*** The Official Rangers vs Dundee Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

Great result yesterday.

But the days highlight came when myself and @Rfc52 had the great honour of meeting the newly crowned world hide 'n seek champion 2017.

Would say it was a face to face meeting, but it was more a face to arse meeting. :rofl:

Anyway, was a major bonus on the day and an encounter that will live long in the memory. :dance:

15 hours ago, K.A.I said:

What I am saying is I understand all good teams need a player to play that role, but good players playing that role offer more than going through a game where you don't notice them. Guys like Gerrard, Makalele, Xavi, Iniesta, Keane, Vieria who would have played that position for their teams at their peak and guys like Barry Ferguson second time round and Stuart McCall with us played that role but they stood out and you could see what they bring to the table.

Jack isn't a bad player but guys like him and Hemdani who used to play there for us too are a certain type of defensive midfielder who go un-noticed.

I don't want my defensive midfielders to be un-noticed and do small things/easy things. I look for something different defensive midfielders.

Some defensive midfielders like Jack and Hemdani, when in a bad team or when the teams had a bad result look terrible and when we have a comfortable win they look great to some - despite doing the exact same job and having the exact same standard of performance. 

As I said, it's just what you like in a player. It's not so much the position itself but the player playing it

Are you honestly using THE six best midfielders of a generation as a benchmark for assessing Jack's contribution to our midfield?

11 minutes ago, beararse said:

Are you honestly using THE six best midfielders of a generation as a benchmark for assessing Jack's contribution to our midfield?

No that's not what I'm saying - I was only using them as examples of the type of defensive midfielders I like as they are high profile 

I like defensive midfielders who get involved a lot more - Senna and Cambiasso two examples even in their later years 

Anyone else think the ref had a decent game? Seems Hugh has had a few words with his son :lol:

Apart from booking Morelos I thought the ref was good, particularly when Morelos was flagged offside but he brought it back for a foul on Tav. 

When he was waving play on but it looked like he was basically telling Dorrans where Tav was on the right hand side in the first half :lol: Mason brothers until the end

2 hours ago, TheCutch said:

Great result yesterday.

But the days highlight came when myself and @Rfc52 had the great honour of meeting the newly crowned world hide 'n seek champion 2017.

Would say it was a face to face meeting, but it was more a face to arse meeting. :rofl:

Anyway, was a major bonus on the day and an encounter that will live long in the memory. :dance:

That was hilarious man :lol:

Legs hanging out on the stairway but he was certain they couldn't see him

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

No that's not what I'm saying - I was only using them as examples of the type of defensive midfielders I like as they are high profile 

I like defensive midfielders who get involved a lot more - Senna and Cambiasso two examples even in their later years 

It also comes down to the quality of opposition too. If a DM is up against better teams regularly then their value will be more obvious.

If they are playing against dross most weeks then it might seem like a wasted jersey.

2 hours ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

The mark of a good team is to pick up 3 points when not playing great. 

How many times have you seen the beasts toil and score a few late goals

I totally agree with that but I actually enjoyed the game yesterday and bar about 5/10 minutes in at the start of the second half I thought we played well. I'm sorry but Tenerife bear is always so negative that when I saw his comments, although when I think about it unsurprised,  for some reason they pissed me off! I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. 

Had an absolutely superb day with the old man at the game yesterday. From the pre match beers in the sun & heat, to the armed forces tributes, to the game itself. Was a little concerned after half an hour but once we broke the deadlock things seemed comfortable and we were largely dominant and could have scored more.

Standouts for me were Candeias, Morelos and Alves.

This is a special club and days like yesterday remind me why we make the effort. At the airport now waiting for a flight home reminiscing on a top day out