espanyolification

magic8ball

2 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Sum bump .Aye Iv been thinking of the post I made didn’t realise it was so long ago .It was never my theory it’s was one I noted and saw evidence of it happening and potential for it to be very damaging .

Since the post we have seen remarkable changes .Not just in our fortunes but the tarrier collapse .

Theres one thing for me that was key to the change .So many factors but the key and main factor was the desire of the fans to keep things moving in the right direction .Last summer it could have been a complete collapse .I would say the majority even if a slim one wanted a change of manager and we faced a time where it looked like months ,probably until Xmas that fans were not allowed in but the season tickets still sold out .Remarkable backing .

Something that most of us won’t have thought about but it will be true .There are many guys on the season ticket list who won’t have been regulars last time we win the league .Probably makes up as much as a third of the season ticket holders .The will to stick with it as well as the loyal backing of a hardcore that’s been going and paying for 10,20,30 ,40 plus years has been the bedrock to build what we have today .

The league might be back on its way home but we can’t take the foot off the gas .The dark forces at work who forced us to where we were and did their best to hold us back and cripple the club are still there .

Sorry I know it wasn’t you that wrote the original thing, but I just found the thread title. As I said though, I absolutely thought this had happened. It’s incredible where we are 

2 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

Sorry I know it wasn’t you that wrote the original thing, but I just found the thread title. As I said though, I absolutely thought this had happened. It’s incredible where we are 

Oh a know 😁

Its fantastic ,Iv not been in the group who have been cautious to get ahead of ourselves .But at the same time Iv not let myself get carried away too much .It’s been 3 months of escalating excitement.

Reckon il be gutted when the leagues actually mathematically won to be honest .Well gutted after about a week. This has been an amazing 3 months .Us keeping on moving in the right direction and the tarrier meltdown has been better than I thought possible .😁

Their greatest enemies were never us, they were complacency and arrogance.

When Rodgers fled, they had a choice to make.

Do we grow, progress, develop, build on the position of strength? Or do we do the bare minimum, a house-trained monkey who would almost literally work for nothing?

Your main rivals are still in disarray so why buy a Merc or a Jag when a clapped out old Fiesta will get you over the line?

They really thought we were many years away and the speed of their collapse has been staggering. One of them on SSB tonight fearing a FORTY point gap.

The tables have been turned completely to the extent that those seeking parity and  healthy competition might have to wait a while yet.

In some ways our hubris bit us in the arse at the end of the 9 in a row years. Even more so with them now. Hopefully we learn that lesson. Need to always strive as though they're always ready overtake us, whether it's true or not.

17 minutes ago, Inigo said:

In some ways our hubris bit us in the arse at the end of the 9 in a row years. Even more so with them now. Hopefully we learn that lesson. Need to always strive as though they're always ready overtake us, whether it's true or not.

You could be right but we were pretty much humble winners, they on the other hand have an unwarranted smugness that on the face of it you think they have earned but if you scratch the surface you realise how fake it was.

13 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

You could be right but we were pretty much humble winners, they on the other hand have an unwarranted smugness that on the face of it you think they have earned but if you scratch the surface you realise how fake it was.

“Absolute power corrupts absolutely”

:pipe:

On 24/09/2017 at 09:08, Gman36 said:

I don't really see this article as offering very much insight into our current plight. Particularly the praise of David Murray.

We aren't really Espanyol -  La liga has two dominant teams, the comparison would work if either barca or real suddenly hit the skids in the manner we did.

If you think back to the 90's, we were utterly dominant, signing some of the world's top players and won 9 in a row. sellik were in the doldrums and never looked like competing. It seemed then as if we were unstoppable.

Where they are at the moment is nothing like as dominant as what we were then. They've got a business model at the moment that's working well, let's be honest it appears to be working really well, but is reliant on champions league qualification a minimum of what once every three years. They're signing prem league rejects, and young prospects good enough to dominate in Scotland, and scrape into the champs league.

It wouldn't take that much for us to achieve the same. It would take an initial investment, some decent signings and a few prospects. A bit of luck too if managed to find a guy we could punt down to England for a large profit. At that point the title probably swings back and forward like it did in the 2000's.

Money is the number one factor in this, but it would also take people. We'd need the right people from top to bottom - I doubt anyone on the board and senior management is good enough at present (I don't know this of course there may be exceptions).

Unfortunately the one thing we cant really account for is time. To completely overhaul the club and setup a system to more or less replicate the business and footballing structure sellik have will take time. And time in football is a precious commodity.

To me the only way this can happen is if we get some kind of figurehead in whos willing to throw a few quid in to get this started. We have to hope somehow there's someone out there who's got the finances for it wants to come in and try and help us turn it around. 

Quite a good post in response to that article there. 

Hopefully the tims will carry on with their current "cellicification" process. Aberdeen having already completed the "aberdeenification" process years ago.

For a while I was just as worried about potential "evertonification", relaxed club, once the more successful  team but now used to being 2nd best, board that accepts it, new age fans who are happy just to be friends rather than enemies. 

Would have been worse than" espanyolification". 

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Espanyolification isn't a thing. The two have never been particularly close. Espanyol won 11 of 49 games between them from 1950-1969 and the closest they came to finishing above Barca in the league in the same spell was finishing one place behind once in 20 years.

Yes, but what i took from the original article, was that Rangers could turn into Espanyol, not that they had been, but could turn into an Espanyol and Barca situation, and as you say, never going to be above them.  That was the worry.

And as this season as shown, that won't be the case :rangers:

1 hour ago, Siam69 said:

Yes, but what i took from the original article, was that Rangers could turn into Espanyol, not that they had been, but could turn into an Espanyol and Barca situation, and as you say, never going to be above them.  That was the worry.

And as this season as shown, that won't be the case :rangers:

Without trying to veer too far from the OP, Queen's Park would've probably been a more fitting comparison.  Once dominant team in the country left as an irrelevance.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Without trying to veer too far from the OP, Queen's Park would've probably been a more fitting comparison.  Once dominant team in the country left as an irrelevance.

Dude ,it was The Gub on FF who wrote the Espanyolification blog a good few years ago .

From memory the point he was making that the difference between the clubs in Barcelona was driven by an underlying political agenda .

At one point there was very little between the teams but due to a difference in political background (Espanyol) were loyal to Spain and subsequently were treated very differently by local authorities etc .Eventually Barca became more powerful and Espanyol left behind .

As for Queens Park your correct to an extent ,They were a top club back before the club built on “immigrants poverty” came to the fore .It would be worth looking into what happened there .I would reckon that QP supporting families would have moved over to being Rangers supporters .