Jump to content

SFA refuse to reopen case against Rangers


Recommended Posts

Seems slanty eyes is losing his grip on Scottish football, cue the outcry from all the usual suspects. 

 

The Scottish FA has written to member clubs advising it will not participate in any independent review into the game's response to Rangers' use of Employee Benefit Trusts.

The governing body's stance would appear to rule out any football-led review into the way the Ibrox club's use of the tax scheme was handled.

The Scottish Professional Football Leaguecalled for a review in July.

That followed a Supreme Court ruling in HMRC's favour in respect of EBTs.

More than £47m was paid to Rangers players, managers and directors between 2001 and 2010 in tax-free loans.

However, HMRC argued the payments were earnings and should be taxable, eventually winning their case after two tribunals in 2012 and 2014 previously found in Rangers' favour.

Rangers tax case - what does it mean?

Who were the EBT beneficiaries?

In a letter to member clubs, the SFA said they received correspondence from the SPFL on behalf of all 42 league clubs with "an invitation to participate in the proposed review", and that one unnamed club had also written individually to the SFA calling for the review to take place.

"After careful consideration, the Board of the Scottish FA has declined the invitation to participate in such a review," the SFA said in their letter.

"The Scottish FA is currently examining the detail of what was said in the most recent court cases and you can be assured that the matter will be dealt with by the Compliance Officer if there is any suggestion that the organisation has been knowingly misled in any of the matters that came before it.

"However, the image of the game in Scotland can only be damaged further by 'raking over the coals' of everything that has happened in the last six years for a further lengthy period of time.

Image copyrightSNS

Image captionSPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster wanted an independent review of Scottish football governance

"No-one is complacent or insensitive to the issues. It will be impossible to satisfy every supporter, every club official and every member club. Nevertheless, the Board of the Scottish FA is resolute.

"It has acted with integrity and in the best interests of Scottish football at all times."

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster revealed in July that the league had taken legal advice following the Supreme Court judgement, which ruled out any further sanctions on the Ibrox club by the league.

The SPFL chairman Ralph Topping supported calls for an independent review and said the league would "seek to agree terms of reference with the Scottish FA".

A 2013 Scottish Premier League commission had found that Rangers were in breach of player registration rules during the EBT period.

Headed by Lord Nimmo-Smith, the commission fined the Ibrox club £250,000 but resisted calls for them to be stripped of titles won during that period.

However, following the Supreme Court ruling in favour of HMRC, celtic said they expected the SPFL to review the 2013 decision that their city rivals "did not gain any unfair competitive advantage".

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obviously I'm delighted with this but celtic should be disciplined for trying to tarnish the Scottish game further for personal gain. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the SFA or SPFL could have sanctioned further penalties, especially financial ones, they most certainly would have. Sure Lawell must have known this? Or is he just shit stirring to appease the smelly tramps he calls supporters? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SuperPapac05 said:

If the SFA reopen this case then they'll expose themselves as completely incompetent for their handling of it the first time round. Not even appeasing their beloved Tarriers will make them do that.

They've long been exposed as incompetent, fucks knows how Regan and Doncaster are still at the head of Scottish football. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DennyBlueNose said:

They've long been exposed as incompetent, fucks knows how Regan and Doncaster are still at the head of Scottish football. 

Oh we all know that, but this will be them telling the world that, themselves. Regan and Doncaster couldn't organise a wank in a brothel. Both a pair of useless cunts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"However, the image of the game in Scotland can only be damaged further by 'raking over the coals' of everything that has happened in the last six years for a further lengthy period of time"

 

This is the main point for me.  We need to move forward with a firm focus on the football.  celtic are enjoying a period of dominance so they have more reason than anyone to get back to the football.  Constantly dragging this shit up all the time does no one any good.  Time to draw a fucking line under it and move on.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jintybear said:

Obviously I'm delighted with this but celtic should be disciplined for trying to tarnish the Scottish game further for personal gain. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the SFA or SPFL could have sanctioned further penalties, especially financial ones, they most certainly would have. Sure Lawell must have known this? Or is he just shit stirring to appease the smelly tramps he calls supporters? 

There must be an AGM in the offing, he'll be rehearsing his lines for the baying hordes as we speak.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP is that copied from BBC article? There's a bit been added since which is less good:

However, in the letter to clubs, the SFA also informed that the court testimony of two former directors of Rangers Football Club plc (Oldco) regarding "overdue payables" - in what is known as the 'Wee Tax Case' - "might have implications in the context of the Uefa licence granted in 2011".

"On the face of it, there seem to be contradictions between those statements and written representations made at the time," it stated.

"In 2011, Oldco indicated there was an ongoing dispute with HMRC, but the evidence in the Craig Whyte [former Rangers owner] trial suggests that Oldco knew by early 2011 that it had no defence to HMRC's claim.

"This matter has been referred to the compliance officer for further investigation following receipt of information of a written opinion from senior counsel."

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Oh we all know that, but this will be them telling the world that, themselves. Regan and Doncaster couldn't organise a wank in a brothel. Both a pair of useless cunts. 

I know mate, the TV deal they've negotiated is killing the game, the coefficient is as low as it's been and it's falling even further, the whole of Scottish football needs a massive shake up but they seem to get off scot-free. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Amato said:

OP is that copied from BBC article? There's a bit been added since which is less good:

However, in the letter to clubs, the SFA also informed that the court testimony of two former directors of Rangers Football Club plc (Oldco) regarding "overdue payables" - in what is known as the 'Wee Tax Case' - "might have implications in the context of the Uefa licence granted in 2011".

"On the face of it, there seem to be contradictions between those statements and written representations made at the time," it stated.

"In 2011, Oldco indicated there was an ongoing dispute with HMRC, but the evidence in the Craig Whyte [former Rangers owner] trial suggests that Oldco knew by early 2011 that it had no defence to HMRC's claim.

"This matter has been referred to the compliance officer for further investigation following receipt of information of a written opinion from senior counsel."

Aye mate from the bbc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Amato said:

OP is that copied from BBC article? There's a bit been added since which is less good:

However, in the letter to clubs, the SFA also informed that the court testimony of two former directors of Rangers Football Club plc (Oldco) regarding "overdue payables" - in what is known as the 'Wee Tax Case' - "might have implications in the context of the Uefa licence granted in 2011".

"On the face of it, there seem to be contradictions between those statements and written representations made at the time," it stated.

"In 2011, Oldco indicated there was an ongoing dispute with HMRC, but the evidence in the Craig Whyte [former Rangers owner] trial suggests that Oldco knew by early 2011 that it had no defence to HMRC's claim.

"This matter has been referred to the compliance officer for further investigation following receipt of information of a written opinion from senior counsel."

The issue surrounding EBTs is that grey I can't believe Rangers knew by 2011 that we had no defence . It may well be , of course , that it was somebody's personal point of view , and not that of Rangers . 

It certainly looks like they're trying hard to find something though . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Amato said:

OP is that copied from BBC article? There's a bit been added since which is less good:

However, in the letter to clubs, the SFA also informed that the court testimony of two former directors of Rangers Football Club plc (Oldco) regarding "overdue payables" - in what is known as the 'Wee Tax Case' - "might have implications in the context of the Uefa licence granted in 2011".

"On the face of it, there seem to be contradictions between those statements and written representations made at the time," it stated.

"In 2011, Oldco indicated there was an ongoing dispute with HMRC, but the evidence in the Craig Whyte [former Rangers owner] trial suggests that Oldco knew by early 2011 that it had no defence to HMRC's claim.

"This matter has been referred to the compliance officer for further investigation following receipt of information of a written opinion from senior counsel."

Throwing the obsessed a bone by the sounds of it, a diversion to stem the flow of anger from the obsessed. Basically this issue is dead in the water but here's something else we might be able to fuck them with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DennyBlueNose said:

Throwing the obsessed a bone by the sounds of it, a diversion to stem the flow of anger from the obsessed. Basically this issue is dead in the water but here's something else we might be able to fuck them with. 

That's the thing. Even if they were to find something (doubtful), what possible sanctions could they look at?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jintybear said:

Obviously I'm delighted with this but celtic should be disciplined for trying to tarnish the Scottish game further for personal gain. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the SFA or SPFL could have sanctioned further penalties, especially financial ones, they most certainly would have. Sure Lawell must have known this? Or is he just shit stirring to appease the smelly tramps he calls supporters? 

Their AGM must be on the horizon....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 12 May 2021 17:00 Until 19:00
      0  
      Livingston v Rangers
      Tony Macaroni Arena
      Scottish Premiership

×
×
  • Create New...