*** The Official St Johnstone vs Rangers Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

7 hours ago, BUILDMYGALLOWS1986 said:

Mate, nae disrespect but you don't have a fucking clue if yer putting Pena and kranjcar on the park together.  Might as well start with 9 men 

I get what you mean, and I wrestled with it for a while, but when Peña signed, we were told he was a box to box midfielder. He must surely be fit enough to be able to start and play a full 90mins. So I put him where a box to box midfielder should be comfortable, rather than him being the link between midfield and attack and stuck Kranjcar in that role that Peña has been trying to do (pretty badly) so far. Obviously Niko won't last the full 90, but he should be able to last at least 45mins. Swap him for Miller or Windass at halftime. 

7 hours ago, glasgow argyle said:

Pena needs game time but is surely still a gamble? And for whatever reason is still not 100% match fit

Krankcar a similar story.

So to play both is a huge risk.

What about Holt who contributes nothing? Like literally nothing. At least Pena has scored a few goals. Holt is the worst passenger of them all. Mr Anonymous. 

13 minutes ago, Gustav said:

You cannae put a player in from the start if you know he's only got 45 minutes in him ffs

We need someone who can split a defence open for Morelos to flourish. Niko is the best player for that. I agree its a gamble, but its one worth taking IMO. Windlass starts every game, yet he clearly can't keep up a consistent level of performance for any longer than 45mins, if we're lucky. 

I'd rather risk Niko from the start, then he can be subbed if he doesn't make an impact rather than the possibility of having to gamble bringing him on to change the game and him having no impact. 

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

He played well last time. I would play him with Jack out.

It's all about opinions mate, i would have binned him in the summer following a season of contributing hee haw. I detest seeing him in a Rangers jersey, i am instantly reminded of our lower league years. Much like watching Wallace play for us. My heart sinks. It's just me mate, i expect far better. 

1 hour ago, Tenerife Bear said:

It's all about opinions mate, i would have binned him in the summer following a season of contributing hee haw. I detest seeing him in a Rangers jersey, i am instantly reminded of our lower league years. Much like watching Wallace play for us. My heart sinks. It's just me mate, i expect far better. 

As things stand right now we have fewer options in midfield with Jack missing, and we need a grafter in that team for this match coming up, to compliment Dorrans. I'd rather see Dorrans play a more creative role, and we have few choices than to put Holt in. Maybe Barjonas is an option alongside Dorrans, but I'd rather go with experience for this one. I don't really rate Holt, but right now we don't have many choices.

56 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

We need someone who can split a defence open for Morelos to flourish. Niko is the best player for that. I agree its a gamble, but its one worth taking IMO. Windlass starts every game, yet he clearly can't keep up a consistent level of performance for any longer than 45mins, if we're lucky. 

I'd rather risk Niko from the start, then he can be subbed if he doesn't make an impact rather than the possibility of having to gamble bringing him on to change the game and him having no impact. 

If a player can't last 90 minutes you bring him on when he's fresh against tired legs, you don't start him when he's going to tire and other players are still going to be fresh

1 hour ago, Tenerife Bear said:

What about Holt who contributes nothing? Like literally nothing. At least Pena has scored a few goals. Holt is the worst passenger of them all. Mr Anonymous. 

I respect but dont share your opinion.

With Jack & Rossiter both missing i think Holt is the best option we have.

I think Pena will start.

If he does i certainly would not want Niko to start. Just too big a risk playing both i.m.o..

Perhaps NIko replacing Pena yes.

All about opinions and i could be miles off the mark.

Maybe both will start and both play blinders and we win easily.

Then i would take my hat off to both of them.

And give up on my team selections.

But i do enjoy seeing what others think.

It would be a funny old world if we all agreed.

Come on Rangers no matter what 11 starts.

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

As things stand right now we have fewer options in midfield with Jack missing, and we need a grafter in that team for this match coming up, to compliment Dorrans. I'd rather see Dorrans play a more creative role, and we have few choices than to put Holt in. Maybe Barjonas is an option alongside Dorrans, but I'd rather go with experience for this one. I don't really rate Holt, but right now we don't have many choices.

It's pretty damn scandalous that we done so much business in the summer yet still have to call upon his likes. 14 new players yet still need Jason Holt, that's appalling management imo. I would play the kid in a heartbeat. He looks a far more accomplished player despite his lack of experience. I always prefer quality over a cautious safe bet.