Rangers Picture Thread

Just now, Don54 said:

I misread it mate it wasn't dandy it was George Mclean

1453523533_Rangers1960-612.thumb.jpg.0a0461b094fd0954dbe11bd70532da04.jpg

That's the one Bud only played can half a dozen league games and a couple of pre season, usual big things expected but didn't work out, transferred to Norwich just before Dandy was signed.

(The Athletic News, 01-08-1927)

The Scottish League champions confidently look forward. The playing staff numbers 25, only three being newcomers. All are half-backs – J. Simpson, J. Docherty, and T. Lockie. Simpson comes to Ibrox from Dundee United. He is 19, and is a player of distinct promise in the centre half position. In style he is not unlike Jack Hill, of Burnley. Docherty, a right half, comes from Cambuslang Rangers. Both in destructive and constructive work he shows ability above the average. Lockie, from the Border junior club Duns, is a centre half, big and strongly built.

Three familiar figures will be absent from the team – Robert Manderson, Thomas Cairns, and Arthur Dixon. Manderson and Cairns have been transferred to Bradford and Bradford City respectively, but Arthur Dixon is still without a club. All three gave sterling service to the Rangers, and their absence will be regretted by their many admirers.

There is no reason to doubt that the Rangers will be as big a force in Scottish football as in the past. With their big list of stars’ the Ibrox club and its supporters are hopeful that next season will witness a Scottish Cup triumph – a triumph which has evaded the club for over twenty years. League honours are familiar to Rangers, but the Cup is a total stranger.

To those who have not visited Ibrox Park since April a big change in the ground will be apparent. The old pavilion has been demolished and a palatial new one erected. The dressing-rooms embrace all the latest equipment for training, and the directors’ accommodation is magnificently finished. Next summer the grandstand extension will be proceeded with, the embankment enlarged, and in season 1928-29 Ibrox Park should comfortably house 120,000 spectators.

Thomas Hamilton,
Renfrew,
Goalkeeper,
6ft. 0in., 12st. 6lb.;

William Moyles,
Glasgow,
Goalkeeper,
5ft. 8½in., 11st. 5lb.;

Douglas Gray,
Aberdeen,
Right back,
5ft. 8in., 11st. 4lb.;

David Weir,
Shotts,
Right back,
5ft. 10½in., 12st. 4lb.;

James Hamilton,
Bargeddie,
Left back,
5ft. 8½in., 12st.;

Robert Hamilton,
Newry,
Left back,
5ft. 11½in., 12st.;

William McCandless,
Belfast,
Left back,
5ft. 6½in., 11st. 10lb.;

David Meiklejohn,
Glasgow,
Right half-back,
5ft. 9in., 11st. 7lb.;

James Docherty,
Rutherglen,
Right half-back,
5ft. 8in., 11st.;

James Simpson,
Fife,
Centre half-back,
5ft. 10½in., 12st.;

Bob Ireland,
Darvel,
Centre half-back,
5ft. 10in., 11st. 6lb.;

Thomas Lockie,
Duns,
Centre half-back,
6ft. 0in., 12st.;

Thomas Muirhead,
Cowdenbeath,
Left half-back,
5ft. 8½in., 11st. 5lb.;

Thomas Craig,
Laurieston,
Left half-back,
5ft. 8in., 11st.;

Hugh Shaw,
Clydebank,
Left half-back,
5ft. 11½in., 12st. 9lb.;

James Osborne,
Greenock,
Half-back,
5ft. 9in., 11st. 8lb.;

Alexander Archibald,
Crossgates,
Outside right,
5ft. 8½in., 11st. 12st.;

William Hair,
Edinburgh,
Outside right,
5ft. 8½in., 11st. 7lb.;

Andrew Cunningham,
Galston,
Inside right,
5ft. 11in., 12st. 6lb.;

George McMillan,
Armadale,
Inside right,
5ft. 8in., 11st. 7lb.;

James Fleming,
Glasgow,
Centre forward,
5ft. 9in., 11st. 10lb.;

James Marshall,
Avonbridge,
Centre forward,
5ft. 8in., 10st. 9lb.;

Robert McPhail,
Barrhead,
Inside left,
5ft. 11in., 11st.;

William Chalmers,
Glasgow,
Inside left,
5ft. 9in., 11st.;

Allan Morton,
Partick,
Outside left,
5ft. 6½in., 10st. 4lb.

scotland-1927-rangers-buchanan.jpg.2f982465fadfb00728bb453fb05418c4.jpg scotland-1927-rangers-gray.thumb.jpg.1f59f802460e02e04cd6cc601243647d.jpg scotland-1927-rangers-mcmillan.thumb.jpg.71b765fb62774888c6b71752a87f30f9.jpg scotland-1927-rangers-morton.thumb.jpg.ca35c40909e333e7a417120f8200ae53.jpg scotland-1927-rangers-shaw.thumb.jpg.289169f1acb06c1c20fae58d9e390949.jpg

15 hours ago, gmcf said:

Just watched this on Sky Arts and reminded me of the old quiz . How many Rangers players can you spot in this clip . I know of 3  ( I think ) , though I think theres four . 

Edit . Wish I knew how to put a ' hidden ' on ! 

I think I can see 4 mate but not 100% sure

59 minutes ago, Don54 said:

I think I can see 4 mate but not 100% sure

I think it's been up long enough to post the answer . So dont anybody read on if you dont want to know ! 

I'm getting Davie Provan , George McLean and Davie Wilson ( I think ). Been told the other is Wilson Wood , but have to admit to not knowing him . 

2 hours ago, gmcf said:

I think it's been up long enough to post the answer . So dont anybody read on if you dont want to know ! 

I'm getting Davie Provan , George McLean and Davie Wilson ( I think ). Been told the other is Wilson Wood , but have to admit to not knowing him . 

I thought I could see Davie Provan , George McLean and Davie Wilson and  Ronnie Mckinnon but like I said not 100% sure

7 minutes ago, Don54 said:

I thought I could see Davie Provan , George McLean and Davie Wilson and  Ronnie Mckinnon but like I said not 100% sure

At the game right now , but if you can tell me at what time Ronnie McKinnon is on I'll have a look . Not heard him mentioned before so could be dubious.  

6 minutes ago, gmcf said:

At the game right now , but if you can tell me at what time Ronnie McKinnon is on I'll have a look . Not heard him mentioned before so could be dubious.  

Not a good view that's why I'm  not sure 

who.thumb.JPG.96c0a028a2f7e37a43c90a8728d360bd.JPG

6 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Not a good view that's why I'm  not sure 

who.thumb.JPG.96c0a028a2f7e37a43c90a8728d360bd.JPG

Hmm. Not sure I've ever seen Ronnie McKinnon with hair that length . I could be wrong though as it's a bit before my time and only going by pictures I've seen . 

Could be  a younger Clint Eastwood :lol:

Edit. One of the names mentioned was a certain @Bobby Hume :lol:

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

Hmm. Not sure I've ever seen Ronnie McKinnon with hair that length . I could be wrong though as it's a bit before my time and only going by pictures I've seen . 

Could be  a younger Clint Eastwood :lol:

Edit. One of the names mentioned was a certain @Bobby Hume :lol:

Yeah I've seen Bobby Hume and also Jim Forrest mentioned?

I've seen another post on YouTube saying it was filmed in an old Church in Manchester! 31-12-1964, that can't be right we played the scum on 1st of January and Davie Provan , George McLean,  Davie Wilson and Ronnie McKinnon ( if it even was him ) played in the match

10 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Yeah I've seen Bobby Hume and also Jim Forrest mentioned?

I've seen another post on YouTube saying it was filmed in an old Church in Manchester! 31-12-1964, that can't be right we played the scum on 1st of January and Davie Provan , George McLean,  Davie Wilson and Ronnie McKinnon ( if it even was him ) played in the match

The version I heard was Top of the Pops filmed it at the Locarno on Sauchiehall St . Sadly I don't think there's any way of finding anything out for sure  , not even the players present . 

13 minutes ago, gmcf said:

The version I heard was Top of the Pops filmed it at the Locarno on Sauchiehall St . Sadly I don't think there's any way of finding anything out for sure  , not even the players present . 

I'd say Davie Provan and George McLean are def there  1.05

15 minutes ago, Don54 said:

I'd say Davie Provan and George McLean are def there  1.05

Yep  , they seem to zoom in to George McLean and , who I think is Davie Wilson , between 1.45 and 2.05 while Davie Provan is there in the background . Provan"s actually on it quite a bit from 0.05 onwards . 

On 19/07/2019 at 18:06, thedarvelmarvel said:

dandy didnt sign till after 62 cup final but it might be his cousin and namesake  and i think thats kilmarnock .

It's George McLean signed 1959/60 and it's Dunfermline not Kilmarnock