ball as can Morelos so the sooner we get Declan John playing on that left side the better.  

Was speaking to a mate who worked in Mexico for 7 years and is back home.

Says Pena had all the talent to be a brilliant player but once he made his move to Chivas, the club scene took over. It has a reputation for parties and nightlife and lots of sportsmen in the country have been sucked in.

Said Herriera was always average and was surprised we signed him.

34 minutes ago, Clarkyyy said:

Is there any chsnce that the parks surfaces are affecting this? .. the grass in mexico is essentially bone dry vines & here hes playing on shitey astro & bogs like st johnstone .. might also explain why hes impressing the players at murray park on the short well looked after grass pitches. 

This:tu:

I'm sure Pedro has mentioned it and i think Souness is on record as saying the bounce of the ball can make you look very stupid.

You have this and all the other stuff like moving to a new country/culture away from your family and comfort zone for the first time in your life, it can't be easy for Pena and it's not just a case of "aw he is a football player on good money so should cope"

I'm inclined to believe that he will become a very good player for us, his goals so far are helping me form that opinion.

9 minutes ago, BlueMexican said:

Was speaking to a mate who worked in Mexico for 7 years and is back home.

Says Pena had all the talent to be a brilliant player but once he made his move to Chivas, the club scene took over. It has a reputation for parties and nightlife and lots of sportsmen in the country have been sucked in.

Said Herriera was always average and was surprised we signed him.

Is it August? Fuck me, my time machine works! 

Archived