Alex MacDonald

Deanzmeanzheinz

There's been many comments/praise about this Rangers Legend/Barca Bear. One thing that has regularly been cited is the important goals he scored - so here's a breakdown of goals he scored in semi finals/finals during his Rangers career. All of them at Hampden Park 

League Cup Semi Finals

1979 (disputed with Jim Casey og) 

League Cup Finals 

Scottish Cup Semi Finals

Scottish Cup Finals

9 goals in total all from central midfield. Take a bow Doddie

614785.jpg

Full hearted player.  Don't recall him playing (much) for Scotland.  Remember his joke about breaking church windows a good few years ago, in jest these days but perhaps not so in the bygone days of yore.  A great servant to the club and the Scottish game.  Met him very briefly once and was impressed.  Can any older Bears share memories of his Scottish caps if any.  Outwith my cable tow at the moment.

46 minutes ago, ZZed said:

I could never get how Doddy was not in the Scotland squad 74 or 78. 

Yeah, I doubt there was a better player that did what he did . 

Covered the whole midfield with a work ethic second to none . 

5 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Full hearted player.  Don't recall him playing (much) for Scotland.  Remember his joke about breaking church windows a good few years ago, in jest these days but perhaps not so in the bygone days of yore.  A great servant to the club and the Scottish game.  Met him very briefly once and was impressed.  Can any older Bears share memories of his Scottish caps if any.  Outwith my cable tow at the moment.

According to an old copy of the wee red book only got 1 cap 1976 v Switzerland ?? 

6 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Cut about with his son at school, in his house regularly growing up and attended several games as family guest at Tynecastle. A true Rangers man, unfortunately the son wad a Hearts fan :whistle:

Not seen the son for 20 years.

How does that happen? I've also heard Bobby Russells son is a celtic fan and Sandy Jardines son is a Hibs fan. I could never ever imagine my sons or grand kids supporting anyone else bar Rangers. 

58 minutes ago, hammer time said:

According to an old copy of the wee red book only got 1 cap 1976 v Switzerland ?? 

And a class act like Bobby Russell was never capped at all, we must have had some top quality Scottish midfielders at the time if these two could not get a sniff, but thinking back that would have been Argentina 78 time and Don Masson and Bruce Rioch were 1st teamers, I am sure Doddie and Russell were better bets than that pair.

He struggled at the start but became a Rangers legend. Really the first box to box midfielder I can recall . Everyone talks about the goals he scored but the amount of work he put in was unreal. Always 100% never hid, my favourite player of that era even above Colin Stein which says a lot . For younger members very like Paul Scholes except Alex could tackle 

There wasn't anything he did not do well. Clever on the ball, ferocious in the tackle, great engine and heading ability. Link up play was excellent and tremendous spirit.

Remember a thunderous goal against Ajax.  I was going as a kid when he came from St Johnstone  as a left winger. He improved physically with us and became the all round player, rather than a winger. He always ran straight off the field at Old Firm games............no handshakes!:bow:

8 hours ago, HG5 said:

Good stuff!

I always pretended to be him when I was playing!

I was always Alex MacDonald or Johan Neeskens. I believe Alex was the better of the two.

Was amazing how many of the above goals were headers for such a wee guy. 

Our team is still crying out for an all round midfielder like Alex.