Ally Scott

Don81

3 hours ago, ronniescu said:

Was it not him who was about to come on as a sub against them and he started warming up in front of THEIR fans because he reckoned he'd get less abuse from them?

No that was Jim Denny. Ally Scott was a gamble that never worked out; a trier who just was not good enough.

4 hours ago, dougal72 said:

Had him in my taxi this morning. Sound guy and still follows the Gers. Any older bears have any memories of him? A name I had heard but didn't know much about him. Was here between 73 and 76.

Good to know he is still following, I agree with most above posts re- his ability, but hey he played for the bears.

His nickname was 'Bamber' after University Challenge host Bamber Gascoigne.  He'd went to University while at Queens Park prior to signing for Rangers.

He had loads of pace & energy but was never a regular because we had Derek Parlane , big DJ , Martin Henderson etc at the time. 

He ended up at Hibs then possibly Morton i think......

Forced McNeill into an own goal in the first game I attended v them.

Otherwise, I remember him most for the old Sunday Post match reports.

Probably Doug Baillie, used to refer to him as ‘Ally Scott with the dangling arms’!

Just now, seville calculators said:

obviously you're dad never saw jim denny.he was up there with the very worst

He does get mentioned too :lol: 

One of the weird ones is my old man said when they were in Barcelona they were all celebrating when they heard Colin Jackson wasn't fit and wouldn't play cause at the time he was hopeless but he eventually turned into a very good player.

5 hours ago, MisterC said:

My sources tell me he was a good player unfairly maligned by too many who know nothing about soccer

You are correct C he was unfairly maligned as a "soccer" player when he was trained at Hutchie as a rugger chap, in this case it was you can't make a sows ear out of a silk purse ! ?

image.jpeg.b054e0693d32daf642b3247be6933c1f.jpeg

15 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

My Dad told me he was the worst player he has ever seen for us, until recent years, alongside Gregor Stevens :lol: 

Wasn't the best but definitely not the worst, been some right roasters the past three to four years.

• 3 years later...

Ally Scott I remember fondly, not really.... I followed gers 73-75 home games, he was bonde an big (ideal for a decent center forward, you'd think) yeah he scored lots of goals but he had more chances in a game, than a monopoly board has. shite at heiders, scored a few crackers though (mistimed or fluked) he shouldve been better the fans woo'd him to get better, you felt for him and great to see him score in a cup final against celtic at hampden, a get out of jail for his many misses and scuffs in front of goal maybe him that drove me back to fir park and wullie pettigrew. cos I couldna count the amount of sitters he missed in front of the govan stand

On 16/07/2021 at 02:38, alan slieth said:

Ally Scott I remember fondly, not really.... I followed gers 73-75 home games, he was bonde an big (ideal for a decent center forward, you'd think) yeah he scored lots of goals but he had more chances in a game, than a monopoly board has. shite at heiders, scored a few crackers though (mistimed or fluked) he shouldve been better the fans woo'd him to get better, you felt for him and great to see him score in a cup final against celtic at hampden, a get out of jail for his many misses and scuffs in front of goal maybe him that drove me back to fir park and wullie pettigrew. cos I couldna count the amount of sitters he missed in front of the govan stand