How many goals did John Greig score for us?

pcbear

Just now, Redwhiteandblue said:

Thanks for posting that. I had never seen that before. If anyone else watches it, stick it on on the YouTube app and put autoplay on, there is some amazing videos to watch. All our players should be made to watch these videos so that they know what is expected of being a Rangers player. 

The full game is on youtube too mate. So is the Bayern Semi-Final.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

There's a great quote from the Cup Winners Cup campaign. I think it was against Rennes.

Willie Waddell asked John Greig to take one of their guys out and Greig replied 'for just this game boss or for good?' :lol:

The tackle he does in the first 10 seconds of the Cup Winners Cup final is brutal too. Would be a borderline red card these days :lol:

Borderline red?? The polis would be on ???

Best memory of John was at the piggery when wee Johnstone had the ball at the half way line on the wing doing his usual shite - going round in endless circles staying in the same place, getting nowhere.

The jungle, as usual, were lapping up his bullshit. Greig had enough of watching his shite, nonchalantly paraded over, shifted his hips and there was the wee ginger bastard flying high six feet in the air, landing on the other side of the track and almost rolling into the jungle.

As we pished ourselves laughing in the Rangers end, the jungle was fucking bealin', foaming at mouth to get to big John. 

Greig's legs and studs were rooted in that turf and rarely was he ever out muscled in a tackle.  Guys ran into those shoulders and thighs and bounced backwards. IIRC he did some coaching courses near end of his career and his football became very smart indeed.  A much slighter player in his youth at left half.

Those journeys in CWC were legend. In a bedroom with a wee radio, toss of a coin against Zaragossa.  Mr Rangers, that was Greig.

10 hours ago, tannerall said:

Probably my favourite Greig goal, even better as the tims were still disputing what they thought was a penalty for handball.

Was in the centenary stand that day right beside those fuckers, got hit with a can celebrating that goal :lol:

2 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Was actually just thinking about that goal.

My first ever time at Ibrox.

A league cup section game ending 1-1 if I recall correctly

Do  you remember Quinton Young (Cutty) he had a hoof on him as well and scored a few similar to that.

2 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Do  you remember Quinton Young (Cutty) he had a hoof on him as well and scored a few similar to that.

I remember Quinton but tbh can’t recall any particular goals.

The one above sticks out because it was my first match.

I have to admit that when I started going regularly (late 70s) I was usually too blootered to even remember the score . Buckfast has a lot to answer for ?

I remember big John scored a screamer from about 30yards out at Somerset Park I think if I remember we won 5-1 it was the game the Ayr keeper was swinging on the bar and the bears were chanting Hugh sprotts a monkey he used to wear a Green goalkeeping top against us and a blue one against the scum used to have a good laugh with him behind the goals and he usually was on the end of a good old doing from the Rangers in  the good old days.

14 hours ago, Rangers#1 said:

Was in the centenary stand that day right beside those fuckers, got hit with a can celebrating that goal :lol:

We were in the Centenary stand that day just to the Rangers end side of the halfway line . Did we give them the small section of that stand closest to Broomloan Road or am I just getting mixed up because we used to give them seats in the Govan when that was first built ?  The section next to the celtic end was smaller than the rest of the stand due to the old railway at the back , also remember the sections used to be different colours similar to how the new stands started off . Personally I think that Greig could have played another couple of seasons with the team we had then before hanging up his boots but as he said himself he couldn't turn down the chance to manage Rangers .

Just now, folkestoneger said:

When you watch that you realise how all seated stadiums wrecked it for us. We used to go and take over huge area of a ground and the home fans moved. Now we get a stand even if the others are half empty

For away games definitely.

Even in the Bundesliga now some stadiums have safe standing for the away support.

ST culture has lead to this decline. It would be much better for smaller SPFL teams to not allocate ST seats, just have a general ST, and the police and stewards on the day allocate where the dividing line is. It's not rocket science. No one uses the tape anymore so you could literally move across rows as more people start to fill up a section. Then they would get more fans at games and more money.

Could also be a goer in setting up mixed family zones. I'm sure if we are going to somewhere like Motherwell or Hamilton or Kilmarnock that would be fine. In fact on TV i've often seen Dad's with young bears sitting in the home stand with no bother.

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

For away games definitely.

Even in the Bundesliga now some stadiums have safe standing for the away support.

ST culture has lead to this decline. It would be much better for smaller SPFL teams to not allocate ST seats, just have a general ST, and the police and stewards on the day allocate where the dividing line is. It's not rocket science. No one uses the tape anymore so you could literally move across rows as more people start to fill up a section. Then they would get more fans at games and more money.

Could also be a goer in setting up mixed family zones. I'm sure if we are going to somewhere like Motherwell or Hamilton or Kilmarnock that would be fine. In fact on TV i've often seen Dad's with young bears sitting in the home stand with no bother.

Yeah you’re probably right to say it is more the tickets than the seats . When you remember being in fir park with about 25000 in it it’s just not the same though.

1 hour ago, Fred H Crawford said:

We were in the Centenary stand that day just to the Rangers end side of the halfway line . Did we give them the small section of that stand closest to Broomloan Road or am I just getting mixed up because we used to give them seats in the Govan when that was first built ?  The section next to the celtic end was smaller than the rest of the stand due to the old railway at the back , also remember the sections used to be different colours similar to how the new stands started off . Personally I think that Greig could have played another couple of seasons with the team we had then before hanging up his boots but as he said himself he couldn't turn down the chance to manage Rangers .

I'm too young to have ever been in that stand. I may be wrong, one of the older posters will be able to correct me if i am, but did the fans not used to switch sides at halftime? Maybe why you remember the taigs being in a different part of the stadium?